GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Definitive BBS CH/CO/RE Reference Thread

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
I've been collecting info on BBS CH-type wheels for a long time, and here's a somewhat organized collection of everything I've found. Please add more information to help educate the world :thumbsup:
BBS CH wheels are pressure cast aluminum alloy wheels. You can buy them from BBS in the aftermarket, but VAG also included them as OEM parts on several different models.

Disclaimer: All of the information contained here is what I have determined to the best of my abilities. However, BBS has been known to slightly change the wheel design during production runs, so I accept no responsibility if the information is incorrect or out of date.

See my notes on how to spot fake wheels at the bottom of this post!

Click on model number for pics, which have been blatantly stolen from many other places on the internet (apologies to all)

Aftermarket CH types, 5x112
Aftermarket CH's have "motorsport" stamped into the metal around the center and other descriptors on the lip. They only come in Diamond Silver (also known as Bright Silver) or Black with Stainless Lip. All real non-OEM BBS wheels require BBS PFS hubcentric rings and conical lugs. The lower offset fitments have 5 small holes around the center bolt pattern, as Mercedes requires them for wheel alignment.
CH023: 17x7.5 et42. Brilliant Silver. Without alignment holes.
CH003: 17x8.5 et35 Brilliant Silver. With alignment holes.
CH025: 18x8 et50. Brilliant Silver, Black. Without slignment holes.
CH012: 18x8.5 et35. Brilliant Silver, Black. With alignment holes. 26lbs
CH026: 19x8 et50. Brilliant Silver, Black. Without alignment holes.
CH009: 19x8.5 et35. Brilliant Silver, Black. With alignment holes.

Example of PFS centering ring.
If you buy your wheels from a respectable source, they will come with the correct rings installed.

OEM CH types
Despite popular belief, the OEM wheels were not CO's, but pressure cast CH's. None have writing anywhere on the face (no "motorsports", no BBS/ET43/Germany on the lip). They use standard Audi sized centercaps and ball seat lugs, and have a centerbore of 57.1. They mount up with completely OEM hardware.

CH028: OEM on 2006 B7 S4, 18x8 ET43, PN: 8E0 601 025 [AB,AN] 1H7
CH024: OEM on A3 3.2 S-Line, 18x7.5 ET54, PN: 8P0 601 025 R 1H7. Writing on back "BBS CH 024, 03 45 056, ET54, 8PO 601, 025R".
CH029: OEM on MKV ED30, 18x7.5 ET51, known as "VW PESCARAS". PN 1K0 601 025 AT QQ9. (Also available under PN 1K0 601 025 CC - not sure what the difference is.) These wheels are "Titan Grey" [QQ9], which is a slightly darker finish than the standard silver, [1H7].
CH???: OEM VW Individual (Europe), 18x7.5 ET51, known as "Rockingham". PN 1K0 071 498 AT QQ9. Apparently has alignment holes, unlike other OEM wheels (???).
I've also heard rumors of an ET56 variant. Not confirmed though.

CO Type
The CO is the cheaper, gravity cast sibling of the CH. As of this writing, I think BBS has stopped making these. They have no "Motorsport" writing on face but the same descriptor writing around lip. They all came in either Silver or Polished [aka Plasma/POK]. They use ball seat lugs and do not require PFS centering rings (They are native 57mm centerbore). I am not sure, but I believe only VZ033 was available in the US market.
CO004: 16x6.5 ET50.
CO001: 17x7.5 ET51.
CO002: 17x7.5 ET47.
VZ033: (yes, part number starts with VZ) 18x8 ET44.

RE Types
RE's are the forged version of the CH's. They have a flatter face, and a steeply dished center. They use cone seat lugs and the BBS PFS centering rings. The wheel information is around the hub between the bolt holes, with no writing on the face. On the lip between spokes the wheels read [Jl][ ][BBS][ ][FORGED]. They come in Diamond Black and Diamond Silver finishes.
RE013: 18x8, ET50.
RE016: 18x8, ET43.
RE775: 18x8, ET35. 20.2 lbs.
More info on fitment by model number can be found here.

Accessories
BBS Center Caps can be bought directly from BBS USA, or from vendors such as Black Forest Industries or PureMS

Notes in for looking for replica (fake) wheels:
If you are looking at buying a set of CH's, you should ask the seller for the size, width, offset, and part number of the wheels. You should also get a picture confirming all of these numbers.
If the part number and information do not match with one of the wheels above, most likely something is wrong.

