GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cracked hot-side on turbo

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
. Just give it 2-3 more years ...there will be fucked turbo threads all over this forum.

As I said, I'm happy to replace a turbo for $350 for the enjoyment I get out of the increased performance. Besides, I had 75,000 miles over 4 years of HARD track miles; I don't think the turbo owed me anything anyway. I think your only gonna hear about fryed turbos from guys like me, not guys that get their groceries with their car and race their buddies Civic on the street once in a while. Your opinion is noted, but I disagree.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I am hoping the problem is fixed!
I talked to my mechanical engineer friend at UCSD at he comments a few facts (cut him some slack, he rides corolla chassis) he asks if you ride dsg v manual? dsg will continue to boost (dsg not actuating the pressure blow-off btw shifts) through each gear (because you don't lift the throttle). Manual tranny's will only post this problem. Kid's boost too high at low rev's...idk talk to him. Idk when you purchased your mk5, but it should be covered under warrantee if you purchased it new. However, if you or the previous owner even chipped the car....well the $350 is hella cheap.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
I like this thread.

Sub'd

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Manual tranny's will only post this problem. Kid's boost too high at low rev's...idk talk to him. Idk when you purchased your mk5, but it should be covered under warrantee if you purchased it new. However, if you or the previous owner even chipped the car....well the $350 is hella cheap.

It was a manual, I bought it new, and it was chipped and outside of the warranty period, so I have no idea how it would have been covered under warranty.

BTW people, I NO LONGER HAVE THE CAR. I have an MKVI now, I'm just hearing about all of this now because the dealer is fixing it before they sell it. I think people are missing that point...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Sure enough, they found a big crack in the "hot side" of the turbo. He surmised it was from prolonged periods of running at super hot temps, with sort of sudden cool down at some point. Not sure I buy that exactly.

I also wonder if was caused by my driving style on the track?

It's from excessive EGT's. This is exactly why we keep things like 'component protection' in place. Excessive EGT's can destroy your turbo, especially if you plan to to take it to the track and run for hours at Wide open throttle.

Looks like you made a good move by picking up APR on the MK6. :wink::wink:

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
It's from excessive EGT's. This is exactly why we keep things like 'component protection' in place. Excessive EGT's can destroy your turbo, especially if you plan to to take it to the track and run for hours at Wide open throttle.

Looks like you made a good move by picking up APR on the MK6. :wink::wink:

Hmmmmm, well does that mean I'm gonna have problems at the track with the turbo pulling back boost or going into limp mode or something?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
With APR software? Nope. If EGT's get too hot, there are routines to protect the turbo and engine components. The particular routine is called Component Protection. Essentially it will alter your AFR to increase fuel till EGT's sustain. On the dyno we are able to hold the engine at peak HP and watch EGT's rise. This can last as long as 5 minutes on the dyno! We have calibrated component protection to essentially make EGT's sustain at a set level that the turbo manufacturer says is safe for long periods of time.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
With APR software? Nope. If EGT's get too hot, there are routines to protect the turbo and engine components. The particular routine is called Component Protection. Essentially it will alter your AFR to increase fuel till EGT's sustain. On the dyno we are able to hold the engine at peak HP and watch EGT's rise. This can last as long as 5 minutes on the dyno! We have calibrated component protection to essentially make EGT's sustain at a set level that the turbo manufacturer says is safe for long periods of time.

Sweet well that's good to know! You guys are just all sorts of clever...

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
People often disregard my comments saying that chipping these cars puts the turbo FAR past its effeciency range causing it to get extremely hot.

This has several effects such as decreasing oil life/consumption and destroying your turbo at a MUCH faster rate. Just give it 2-3 more years ...there will be fucked turbo threads all over this forum.

I'm ok with buying a new turbo every three years for the enjoyment at the track.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
With APR software? Nope. If EGT's get too hot, there are routines to protect the turbo and engine components.
Interesting. That explains some of the dyno A/F curves I've seen that show the the A/F going rich for no apparent reason.

Arin, how is EGT determined by the ECU? Is there some sort of model or estimator? I'm not aware of an EGT sensor.

sloMk5

2007 GTI
Here we go again...and it's a two for one with EGT propaganda and TSI hype! LOL.

I have both APR and Revo and they both run very similar EGT's. In fact I've seen my highest numbers with the APR tune.