GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lubricants - What are you using?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
good to know, I had previously come across another user that had rear diff issues using non-OEM oil, so I decided to not risk it.

I also had my MKII GTI close ratio tranny rebuilt by Kraftwerks in the mid 90's and he recommended OEM oil for all his race cars.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Did you use 5w40? I check my car every week, and over the course of 7000 miles, i've put *maybe* half a quart into it.

I think Mobil 1 only has the 0w-40 that's approved, but my manual says 5w-30 is acceptable and that's what I currently use. Stage 1.

KerryChadderton

Car(s)
08 MKV GTI
Thanks for the replies!

That gives me a good list. I guess the lubricants, metallurgy and designs are so good now that that not much over stock is needed.

I deal more with older cars; 911/944s, Datsun Zs, LBCs and they often change their characteristics solely based on what lubricants are in them. All other things being equal of course.

Mobil 1 and Lubrimoly make it easier!

barische

Go Kart Champion
I bit the bullet n put in shockproof + redline MTL.. Feels pretty good at cold mornings. But feels like its Too thin when it gets hot when pushing it. Ask me how i got shitty 2nd gear snycro - gear300 n cold weather.

Edit: changed to gm synchromesh n redline MTL mix - much better!!

Last edited:

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Motul 8100 xcess 5w40 and ate super blue for the brakes use to use the dealer castrol total crap in my opinion car runs so much better with the motul 8100 but what are you guys using for the transmission fluid I was thinking going oem since I don't track the car that much are there any other tranny fluids looking at for street use I live in canada so it gets really cold here

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
I've used Euro Mobil1 0W-40 & 5W-40 Turbo Diesel with the latter being better, Euro Castrol (the older formula) 5W-30 & Total Energy 9000 5W-40. Things seem to run smoother/better with the latter three but I think Mobil 1 may have changed their formula to make their 0W-40 better these days. Basically, I stick with Total and switch to Mobil 0W-40 if I know I'll be in cold/snow conditions.

Maximum6

FASTER
Why use Motul 300 transmission fluid?

Are you guys experiencing heat issues on track day for the Manual Transmission?

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
Just put some Liqui Moly 5W-40 in my S4 and might switch to that for my R32 as well after I finish my stock of Total.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Shell Rotella T6 5-40w
ATE 200

I took the GTI to its first track day. Blew threw a full tank of fuel and used virtually no oil and the brakes held up beautifully (ATE 200, Hawk plus on Golf R calipers). I shared the car with a family member and we were drivng back to back sessions with no breaks.

I was using Mobil 5-40w and oil consumption was much higher, using much less oil now.