However, there are some giveaways to take note of:
-CH's never came from the factory in black with red lips [known as time attack style]. However, the models specified above could be bought in black with removable polished lips, known as the 'Black Edition'.
-A CH wheel in 18x8, et35, 5x112 does not exist - this combination of width and offset is a sure sign of a rep.
-Often, around the lips, replicas will have no markings, or not all of the markings. The markings should include, model number, offset, size and width, BBS logo, JWL/VIA stamps, and some other wheel information in raised print.
-Some replicas (on the more steeply dished ET35 wheels) will have the "Motorsport" text stamped on the "outside/face part" of the center dish, whereas the real versions have it contained on the "inside/curved part" of the dish.
-Reps usually have a 'smaller' centercap diameter; the correct size is 70mm face, 64mm back.
-Due to the casting/stamping process, sometimes the numbers 3, 5, and 8 will be difficult to tell apart. Thus, sometimes a wheel may sometimes mistakenly be called a "RE018" (instead of 013) or the offset might be reported as ET38 instead of ET35. If there is any confusion, make sure to ask for clarification/better pictures.

Here are some of the best replicas I've found and how to tell theyre fake

Example 1: Fake CH025 (18x8, ET50)

This wheel appears to be a Black Edition and looks to have the correct markings around the rim. However, it has CH025 on the rim, and real CH025 does not have alignment holes. Also, it is missing many of the other descriptors around the rim. Lastly, in a sloppy but telling detail, the Motorsport text is oriented the wrong way.
Compare it to a real Black Edition CH025, and you can see the differences.

Example 2: Fake CH012 (18x8.5, ET35)

This wheel looks like a legit CH012 at first glance. However, you can see it doesnt have the BBS logo, size, or part number around the rim. Additionally, the seller reported this wheel as 18x8.5 ET38, which should have at least prompted a buyer to ask for better pictures. A trained eye might also see that the center cap looks a little small.
You can tell this is a good replica because the real deal looks very similar. Again, this wheel (like most replicas) doesnt have the right set of descriptors around the rim.

Example 3

Time Attack style should immediately ring warning bells. Note the incorrect combination of markings around the rim.
Not only are these wheels fake, they will make your car look stupid.

Another good way to tell a fake is by looking at the back of the wheel.
On this replica, you can see the awful surface quality and the sloppy casting.

On a genuine wheel, the finish should be smooth and the text cast in should be crisp. Also notice how the real wheel has a distinct PFS ring.

If you have any other example pictures of these wheels (or fakes), feel free to post them and I'll add them in.

Last edited:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Good info here. way to fill us in on the phony bologna wheels. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I see these wheels for sale all the time in LA Craigslist.

posted with my phone

Xyro TR1

Yay
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bumping this to confirm the reports of the ET56 CH's. I have a set of them on my car. 18x7.5 5x112. If you like, I can take a picture Wednesday evening when I get my new tires put on.

I actually stumbled across this thread trying to find VW centercaps... anyone know where to point me?

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this to confirm the reports of the ET56 CH's. I have a set of them on my car. 18x7.5 5x112. If you like, I can take a picture Wednesday evening when I get my new tires put on.

I actually stumbled across this thread trying to find VW centercaps... anyone know where to point me?

Awesome! If you could also post up the model number (CH###) and what car they came on (if they came on an audi, normal VW center caps wont fit very well), it would be great!

If theyre VW wheels, I think the correct VW center cap part number is "1C0 071 213" and they are available from genuinevwaudiparts.com for $5.39 each

GTIWV

WV VW
Some good info here!

I have been tempted to buy a set of the black edition reps off ebay

CO Type
The CO is the cheaper, gravity cast sibling of the CH. As of this writing, I think BBS has stopped making these. They have no "Motorsport" writing on face but the same descriptor writing around lip. They all came in either Silver or Polished [aka Plasma/POK]. They use ball seat lugs and do not require PFS centering rings (They are native 57mm centerbore). I am not sure, but I believe only VZ033 was available in the US market.
CO004: 16x6.5 ET50.
CO001: 17x7.5 ET51.
CO002: 17x7.5 ET47.
VZ033: (yes, part number starts with VZ) 18x8 ET44.

The great thing about these wheels is 1) they're strong, which helps in countries with crappy roads; and 2) the offset allows for BBK install (AP or Alcon; not Brembo or Stoptech) without spacers.