GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
fuck me is the learning curve on diy tuning is steep. I have a Mine’s ROM in the wings I might just toss on and run 93 octane E10 and say fuck the DIY route.
the mine's part also has street clout

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
So you're paying for most of it right? if so, bruh.
Is the degree going to be a proper long term investment? Meaning, will she be making good cheddar after getting the piece of paper?

With most of my life ahead of me, I'm trying to pick up on things from others older than me. So I got a question. Separate bank accounts between me and future Mrs.Aspro forever?

IMO there's too much backlash against college degrees. Two thoughts - If you're going to school for pottery, yes you're most likely wasting your time. You have to be goal oriented enough to learn skills that actually matter. Even if I have an english lit degree, the skills to pull out of that are writing, communication, critical skills thinking, problem solving etc. Absolutely not things you can't pick up other places, but things you do have to work and practice at. it also matters what you are interested in - eg. in parallel to that degree i did nerd shit and ive worked in IT my entire career now and I dont regret a thing - i can communicate to my business properly enough that ill talk to anyone about anything, no worries. and then actually do what i was talking about in a technical sense.

The other thought is that you have to seperate undergrad and grad school. Undergrad - you can go to community college or literally anywhere if you're getting a general humanities degree. for STEM, it matters more because of the depth of learning - if you have never taken accounting 101 or econ 101, thats a big difference if your parents also never exposed you to that, for example. School theoretically helps fill in the gaps. Definitely not for everyone. Then grad school is for when you actually have realigned your head to be more focused. You need that extra learning to - become a doctor. Become a lawyer. get an mba or a research PHD etc. There is a huge merit to getting properly educated AND learning how to keep on educating yourself. not everyone needs university to get to that point - but a lot of people benefit. i have friends just as happy being high level mechanics and plumbers as i do friends who are network admins or directors at big companies. its your life. ;)

marriage finances are a whole separate thing that i also think are important / highly individualized. your money. do what you want with it. but in my fam, we share with logic. so we do have entirely separated accounts and we each pay for whatever makes sense. its been good to us for years and i dont see that changing. but would absolutely share without hesitation if she wanted to. we just never saw the need.

for school, we are taking on some big loans as neither of us have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved up to spend in the span of two years. but its an mba and im sure she'll be able to maximize her time @ a top ten school. if she was just going for the letters and paper, then no thats absolutely not worth it unless she was working for a corp who was willing to immediately cash it in - aka promotion upon grad. part of the value of these things is the forced network youre buying into which can help level up your networking at a time of life that it naturally shrinks like crazy. if youre married without kids, your social circle is probably not expanding that much unless youre very hyper about meeting new people and doing new things. its not like when youre a kid and everything is new so you're always meeting new people.

sorry - wall of text/im tired of using proper cap/punctuation.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
One of the kids on our team died on Monday. Cancer. Sad stuff, only 40. Wife, two kids, etc...

Work wise, absolutely sucks. Our team was already struggling because we lost a team member through layoffs a couple months ago. He was the counterpart to what I did, all the reports we produce I was the data guy, and he was the people person. At least for now, I gotta be the people person as well...

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
IMO there's too much backlash against college degrees. Two thoughts - If you're going to school for pottery, yes you're most likely wasting your time. You have to be goal oriented enough to learn skills that actually matter. Even if I have an english lit degree, the skills to pull out of that are writing, communication, critical skills thinking, problem solving etc. Absolutely not things you can't pick up other places, but things you do have to work and practice at. it also matters what you are interested in - eg. in parallel to that degree i did nerd shit and ive worked in IT my entire career now and I dont regret a thing - i can communicate to my business properly enough that ill talk to anyone about anything, no worries. and then actually do what i was talking about in a technical sense.

The other thought is that you have to seperate undergrad and grad school. Undergrad - you can go to community college or literally anywhere if you're getting a general humanities degree. for STEM, it matters more because of the depth of learning - if you have never taken accounting 101 or econ 101, thats a big difference if your parents also never exposed you to that, for example. School theatrically helps fill in the gaps. Definitely not for everyone. Then grad school is for when you actually have realigned your head to be more focused. You need that extra learning to - become a doctor. Become a lawyer. get an mba or a research PHD etc. There is a huge merit to getting properly educated AND learning how to keep on educating yourself. not everyone needs university to get to that point - but a lot of people benefit. i have friends just as happy being high level mechanics and plumbers as i do friends who are network admins or directors at big companies. its your life. ;)

marriage finances are a whole separate thing that i also think are important / highly individualized. your money. do what you want with it. but in my fam, we share with logic. so we do have entirely separated accounts and we each pay for whatever makes sense. its been good to us for years and i dont see that changing. but would absolutely share without hesitation if she wanted to. we just never saw the need.

for school, we are taking on some big loans as neither of us have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved up to spend in the span of two years. but its an mba and im sure she'll be able to maximize her time @ a top ten school. if she was just going for the letters and paper, then no thats absolutely not worth it unless she was working for a corp who was willing to immediately cash it in - aka promotion upon grad. part of the value of these things is the forced network youre buying into which can help level up your networking at a time of life that it naturally shrinks like crazy. if youre married without kids, your social circle is probably not expanding that much unless youre very hyper about meeting new people and doing new things. its not like when youre a kid and everything is new so you're always meeting new people.

