GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird series of noises-please help!

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
Hi guys,

Was hoping you might be able to help. This arvo jumped in my car, started driving around 20kmh then the following sounds occurred:
1) ongoing metal on metal scraping sound that was very loud
2) this then became a screeching whistling sound almost like something was deflating
3) then a series of thuds and and bangs then a series of sounds reminiscent of putting a peg into your spokes of your push bike

So of course I kept pulling over to look for the source but nothing,nothing I could see was loose or hanging off etc, engine on, no noise, start driving and the last set of noises occurred. Then about 2km later nothing-no more sounds at all and no apparent issues with braking, steering accelerating etc

i have recently had my front brakes completely replaced as in full brake kit-the rears were left untouched but they have got 74K on them.

My only guess is something to do with the recent brake mod or rear pads dying in the ass but as stated I drove another 50km and there were no issues.

Hope you guys can help as I'm a bit concerned to say the least.

Cheers

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
My prediction is small stone trapped between the rotor and the heatshield (I can't think of the proper name right now - the circular metal sheet behind the rotor).

I've had it before - thought my car was going to die. horrible, horrible sounds.
The stone works its way out (or is ground down - either way), making a range of other awful sounds on the way out.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Screw coming loose from somewhere underneath the front fender [associated with fender plastics] then rattling loose around your wheel/brakes then being finally spat out?? :iono: Those fender screws can come loose occasionally - it's happened to me before. I'd get under your car & have a really good at all your lines etc to be sure.

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
Hi Tinto,

Thanks mate-you could be well right as I had just left an all-stone car park doh!
Far out I hope that was it....

My prediction is small stone trapped between the rotor and the heatshield (I can't think of the proper name right now - the circular metal sheet behind the rotor).

I've had it before - thought my car was going to die. horrible, horrible sounds.
The stone works its way out (or is ground down - either way), making a range of other awful sounds on the way out.

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
Thanks Doug,

I'll go and have a look soon.

Cheers

Screw coming loose from somewhere underneath the front fender [associated with fender plastics] then rattling loose around your wheel/brakes then being finally spat out?? :iono: Those fender screws can come loose occasionally - it's happened to me before. I'd get under your car & have a really good at all your lines etc to be sure.

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
Sorry Doug dumb ass question coming-do you mean check brake lines for any damage caused by offending stone/screw as there might be a safety issue?

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Yep. I assume you also had braided/stainless steel lines installed with your upgraded front brake kit though?? They are pretty much bullet proof. Agree 100% with tinto, too.

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
Yes they're kick-ass lines so hopefully they'll be ok. i'm having the rear pads done soon so I'll get them to check them out.
Thanks again

Yep. I assume you also had braided/stainless steel lines installed with your upgraded front brake kit though?? They are pretty much bullet proof. Agree 100% with tinto, too.

Androo

lolwut... ??
I'm with tinto +1

Happened to my girlfriends car on the weekend, took the wheel off and gave the disc a bit of a shake and a stone fell out.

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
hey OnPole01 - You okies mate???

I read in the news today a male driver driver in richmond driving a golf died in an accident with a semi trailer and the person was an ADF personell and I know you work for the ADF out at richmond!!

I dropped you an SMS and tried to call no response mate?

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
hi guys,

yeah all good-I work there at the Base and I spent today working with the Squadrons re the members involved in the accident-really terrible stuff and such a a sad loss of life. A horrible T section to get into the Base and something really needs to be done there.

Just wanted to say thanks guys for your help with my issue last night re the noises-you guys are awesome and really diggin the forum again.

Cheers

AKs-R32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32

X2 its happened to me! i was crying cause i couldn't figure it out originally! lol

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
hahaha! Yes mate it's the most scariest sound-like the car is falling to pieces

X2 its happened to me! i was crying cause i couldn't figure it out originally! lol