GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing LED Tail Lights....Need Detailed DIY

PublicEnemy

My couch pulls out.I dont
Hey guys so after tons of searching I haven't been able to find a thorough DIY for installing Valeo LED tails. I'm looking to do the full job and take no shortcuts.

Things I know:
1) I am going to need to run two new wires from the CECM(what/where is this?....central electronics control module?...Guess) to the new tails.
2) I am going to need to run that short wire from my new euro headlight switch to the CECM.

If anyone knows where a detailed DIY is for this install please point me in the right direction. Pics of where the new wires go into the CECM is really what I'm looking for! Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Everywhere I've found detailed info was on Jetta LEDs - not GTI. I'd be interested in a good detailed GTI DIY as well, VAG-COM info, wiring info, etc.

PublicEnemy

Exactly! I would pull the trigger on these in a heartbeat if I felt comfortable that the install would go smooth. Someone here has to have some good information and pictures! Thanks guys

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Also...the CECM is in the driver side foot well. You have to remove two torx screws that are attached to the dark/smooth plastic cover. When it drops down you will be presented with an abundance of wires including the CECM. There's a picture of it in the link I posted above.

PublicEnemy

Also...the CECM is in the driver side foot well. You have to remove two torx screws that are attached to the dark/smooth plastic cover. When it drops down you will be presented with an abundance of wires including the CECM. There's a picture of it in the link I posted above.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. So are all the pigtails labeled/numbered so I know where to put the new wires? I have never added a wire before so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I have heard people talk about using a paper clip to push them out. I think I am just going to have to drop it down and take a look. Thanks

The second method is to run two new wires, one to each side, from the Central Electronics Controller (J519) to the taillights. To do this, you need access to the central electronics controller. I found the Jetta rear foglight DIY to have better instructions than my Bentley manual. To connect the wires to the central electronics controller, you will need VW part 000 979 025. This wire works just like the one for the taillights. Cut this wire in half and install the wire for the left (Driver's) side to connector C, terminal 10. Install the wire for the right (passenger's) side to connector B, terminal 9. 

The above is from your link. So are you saying that I should get VW part 000 979 025 cut it in half so I have the connectors on each end so I can just slide them into the terminals on the pigtails and then splice on more length to run them to the rear? So really I need to get two VW part 000 979 025 so I have one for the rear foglights (euro switch to cecm) and another for the "b" and "c" terminals to splice into for more length to the rear?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/Rear_Fog_Lights_Cable/ES265357/

Will this work the same as this VW part 000 979 025? Or am I just confused?

Last edited:

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
A paperclip can work, but I've since invested in the Schwaben Terminal Removal tool set which has helped immensely with any and all electrical work I've done with the car.

The link above tells you which order the wires will need to be in. When moving wires at the tail lights just use the brown wire as a "starting point" as it will never move :thumbsup:

Update here or shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

PublicEnemy

A paperclip can work, but I've since invested in the Schwaben Terminal Removal tool set which has helped immensely with any and all electrical work I've done with the car.

The link above tells you which order the wires will need to be in. When moving wires at the tail lights just use the brown wire as a "starting point" as it will never move :thumbsup:

Update here or shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Ok sounds great. I guess I am wondering about the wire you talked about needing and cutting in half. In my above post did I have it right about using it to slide both ends into the cecm and then splicing in more length to the rear?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Well the two wires you get (one for the CECM and one for the tail lights) will be cut in half as they are terminated on each end. By cutting them in half you now have four pigtails in total (2 for the CECM and 2 for the tail lights) which you can attach to a piece of wire to run to the rear. That might sound a little confusing...

Basically the larger connector attaches to the tail light and the smaller connector attaches to the CECM. You will then do the following:

- Run 2 wires from the CECM to each tail light (1 for each tail)
- Connect the wires to the pigtails that plug into the CECM (make sure you know which is left and right)
- Connect the pigtails at the tail lights to the wires from the CECM (again...making sure you are connecting the correct wire to the left/right tail light)

You will not need to cut any of the existing wires running to your tail lights if you plan on running the 4th wire.

PublicEnemy

Well the two wires you get (one for the CECM and one for the tail lights) will be cut in half as they are terminated on each end. By cutting them in half you now have four pigtails in total (2 for the CECM and 2 for the tail lights) which you can attach to a piece of wire to run to the rear. That might sound a little confusing...

Basically the larger connector attaches to the tail light and the smaller connector attaches to the CECM. You will then do the following:

- Run 2 wires from the CECM to each tail light (1 for each tail)
- Connect the wires to the pigtails that plug into the CECM (make sure you know which is left and right)
- Connect the pigtails at the tail lights to the wires from the CECM (again...making sure you are connecting the correct wire to the left/right tail light)

You will not need to cut any of the existing wires running to your tail lights if you plan on running the 4th wire.

Ok....So I think I have it right. Are the part numbers right?? I don't know if the 000979025A is the right cable with the right terminals. If I have it wrong can you show me which one it is that I need? The one listed says it isn't available from ecs anymore. Thanks

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Your picture is correct except for the blue wire in your diagram. The tail lights will need to use either VW part 000 979 141 or VW part 000 979 151 as the tail light harness uses larger terminals.

Just make sure you connect the left/right wire for the tail light to the correct terminal on the CECM. All that is detailed in the link I initially posted above.

VW part 000 979 025 is used to connect to the terminals on the CECM. When I got my Euro R32 tail lights a wire was included to setup the rear fog light, but I don't recall the part number. You could just get an additional VW part 000 979 025 wire and cut it in half if you need to.I think the one that came with my tails was grey/black (don't remember for sure).

The wire you need for the tail lights fits, but not a snug as the others so keep that in mind when doing your setup. I found that after locking the harness (pushing the violet plastic piece on the harness back into place) it would not come out and works just fine.