remember that youre talking to someone who listens to joe rogan and jordan peterson frequently.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i got happily bent over yesterday.

there has been a sewage sort of smell in my basement for about 2 years (that i've noticed). tired closing up the floor drain, plugging the sink, inspecting the sump pump, couildn't make it any better or itentify where the issue was.

finally had a plumber out yesterday. they found lickety split that one of our plumbing vent tubes was disconnected but behind drywall. they had to remove drywall and extend/connect the pipe.

for a grand total of.... $670!! something i'm sure i could have done myself but was like ah fuck it they are here, they found it, etc

but man. how toxic is it to have prolonged exposure to sewage gas? i mean, the furnace was right there, pushing that shitty air all over the house for probably 30 years

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
i got happily bent over yesterday.

there has been a sewage sort of smell in my basement for about 2 years (that i've noticed). tired closing up the floor drain, plugging the sink, inspecting the sump pump, couildn't make it any better or itentify where the issue was.

finally had a plumber out yesterday. they found lickety split that one of our plumbing vent tubes was disconnected but behind drywall. they had to remove drywall and extend/connect the pipe.

for a grand total of.... $670!! something i'm sure i could have done myself but was like ah fuck it they are here, they found it, etc

but man. how toxic is it to have prolonged exposure to sewage gas? i mean, the furnace was right there, pushing that shitty air all over the house for probably 30 years

Was it a constant smell, or only when water was running for an extended period of time (like someone taking a shower)?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
If your kid starts growing extra limbs I guess you'll find out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Any HVAC guys in here?

Looks like there's a restriction near the coil, causing it to freeze up and pressures are all out of wack.

The company quoted me $10k for a cheap Goodman 4 ton system 10 year parts warranty or $14k for a Lenox 4 ton system with 10 year, parts, labor, refrigerant warranty.

I looked up the retail cost of each system and it looks like this place is charging $6000 labor for install.

That doesn't seem right to me.

I paid 10k for 2 systems installed so if that’s for one it seems high but I bought mine 2-3 years ago and not Florida. My system is a Goodman which used to be trash but from what the HVAC company was telling me (I trust them they are family friends) they have really stepped up their game. Most of the systems all share the same components you’re paying for warranty and name.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
One of the kids on our team died on Monday. Cancer. Sad stuff, only 40. Wife, two kids, etc...

Work wise, absolutely sucks. Our team was already struggling because we lost a team member through layoffs a couple months ago. He was the counterpart to what I did, all the reports we produce I was the data guy, and he was the people person. At least for now, I gotta be the people person as well...
That's rough man... sorry to hear it.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
you'll be fine. just rub some dirt on it and drink from the hose

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI

The other thought is that you have to seperate undergrad and grad school. Undergrad - you can go to community college or literally anywhere if you're getting a general humanities degree. for STEM, it matters more because of the depth of learning - if you have never taken accounting 101 or econ 101, thats a big difference if your parents also never exposed you to that, for example. School theatrically helps fill in the gaps. Definitely not for everyone. Then grad school is for when you actually have realigned your head to be more focused. You need that extra learning to - become a doctor. Become a lawyer. get an mba or a research PHD etc. There is a huge merit to getting properly educated AND learning how to keep on educating yourself. not everyone needs university to get to that point - but a lot of people benefit. i have friends just as happy being high level mechanics and plumbers as i do friends who are network admins or directors at big companies. its your life. ;)

Based - I love what you said
I don't believe that there are doors that are closed to you unless you go to school after HS (except being a doctor/lawyer/a few others).
School is so much money nowadays that it's hard to justify dropping 6 figures (taking a loan that will hamper you for a long time) for a degree.
I've got my career started and all I have is a HS diploma. Work experience is worth plenty (if not more - way more - in my opinion) in comparison to classroom experience.
Building out your network, working on projects to showcase your skills, and good previous manager recommendations can get you just as far as anyone with a degree. The nice part is... you don't have some insane loan to pay... rather you've made money working and have gained/gotten closer to financial freedom.

An MBA is something I consider. But it can always wait.
Besides, nowadays you can take a lot of college courses online or even free (as long as you have the discipline to teach yourself + carve out the time... way easier said than done)

Good to hear that its an MBA. Definitely a valuable degree (as opposed to a lot of other ones lol). I hope it pays off. Ann Arbor has this one really great school...

remember that youre talking to someone who listens to joe rogan and jordan peterson frequently.
And your point is...? Grow up man

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Dude, the roof is $18k.

FL sounds on the higher side.

10k for a metal roof but it was done by a roofer that is just him and his family.

I thought 10k was a great price for how much roof I have.

IMG_2172.jpeg

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Off tomorrow....my wknd starts early!

hopefully delivery of my pavilion
hooking up electrical to it (already run out to the spot) size out & order ceiling fan/decorative lighting
continue cleaning old cast aluminum furniture/ maybe starting to paint
possible oil leak on Comet
hike Sunday (maybe Friday too?)
Show Sunday (Hades Town)
Clean/store winter tires
Look into tires for Mrs Mud's car (08 CRV) they're done

I've already mentioned to Mrs Mud that next weekend will be some down time

1714658791756.jpeg