GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. vwengineer

ESP overreacting

Hey! I recently replaced my tie rod ends along with the shocks and springs. I initially made an alignment myself and was satisfied with it but once in a tight curve at about 40-50 km/h the ESP went on and began braking on the exterior front wheel. The car was not sliding at all, disabling the...
  2. vwengineer

Worn synchro on 6th or bad linkage adjustment?

Hey folks! I think I unfortunately have a dead synchro on the 6th gear, that seem a bit odd given you never downshift in it. Symptoms are the following, when accelerating hard in 2, 3, 4th then going directly in 6th it grinds. When putting the gearbox in neutral (clutch released) and revving...
  3. vwengineer

Bumpy ride

Hey! I have a question, I recently had to replace my front struts mounts/bearing. When doing this job, I bought used OEM springs and shocks as my car is over 200k miles, I figured out it could only be an improvement. The job done, I didn't really feel a difference in handling but the car feels...
  4. vwengineer

Clunk sound when doing 8-turns, steering rack?

Hello ! Since I replaced my struts bearings almost all my noises are gone. Car doesn't sound like an old wooden ship anymore, however, I still get one noise when doing 8 with the car (it's a part of the inspection that I have to pass soon). When turning left I don't have any noises but they...
  5. vwengineer

Twisted axle boot, how is that possible?

So I went ahead to replace my axle boot and cv joint (since I assumed it I got the whole kit for 22 euros). Now I drove 20km, no noise, everything seems good, I decided to check it anyway and this is what I found... Not sure what happens, my only lead is that the smallest collar is not tight...
  6. vwengineer

Mod idea, using residual engine heat to keep the cabin warm

Hello, I am wondering how complicated would it be to implement this function which exists on the other vehicles such as some MK6 and MK7 here. My idea would be to install a second electric coolant pump on one of the heater core lines and find a way to power up the HVAC without switching the...
  7. vwengineer

Is it a good idea/deal or not?

I have to replace my struts mounts as they make noise, now since I have to disassemble the struts, I thought it would be a good time to replace them (more than 200k miles). Now I found a set of 4 struts and springs OEM from a GTI Edition 30 (which are the same) with 60k miles, look good with...
  8. vwengineer

Oily/white spark plug, engine runs fine

Hey guys! So I replaced my spark plugs today after 60'000 miles as per the manual. Engine was running fine before, no misfires nothing. It is still running fine with the new plugs. However I am a bit puzzled about the color of the spark plugs, they all look a bit white which is normal I think...
  9. vwengineer

Oil filter housing: what's the purpose of this

What's the purpose of this pipe in the oil filter housing? I am not entirely sure mine had this Thanks!
  10. vwengineer

Turbo noise when cold at 1500 RPM?

Hey! Just discovered a new noise that I am not particularly fan of. Started the car today, temperature was 4C, drove gentle as usual but I noticed that at around 1500 RPM (out of boost so) if I gave say more than ~40% throttle there is some kind of howling/whining sound coming from the...
  11. vwengineer

Ticking noise when cornering at low speed

Hello! I just discovered a new noise. When cornering at very low speed on the left, a noise can be heard on the right side, it's like a tick-tick-tick. Not a metallic noise, it's more like the noise that the AC (flaps I think) sometimes make. It's also not significantly louder with windows...
  12. vwengineer

Stock engine, stock map running E85?

Hey guys, I'm tempted by a small experiment. I would like some advice, in France E85 is lots cheaper than standard unleaded because they give it a huge tax cut (it's about half the price) so a lot of shops there propose so called E85 kits (that increase the injection duration) or E85 remaps...
  13. vwengineer

Stuck rear caliper acting on the opposite side?

Hey everybody, I found a new issue. I had to replace the rear left brake disc splash shield as it was completely rusted through. Now I found that the caliper on this side was a bit stuck. Not too bad but the wheel was hard to turn (much more than on the right side). I thought maybe I should...
  14. vwengineer

Clutch pedal stuck/gears difficult to pass, read this!

So it's been the biggest issue I had with this car since I own it. When I bought it, the clutch pedal tended to stick to the floor sometimes, it was not really an issue since the car still got in gear and shifted right. I bleed the clutch a dozen of times, replaced the master cylinder twice...
  15. vwengineer

Leaking AC high pressure hose

Hello ! I suspect that my high pressure line was damaged doing my radiator job (you have to pull on it to get the radiator assembly to service position), doing that it rubbed against the frame, although the leak is not on the rubbing point so not sure if it's my fault. AC was still working...
  16. vwengineer

A/C pressure range?

Hey! As you know maybe on the Climatronic of this car, if you press the button ECO or AC in combination with the button "ventilation up" there an hidden menu opens. In this hidden menu you can get different data, for exemple if you go on menu 19-2 (on the left hand side display) you will get...
  17. vwengineer

New radiator with bent fins?

Hi everybody, I received my new radiator today (from Amazon), however the tape was broken on the box (did not see the delivery guy) and while the radiator seemed to be "intact" there are some bent fins. Not a huge issue from a cooling standpoint I guess but I am not sure if it's normal for a...
  18. vwengineer

High fuel consumption without reason until restart (ECM bug?)

Hey guys! It's been a bit more than one year that I own the car now and I encountered a strange situation. Yesterday I was driving on a small road and after 20 min, engine was at temperature and I did a strong pull after an intersection up to 50 mph in 2nd speed, then up-shifted directly to 6th...
  19. vwengineer

Leaking vacuum pump or shot check valve?

Hello ! Like some others on this forum I have a leaking vacuum pump (E revision) with an oil pool on my gearbox. Now I wanted to check if it was the pump which was leaking or the gasket between the pump and the block. So I cleaned everything thoroughly and put some painter's tape around the...
  20. vwengineer

Radiator overflow or coolant leak?

Hello, I am tracking down a coolant leak, took about 6 months to empty the expansion tank completely (until I got "check coolant level" on the dash). But the problem is that the coolant level seem to drop faster and faster so I should get it sorted out. I did not find any leaks around the...