GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shark Fin Delete

martin27

Ready to race!
I dont need my shark fin since I dont use the stock Sirius tuner. Has anyone done a delete for this? How did you plug or cover the hole? Looking to see if anyone has done and fast, cheap, clean solutions for the square hole.

Thanks in advance!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Curious as well.

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG
I dont need my shark fin since I dont use the stock Sirius tuner. Has anyone done a delete for this? How did you plug or cover the hole? Looking to see if anyone has done and fast, cheap, clean solutions for the square hole.

Thanks in advance!

I'll give you $25 shipped for your fin once you delete it :D

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
The shark fin antennae is attached between the headliner and the roof.
You don't need to remove the headliner, but you do need to drop it down for access.
Getting the clearance to drop the headliner down is the BIG task, so know that up front.

Here we go....

IF YOU'VE GOT A 4 DOOR:

-Remove seat bench
-Remove 4-door side upholstery (both sides; there are slightly different procedures for removal with or without rear side airbags)

IF YOU HAVE A 2 DOOR:

-Remove seat bench
-Remove backrest (both sides)
-Remove upper B-pillar trim. (both sides) (Belt anchor or belt anchor rail do not need to be removed)
-Remove door sill trim (both sides)
-Remove side trim (both sides)

Now that you're done with the specifics, this part applies to all vehicles

-Remove luggage compartment cover side compartment (both sides)
-Remove roof end strip
-Remove airbag emblem and remove screw (both sides)
-Remove C-pillar trim (both sides)
-Remove both rear interior grab handles as applicable.***
-Carefully lower molded headliner slightly in rear area.
-Remove nut (just one nut holds antenna in place)
-Disconnect electrical connections
-There is/are short cable(s) to connector(s) nearby, break the connection there.
(1 to 3 wires / connections depending on equipment and model year.)

*** Note that there is a potential for trouble when removing the grab handles. During factory assembly, the handles are mounted to their retaining clips before the headliner is installed. The clips are often distorted when the headliner is later put in place. It is possible once a handle is removed - the screws will not go back in to re-install. When this occurs, the entire headliner must be dropped, the clips replaced and the handles attached before re-installing the headliner (as per VW TSB).

Good Luck!

EDIT: Oh, and you're gonna have about a 3/4" by 3/4" hole in your roof afterwards....as far as I've seen, there's no "plug" for it.

wolflen

Ready to race!
"*** Note that there is a potential for trouble when removing the grab handles. During factory assembly, the handles are mounted to their retaining clips before the headliner is installed. The clips are often distorted when the headliner is later put in place. It is possible once a handle is removed - the screws will not go back in to re-install. When this occurs, the entire headliner must be dropped, the clips replaced and the handles attached before re-installing the headliner (as per VW TSB).

Good Luck!

EDIT: Oh, and you're gonna have about a 3/4" by 3/4" hole in your roof afterwards....as far as I've seen, there's no "plug" for it.

ya know...that shark fin is looking better and better ...

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
It makes your car cut through the air easier, even when its located at the very end of the car, fact.