GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Endless MX-72 review

Well I think I have the "Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers". Junker started this thread and was making claims about a particular setup so I decided to go that route and see for myself.

Previous setup
  • TyrolSport front stiffners
  • Hawk HPS pads all around

My "Ultimate upgrade..." setup that I mostly copied from OP
  • Tyrolsport front stiffners
  • Endless MX-72 pads front
  • Hawk HPS pads rear
  • Geomet drilled slotted rotors front and back
  • Neuspeed stainless lines all around
  • ATE Blue

I have now had the system for a few weeks and everything is well bedded in. Yesterday and this morning I was able to really put the new system to work and compare them to my previous Hawk HPS setup in some aggressive driving.

Yesterday I took it through some twisties that had me running some triple digit speeds on the straights with big slow downs for the turns and the brakes were wonderful with zero fade. Today I went for some straight high speed triple digit runs with the express purpose of bringing the car down to zero as quickly as possible. Simply put I was VERY impressed with how hard this thing stops. The pedal is so deep you can just keep applying pressure and the braking force just keeps coming (well past my HPS setup). I can now see what Junker was talking about.

Jolting the brakes by literally stomping on them can call ABS into operation but that happens currently only under what would be very extreme circumstances. Normal track type braking does not cause that. There is a way to use my VAG cable to minimize the stomp/ABS effect which I will do today.

Retail cost + shipping guesstimate
  • 115 TyrolSport Stiffners
  • 375 Endless Front Pads
  • 70 Hawk HPS
  • 350 GeoMet slotted and drilled rotors
  • 220 Neuspeed Stainless lines
  • 30 ATE Blue

1160 Total - not cheap but very reasonable and what a great upgrade. My actual cost was a bit less because I picked up the Neuspeed lines for 100 and the rotors for 200 through the forum from members that had never installed the parts and no longer wanted or needed them so my cost for part was a bout 890 total.

Still cheaper than going with actual caliper upgrades and the unsprung weight is still pretty low. I am very happy with the setup and would recommend it. It pulls the car down so hard you will scare the poop out of first time passengers. And most importantly the MX72 is perfectly suitable for daily driver use, cold first stops are very good. Pads do warm up and get better but even a cold stop is as good as my HPS pads warmed up.

Note - an added plus - the MX72 pads produce VERY little dust after 2 days of really putting the brakes to work and running a clean rag on my front wheels there is almost no dust. With my HPS setup the rag would be black with dust.

Note - these MX72 pads go about their work very quietly - I never thought the HPS pads were especially loud but you could really hear them work when hit hard, these MX72 pads just do their work so quietly that I actually notice how quiet they are.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Did I already tell that this Scirocco has Öhlins dampers and Movit brakes
with Endless pads? :23:

http://www.rent4ring.de/de/#c172

And yes, the owner of these cars does know about preparing a car for
the ring pretty well.

0_rocco_w.bbca41d9cebfd47d17c7d05ccdb6668489.jpg[/IMG]

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Well I think I have the "Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers". Junker started this thread and was making claims about a particular setup so I decided to go that route and see for myself.

Previous setup
  • TyrolSport front stiffners
  • Hawk HPS pads all around

My "Ultimate upgrade..." setup that I mostly copied from OP
  • Tyrolsport front stiffners
  • Endless MX-72 pads front
  • Hawk HPS pads rear
  • Geomet drilled slotted rotors front and back
  • Neuspeed stainless lines all around
  • ATE Blue

I have now had the system for a few weeks and everything is well bedded in. Yesterday and this morning I was able to really put the new system to work and compare them to my previous Hawk HPS setup in some aggressive driving.

Yesterday I took it through some twisties that had me running some triple digit speeds on the straights with big slow downs for the turns and the brakes were wonderful with zero fade. Today I went for some straight high speed triple digit runs with the express purpose of bringing the car down to zero as quickly as possible. Simply put I was VERY impressed with how hard this thing stops. The pedal is so deep you can just keep applying pressure and the braking force just keeps coming (well past my HPS setup). I can now see what Junker was talking about.

Jolting the brakes by literally stomping on them can call ABS into operation but that happens currently only under what would be very extreme circumstances. Normal track type braking does not cause that. There is a way to use my VAG cable to minimize the stomp/ABS effect which I will do today.

