GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strictly Subies.

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!

Just got off the truck! I can't wait to get these suckers clear coated and installed, gonna look tits!

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
:drool:

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
Are they also wider? Gonna paint?

+10mm so a little wider. I was going to paint but after seeing a dark grey gtr the other day with cf fenders I think I'm just going to clear them for UV protection. I think the dark grey and carbon contrast pretty nicely. These suckers are light too probably about 2-3lbs per side. The cardboard box they came in was heavier and the shipping weight was only 20lbs.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Time for stage 2!

Got em all done, lights are clear and crisp.
TSXr lenses fitted gotta clean her up and get some full on shots.

its really easy to do too as long as you have 2 or 3 days if you plan on painting them to let them dry. Otherwise I could have done the simple removal of amber and re-installation in probably 5-6 hours.
I think they came out great and the new projectors are very clear, the beam travels farther and noticeably clearer.

Mike, i'm super sick of my chrome headlights... and am considering baking them and blacking them out.

i LOVE how yours came out.

do you mind posting up the process of opening them up?
or pm'ing me the details?

and on a scale of noob to expert, how difficult it was.
i'm a tad bit intimidated by the idea. but. i also really really really hate that they're chrome. haha.

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
Mike, i'm super sick of my chrome headlights... and am considering baking them and blacking them out.

i LOVE how yours came out.

do you mind posting up the process of opening them up?
or pm'ing me the details?

and on a scale of noob to expert, how difficult it was.
i'm a tad bit intimidated by the idea. but. i also really really really hate that they're chrome. haha.

Its really easy, I've never modified headlamps before and I redid the entire proctector + paint in 2 days only because I wanted the paint to have ample time to dry.

I have a spare parts headlamp that I can show you how everything comes apart as well as removal of the head lamp itself. It requires removing the bumper but its really easy. I can have the bumper off and headlights off in all of about 10 minutes. Don't even have to jack the car up to get the bumper cover off.

I'm headed out to do another install this morning and I will get shots of the headlamp and bumper removal up by later this afternoon.

More parts for the money pit.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Its really easy, I've never modified headlamps before and I redid the entire proctector + paint in 2 days only because I wanted the paint to have ample time to dry.

I have a spare parts headlamp that I can show you how everything comes apart as well as removal of the head lamp itself. It requires removing the bumper but its really easy. I can have the bumper off and headlights off in all of about 10 minutes. Don't even have to jack the car up to get the bumper cover off.

I'm headed out to do another install this morning and I will get shots of the headlamp and bumper removal up by later this afternoon.

More parts for the money pit.

Mike, you're awesome.

and that Greddy.... wow.. jelly!!!

I'm thinking about baking my headlights AND taillights to black out the chrome.

lets have a baking party blaine!

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about baking my headlights AND taillights to black out the chrome.

Do it! the tail lights on the STI/WRX suck, can't bake them open you have to cut them.

We'll start with Bumper removal don't mind my broken factory bumper. I know 2010/2011 have a different front end but all the mounting hardware should be in the same place because they are interchangeable.

Start by removing these two clips from the underside of the bumper. There are two on each side right in front of the tire. They just pop down with a flat head screw driver then pull out.

Next go inside the wheel well you might need to turn the wheel for each side to get there out. There are 3 clips with a phillips head pattern on the top. Turn them 1/4 turn then they pop out. Above that there is one small push clip not pictured, but you have to push the center of it in then pull it out.
Again this is the same for both sides.

There are two more clip on the bottom of the bumper about where I put the two red dots on the lower portion center portion of my front bumper. They are the same as the rest of the underbody clips they just pop up and come out.

Now open the hood undo these four clips, they are the same as the ones on the underbody they just pop up and come out with a flat head screwdriver.

Now all of the hardware is removed from the front end. If you have fog lights don't forget to unclip the connector from the bulb. Pull on each side of the bumper outwards to unclip it from where it meets the fender by inside the wheel arch. Then pull from the middle grill area straight out and it should come right off now problems.

I didn't pull the bumper so I don;t have any pictures of the mounting screws for the headlights but right about where the four red dots I placed around the headlight there are 4 10mm black bolts. Remove those.

On the top of the headlamp you'll have 1 clip off to the far corner and one bolt circled that need to removed.

On halogen headlamps there is only one connector that needs to be unplugged to remove the headlamp.

There are about 4 or 5 of these silver phillips headed screws around the outer edge of the lamp on the back side. Remove those.

I don't bake my headlights since my oven is not big enough so I use a heat gun set to around 350*-400*. Go around the outer edge of the headlamp and continue to heat it. I use these areas where the clips are to get an idea as to when the glue is ready to come apart. There should be some exposed adhesive inbetween those areas on your unopened headlight. Keep an eye on it and keep heating untill it becomes tacky. Then I start by prying on those areas using a twisting action with some different interior body tools like these.

Once you have the clips loosened so you don't break them I start from the top of the lamp where its pointed and I can just pull them apart. It will most likely be very tacky I try not to remove any of the adhesive that is there on the headlamp for resealing purposes so I just go along the stuck areas with the heat gun and it will shred right apart.

After you open it up this is what you will get. There are 3 screws holding the plastic portion to the lens cover.

Again they are all around the endge of the plastic portion. Just unscrew them and pull the plastic from the lens cover.

Then you are left with this. The orange marker that is on the side is only held in by one or two screws you will see it if you want that removed.
As far as prep work for the paint since there are a lot of small grooves I just went over the entire portion with a fine steel wool. Washed it up let it dry then hit it with primer, paint, clear. No sanding in between I didn't see it being needed since you only need to do a light coat or two.

When you put it back together I initially did not use any additional adhesive I just used what was on there since I did not remove much at all. Just heat up the two edges again with the heat gun untill its good and tacky. Press them together, insert the screws that hold the lens cover to the headlamp and if you want just press them together for a few minutes untill everything is dry.

And a quick one with the new Greddy TiC fart cannon

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
mike. you're the man! seriously. so greatly appreciate it.

i'm going to tackle this in the next few weeks. i think i'll order up my hella horns too. since i'll be taking off the bumper haha.

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
mike. you're the man! seriously. so greatly appreciate it.

i'm going to tackle this in the next few weeks. i think i'll order up my hella horns too. since i'll be taking off the bumper haha.

Hey man no problem, anything to get another pair of chrome headlamps off the road. :bellyroll:

utekineir

Banned
My question to you guys is any good forums for the newer rex's? and any recommendations to close the wheel gap?

1) nasioc

2) on nasioc In the main section of your local regional forum ask what $300 coils to buy.

If that fails just check the suspension section there.