GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BSH Catch Can not doing its JOB!!

vwbulla

Ready to race!
So the reason i bought this catch can last year was to eliminate the gunky creamy build up under my oil cap. And today in Chicago the temps dropped to low 30s and i look under the cap and i find the gunk already there. It kinda upset me..:mad0259::mad0259:
shouldnt the catch can be removing all of this gunk??? BSH please chime in..
and comment are welcome..:thumbsup:

cell phone pics but they show the gunk..

Attachments

• 156261_1509060203372_1140330078_31120104_7685825_n.jpg
    156261_1509060203372_1140330078_31120104_7685825_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 730
  • 155073_1509061003392_1140330078_31120106_3589479_n.jpg
    155073_1509061003392_1140330078_31120106_3589479_n.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 703
  • 162963_1509061603407_1140330078_31120107_2784813_n.jpg
    162963_1509061603407_1140330078_31120107_2784813_n.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Its bc of the cold weather. Go out and give your car a nice and hot drive and it'll go away. Are your drives mostly city or short to where the engine is not up to temp for a long period of time?

dave80

Go Kart Champion
I just emptied my catch can yesterday and checked the oil cap just now. I dont have any gunk under the cap, but I do have nice 70 mile round trip to work everyday on the highway. I think it has to do something with that. Engine oil getting warmed up and average speed of 70mph. How much driving do you do.

vwbulla

Ready to race!
Yes i do drive mostly in the city. But the drives are usually for 30 min if not more.. and the car gets fully warmed up.. even when i did take the car on the highway and drive it, the gunk still is there it does not go away.

BSH Speedshop

Ready to race!
That has nothing to do with whether or not you have a catch can. Condensation INSIDE the valve cover will never be collected by something OUTSIDE the valve cover. Regardless, that is not the gunk anyone has ever referred to any catch can preventing. That is just a reminder for all FSI owners why VW went back to an aluminum valve cover on the TSI vehicles.

That was quite the scathing post title for something inaccurate. I am however glad to make sure you get the proper information.

hensonlf

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the BSH Comp. Catch Can and it seems to do its job quite well. I am sure it does not catch everything but it does get a great deal. I empty mine every 3 weeks or so and generally fill a 12 oz. water bottle about 3/4 full.

vwbulla

Ready to race!
ok maybe my post title is a bit rough but from what i read ppl said it will eliminate this.
so what am i to do now? when winter really hits it will keep collecting there and then it drops down into my oil pan. and when i check my oil level in the winter time i can see the gunk come up on my dip stick. does this gunk effect the oil in any negative way?

That has nothing to do with whether or not you have a catch can. Condensation INSIDE the valve cover will never be collected by something OUTSIDE the valve cover. Regardless, that is not the gunk anyone has ever referred to any catch can preventing. That is just a reminder for all FSI owners why VW went back to an aluminum valve cover on the TSI vehicles.

That was quite the scathing post title for something inaccurate. I am however glad to make sure you get the proper information.

i have your street can and its doing its job supurbly! might have to upgrade to the comp can with how quick it fills up.

also @vwbulla. no idea why that stuff is there with the can. maybe its the weather mixed in with your driving pattern? Just offering suggestion as i have no idea what actually causes the gunk

BSH Speedshop

Ready to race!
ok maybe my post title is a bit rough but from what i read ppl said it will eliminate this.
so what am i to do now? when winter really hits it will keep collecting there and then it drops down into my oil pan. and when i check my oil level in the winter time i can see the gunk come up on my dip stick. does this gunk effect the oil in any negative way?

You were misinformed.

Its just condensation. The valve cover heats up at a different rate then the rest of the motor promoting the majority of condensation to form and collect there. This is why a catch can will not prevent it as it has nothing to do with catch cans or pcv systems.

This is not harmful, just get your car up to temp and keep it there as long as you can. This will burn it off. You also have to keep in mind that the majority of this will occur once you turn the car off, so it will naturally be the most prevalent once its sat for a while.

Get the car back up to temp, it will burn off, let it sit, it will come back, rinse, repeat.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
yep, basically you have to get the oil hot enough for it to evaporate the moisture that collected inside the cover. If you do short trips and never get the oil to temp, it never gets hot enough to make the water seperate from the oil. You will find the same foamy nastiness when you have a bad headgasket.. when you get water + oil together in a motor, you end up with that emulsified oil mixture that looks like chocolate milk or eggnog on the oil cap

:threadjacked:

I emptied my can today and barely anything came out. last time i emptied was 800 miles ago with plenty of spirited driving. before i emptied last time, i had only put 400 miles on it and the can literally gushed goo and crap. does your drain ever get clogged by chance?