Retail cost + shipping guesstimate
  • 115 TyrolSport Stiffners
  • 375 Endless Front Pads
  • 70 Hawk HPS
  • 350 GeoMet slotted and drilled rotors
  • 220 Neuspeed Stainless lines
  • 30 ATE Blue

1160 Total - not cheap but very reasonable and what a great upgrade. My actual cost was a bit less because I picked up the Neuspeed lines for 100 and the rotors for 200 through the forum from members that had never installed the parts and no longer wanted or needed them so my cost for part was a bout 890 total.

Still cheaper than going with actual caliper upgrades and the unsprung weight is still pretty low. I am very happy with the setup and would recommend it. It pulls the car down so hard you will scare the poop out of first time passengers. And most importantly the MX72 is perfectly suitable for daily driver use, cold first stops are very good. Pads do warm up and get better but even a cold stop is as good as my HPS pads warmed up.

Note - an added plus - the MX72 pads produce VERY little dust after 2 days of really putting the brakes to work and running a clean rag on my front wheels there is almost no dust. With my HPS setup the rag would be black with dust.

Note - these MX72 pads go about their work very quietly - I never thought the HPS pads were especially loud but you could really hear them work when hit hard, these MX72 pads just do their work so quietly that I actually notice how quiet they are.

we have the exact same set-up except that my rotors are the slotted ones, I really love the stopping power of my car right now.:thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
we have the exact same set-up except that my rotors are the slotted ones, I really love the stopping power of my car right now.:thumbsup:

The brakes really are amazing once this has been done and unfortunately it doesn't translate well to text. You just have to drive a car with this setup to believe it. And to appreciate how quiet they are and how little dust is generated you really have to own it. This turned out to be a great upgrade to go along with my K04.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
The brakes really are amazing once this has been done and unfortunately it doesn't translate well to text. You just have to drive a car with this setup to believe it. And to appreciate how quiet they are and how little dust is generated you really have to own it. This turned out to be a great upgrade to go along with my K04.

I used to have the Hawk HP+ on the front and boy those are annoyingly noisy! The endless pads on the other hand are really quite and like you said, very little dust. It's AWESOME!!!:biggrin:

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
VCDS updates have been made:

1. Turned off the brake pad wear sensor
  2. Changed ABS braking threshold (Channel 9) from 00 to 02
  3. Turned off emergency braking lights

I'll update in a few days after I have time to try everything out. :thumbsup:

Can't seem to find these categories in VAG COM, can you provide any info?

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Sorry for the delay Nataraki.

This is from earlier in the thread. Check this out and let us know how it goes:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3351535&postcount=17

I also list some setting info in MY Garage.

Hey thanks for this Junker! I spent a little longer time messing with VAGCOM this weekend having at hand the VCDS DIY that's on the sticky and I managed to disable the brake pad sensor. I'll try to do the ABS threshold next time:thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Update 2014 after 3.5 months with the Endless setup

Pads are wearing very well and are still silent. The setup is a very nice match for a daily driver. It was a fun effort, easy to do, works very well but it is a little pricey because of the price of the Endless pads.

Had to do a panic stop yesterday, full on, pedal to the floor and the brakes really performed even better than I would have thought they could do. I have let others drive my car that also have stock VW GTI's etc and they all comment about the brakes but mostly about the K04....

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
I'm running ATE fluid right now, and the Endless is a lot better. Hard to say if it is worth $60 more but I'll probably go back to it next bleed.

Good thing is that you don't hear about brakes unless there is a problem! ;)

TyrolSport

Passed Driver's Ed

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. Definitely looking forward to some reviews! ;)

For those that want the ultimate in brake feel and performance using the stock calipers, check out our latest product, the MasterBracket. Mk5s and Mk6s have a lot of firewall flex at the Master Cylinder, resulting in long pedal travel regardless of pads, lines, or even our caliper stiffening kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oI2ExSWQUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oI2ExSWQU

http://www.tyrolsport.com/brakes/tyrolsport-master-bracket/

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Thanks that product looks great!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For those that want the ultimate in brake feel and performance using the stock calipers, check out our latest product, the MasterBracket. Mk5s and Mk6s have a lot of firewall flex at the Master Cylinder, resulting in long pedal travel regardless of pads, lines, or even our caliper stiffening kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oI2ExSWQUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oI2ExSWQU

http://www.tyrolsport.com/brakes/tyrolsport-master-bracket/

Any chance you will put them on sale for 199.99? I would really like one but it will take me a while to warm up to the price. I do have the subframe kit, brake stiffner... Like em both, like the quality of the products.