GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR FMIC and S3 FMIC Comparison

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I swapped my S3 FMIC for APRs FMIC in preparation for upgrading to stage 3. I took some pics during the install so everyone could see a comparison of the two together. Unfortunately my MAF sensor took a **** so I can't provide any feedback on a performance comparison level but I'll try to update this thread once I have it replaced. I definitely hear my stock turbo much better with the APR than I did with the S3 using stock hoses. The pics were taken from my iphone so they suck. The S3 is in the middle. I also threw in a pic of my new Miro 111s on Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics.

]

Last edited:

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I like the wheels. 18's? Lighter than huffs?

Do you need any modifications to any part of your frame in the front for the APR IC?
How did Arin made his IC on his car so visible... Cause you have to put that black thing(radiator I assume) back on.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
No mods needed and I am DSG. I had about a 1/4 inch of gap between the hose and the dsg oil pan. I havent seen his car but I imagine he has the AC condenser removed if the FMIC is visible. That's the black grate in front. The radiator sits behind the fmic.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Lol. I was wondering how long it would be until somebody asked that. Sorry bra my buddy beat you to it but after seeing the apr he might hold off. I'll let you know.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
damn i never noticed thats one big ass intercooler. what r u doing with the s3 ??

GTIWV

WV VW
Lol. I was wondering how long it would be until somebody asked that. Sorry bra my buddy beat you to it but after seeing the apr he might hold off. I'll let you know.

Well just let me know, im sure we could work something out. im not that far away from you

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
damn i never noticed thats one big ass intercooler. what r u doing with the s3 ??

Yes, it is one big ass intercooler. Holding the APR in one hand and the S3 in the other is no comparison. The APR has to weigh twice as much and is huge! My buddy was going to buy my S3 since he has the stock ic.

Thanks for the inquiries guys and for viewing this post. I'll update this thread if my friend doesn't buy my s3.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Ok there's a few people in line but if the s3 goes up for sale and no one picks it up I could use it. I am actually waiting for mine in the mail but I could always send it to my buddy I owe him a few favors.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
So my MAF issue turned out not to be a MAF issue at all but instead was a leak due to the o-ring missing from the adapter that goes between the pancake pipe and hose to the FMIC. Removing this o-ring from the OEM coupler and installing it on the APR provided pipe, was a step that we overlooked.

So far, it's too close to tell if there is a increase/decrease in turbo lag nor noticeable horsepower gains with the APR FMIC versus the S3. I still need to provide time for adaptation. They actually feel the same on the stock k03. This assessment is not based off of data logs and only a matter of opinion - i.e. not worth the time you spent reading it. :lol: But I never intended to do this thread for a performance perspective since I only have the stock k03. I was just fortunate to have all 3 intercoolers and thought the pics of all 3 side-by-side would be cool for everyone to see. I didn't even think about doing a comparison thread until I had the s3 already ripped off.:mad:

For the OP reading this thread - This mod is only intended for preparation to stage 3. The S3 FMIC is more than adequate for the stock k03 on a stage 2 setup. And if you didn't read earlier in the post...No, you can not buy my S3! It has already been sold!