GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Finally got around to putting the OEM TIP back on instead of the MST

1000029041.jpg

Had some oil in the MST when i took it out. Not sure if that's normal.

1000029040.jpg

The reason i did this was smoking after turning and accelerating. Not so much the accelerating but when shifting, thanks to @Der Hase , we now know that positive pressure occurs off throttle with aftermarket TIP which causes oil to do something and cause the smoke.

So took it out for a drive and although it still smokes on right hand turns, not so much on left & looks like a lot less smoke. Maybe i need to go back to AP (at least i think that's what i had originally)

Part 2 (which is no different than part 1, but with more lame commentary)

Anyone know what this part is. No idea where it came from but it definetely didn't go back in

1000029043.jpg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mine had the same, and I believe it's common on pretty much all TIPs. Mine also had some spray up into the silicone tube itself because of my excessive crankcase pressure (I believe) from a bunch of small things adding up (failing PCV, N80, etc).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry for the double reply. I forgot I had photos. I may have actually posted them in here already on a previous page. This is from a couple months ago when I reverted back to stock.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Even the amount of oil looks identical

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I think it’s sucking oil into the valve when you go on throttle (diaphragm basically wide open for at least some time), then off throttle it gets slurped into the intake valve ports directly, then when you get back on throttle it ingests it all at a fast rate causing the smoking in this case.

I’m also still curious about your oil pan. If the baffle was removed or not.

Not sure how many miles you’ve put on it @MonkeyMD , but it could take a little while to “clean out” that valve assembly. Consider trying again in a few hundred miles.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think it’s sucking oil into the valve when you go on throttle (diaphragm basically wide open for at least some time), then off throttle it gets slurped into the intake valve ports directly, then when you get back on throttle it ingests it all at a fast rate causing the smoking in this case.

I’m also still curious about your oil pan. If the baffle was removed or not.

Not sure how many miles you’ve put on it @MonkeyMD , but it could take a little while to “clean out” that valve assembly. Consider trying again in a few hundred miles.

Baffle was not removed. I'm assuming you mean windage tray or it came with one. Either way, there's one there.

From that video, maybe 3 miles since i put the oem TIP in if that's what you mean

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Baffle was not removed. I'm assuming you mean windage tray or it came with one. Either way, there's one there.

From that video, maybe 3 miles since i put the oem TIP in if that's what you mean

Got it, yeah there's an OEM baffle when you drop the stock oil pan.

And yeah, if you've only put a few miles on the OEM TIP, give it a few dozen miles of romping on the car some to clear it out and try again - due to the way the PCVs are internally baffled, even though there are a few "drains"... it could take a little while for everything to clear up fully.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got it, yeah there's an OEM baffle when you drop the stock oil pan.

And yeah, if you've only put a few miles on the OEM TIP, give it a few dozen miles of romping on the car some to clear it out and try again - due to the way the PCVs are internally baffled, even though there are a few "drains"... it could take a little while for everything to clear up fully.
Man. Don't give me hope. I don't think i can handle any more letdowns.

I'll test in a few days. Already driven 100 miles today. We'll see

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Man. Don't give me hope. I don't think i can handle any more letdowns.

I'll test in a few days. Already driven 100 miles today. We'll see

I'm definitely not saying for sure it'll be "fine"... but based on my autocross runs last year logging KR (when I was on my failing OEM PCV)... it took a solid 3 runs to "fill up" the PCV with oil before it started registering knock between me and my codriver. Then it was pretty consistent across most runs after that, never clearing out. The one that has only the tiny blip on cyl 2(red near bottom right) was backed out of early on, IIRC due to a cone being hit. That run had an average of ~40% TPS, vs all the others at more like ~50% for reference.

1714701196299.png

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
Anyone know what this part is. No idea where it came from but it definetely didn't go back in

1000029043.jpg
06K103733C is holding plastic engine cover on the bottom right side (the closest to the air filter box, mounted on the 06K103392F bracket)

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Forgot to setup dongle/ST while on track this past weekend, but removing my ECS catch can, replacing AP PCV with BL Revision and putting back in the OEM TIP seemed to yield no smoking or discernable loss of power, so that's a win in my book.