GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Semting Headunit

BoulderEngineer

Car(s)
'08 GLI
I don't want to return it. the screen was not cracked b/c of what I did...it arrived cracked. It really is about CUSTOMER SERVICE and what type of company they are.

Don't misunderstand my post....I'm sure it was cracked when you got it. I'm saying that the only reason they would make you pay for it is if THEY thought otherwise.

That aside, any respectable company in that situation should replace it for you EVEN IF they think you may have been the one who broke it...Crutchfield would be apologizing profusely and over-nighting a new unit complete with a return shipping box.

If only all companies could be that easy to deal with.

All fairness to Rory though, he does seem to go to great lengths to ensure all problems are taken care of, and based on his response to the DOA question at the beginning of the thread I'm sure he'll have a solution.

I should mention that it's not a good situation for Semting either since it probably isn't their fault it broke during transit either...They really should offer insured shipping for everyone's sake.

Last edited:

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Don't misunderstand my post....I'm sure it was cracked when you got it. I'm saying that the only reason they would make you pay for it is if THEY thought otherwise.

That aside, any respectable company in that situation should replace it for you EVEN IF they think you may have been the one who broke it...Crutchfield would be apologizing profusely and over-nighting a new unit complete with a return shipping box.

If only all companies could be that easy to deal with.

All fairness to Rory though, he does seem to go to great lengths to ensure all problems are taken care of, and based on his response to the DOA question at the beginning of the thread I'm sure he'll have a solution.

I believe he will as well, he should be back tomorrow as well if his last post is accurate.

aplusmiami

Passed Driver's Ed
I did not notice the building renderings. I will check on that when I drive my GF car next time. Thanks for this. Works like a champ. I did notice one bug.. It periodically crashes and reloads itself just after completing a route. It may have something to do with the way I set it up... I credted my directory structure the same as iGo8 thinking it had to be that way. When it did not load it gave me that setup screen where I can browse to the executable. Worked fine and I never changed it back. so... IDK.

Otherwise... Works FANTASTIC! Love it. Better than my Kenwood / Garmin in my truck!

No 3D building that I noticed.

UmbroVR6

Passed Driver's Ed
idk if its been covered in this thread, but anyone know how to leave the dimmer at the #6 setting? everytime i turn off and turn on the radio it goes back to dimmer setting #1.

its annoying. also anyway to get the screen even brighter than that? perhaps a 10 setting? lol. setting 6 is good, but could be way better if brighter, any ideas?

this is for a touareg unit, which according to rory is exactly like the mk5 units.

other than that i think the unit is solid, the difference in sound quality is amazing!

thanks!

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I did not notice the building renderings. I will check on that when I drive my GF car next time. Thanks for this. Works like a champ. I did notice one bug.. It periodically crashes and reloads itself just after completing a route. It may have something to do with the way I set it up... I credted my directory structure the same as iGo8 thinking it had to be that way. When it did not load it gave me that setup screen where I can browse to the executable. Worked fine and I never changed it back. so... IDK.

Otherwise... Works FANTASTIC! Love it. Better than my Kenwood / Garmin in my truck!

I'm still running iGo8 and haven't yet tinkered with Primo like you have but I can honestly say the iGo software is amazing. Did a 1-hour test route with it the other day and it gave clear warnings in advance, updated quickly, and switching between the Navi screen and back to music was LIGHTNING quick by just hitting the Navi button.

oni242

Ready to race!
My screen burned out a few weeks ago. One day, smoke just came pouring out the the cd slot and black screen... I sent my unit back USPS International Priority Mail 3 weeks ago and they're saying they haven't received it yet. It was supposed to get there in around 5 business days. If they hadn't insisted on me listing the value at $50 on the customs form, I would have gotten it insured. Fuck.

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
My screen burned out a few weeks ago. One day, smoke just came pouring out the the cd slot and black screen... I sent my unit back USPS International Priority Mail 3 weeks ago and they're saying they haven't received it yet. It was supposed to get there in around 5 business days. If they hadn't insisted on me listing the value at $50 on the customs form, I would have gotten it insured. Fuck.

Oh shoot, now I'm worried. I sent mine back last week using USPS Express, and I hope they get it. I spent extra on Express just so I could track it.

Hopefully it's not lost or anything and everything works out for you.

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
Semting insisted that you list the value at $50? Was this to avoid paying customs fees on the return?

Yes

Why did you have to send yours back?

I posted a few pages back. Something went wrong with my screen. (See here). Basically it's washed out and there is a burn in effect when switching between screens.

Edit: Well I just checked my tracking number. It has reached China and is in transit to their location.

BoulderEngineer

Car(s)
'08 GLI
Yes

I posted a few pages back. Something went wrong with my screen. (See here). Basically it's washed out and there is a burn in effect when switching between screens.

Edit: Well I just checked my tracking number. It has reached China and is in transit to their location.

Ah yes I remember now...let's hope semting sorts it out for the both of you

BoulderEngineer

Car(s)
'08 GLI
idk if its been covered in this thread, but anyone know how to leave the dimmer at the #6 setting? everytime i turn off and turn on the radio it goes back to dimmer setting #1.

its annoying. also anyway to get the screen even brighter than that? perhaps a 10 setting? lol. setting 6 is good, but could be way better if brighter, any ideas?

this is for a touareg unit, which according to rory is exactly like the mk5 units.

other than that i think the unit is solid, the difference in sound quality is amazing!

thanks!

Read a few comments about the glare/brightness issue earlier in the thread, but nothing about the dimmer settings. I'm sure Rory can help when he gets back, which I think is today.

I'm considering one of these, and just for my reference, does your Touareg have tinted windows?

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
By the way, if you guys want more control over the picture, hit the PIC button on the remote. That will pull up brightness. Once it is up, you can type "123" on the remote to get even more detailed settings.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
By the way, if you guys want more control over the picture, hit the PIC button on the remote. That will pull up brightness. Once it is up, you can type "123" on the remote to get even more detailed settings.

Oooh - need to try this today.