GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 Rear Diff Oil Change

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Hello guys

I deside to change my rear diff. oil at 28k miles on my R32. It was very quick and easy, anyone can do it.

First thing i did was run around the block a few times to heat the rear diff up a lil cause it was cold as shit today.

Once i got back home i pull u backwards and loaded my car on ramps.

Tools u will need

1. Rear Diff Oil G-052-145-S2
2. Fluid Pump - from Autozone - I up dated the Fluid pump mod on this page a few post down
3. 1/8 Brass Filler Screw
4. 30 torx or u can use a 5mm Allen Key / Up to u
5. 2 Rear Diff Plug Screws
6. This plug is the same as the Filler on the Haldex

IMG_3452.jpg

First take the the top filler screw out. The fluid should not come out at this point.

IMG_3441.jpg

Now u can take out the bottom screw and let all the fluid drain out this beast.LOL

IMG_3433.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg

Once all the fluid is drained out and bearly dripping, now u can put the New drain plug back in. I tightened the drain plug to 10ft.lb.

Also u are going to put in the 1/8 Brass filler tool, every thing should look like this.

IMG_3439.jpg

Once the brass fill tool is in now u can slide the Fluid Pump hose on to the Brass pipe. I used a clamp to tighten it down so no fluid comes out while i fill it. Here is a pic with the hose on and filling.

IMG_3440.jpg

After u pump all the oil out of the diff bottle then take of the hose, then u can take out the brass nipple. U should have no fluid/oil coming out but if u do then u need to let it drain out till it starts to drip.

Now u can put in ur Top Fill Plug/screw and tighten it to 10ft.lb. and ur done!:happyanim:

Now take ur R32 off the ramps and go aound the block and on the highway and get up to at least 60-80 but very gentle and not too hard on the peddal.

It should feel very smooth and nice.:w00t:

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Thanks man no problem!!!!!!!

That what Im/we are here for.

This DIY was very easy and simple and took only 15mins.

Enjoy the DIY Thread

Wehrmacht

German-o-phile
Car(s)
R32
trying to do rear diff, haldex and engine oil tonight..

So far rear diff fail - the fill bolt was stuck on and has been stripped. Damn torx 30 just ate right thru the soft bolt.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
trying to do rear diff, haldex and engine oil tonight..

So far rear diff fail - the fill bolt was stuck on and has been stripped. Damn torx 30 just ate right thru the soft bolt.

Ouch!!!!!!!

That happen to me on my Haldex Fill bolt.:frown:

I was using a Hex/allen key and it stripped the bolt quick!!!!

Then i used the 30 trox and it took it out with no problem. I also used a 1/4 drive Ratchet, that way u dont put allot of strain on these aluminum soft bolts.

Be very gental on these bolt, rear diff and haldex

Nice!
Where can I buy a pump for that kind of bottle? (should be good for the Haldex, no?)
Thank you.

I bought my pump from Autozone for like $7 bucks.

This pump works on the haldex and the rear diff bottle. But on the rear diff bottle the lid does not fit on this bottle, i had to modify mine.:w00t:

IMG_0780.jpg

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Hey Wehrmacht

U should use a pair of Vice Grips on the Filler bolt on the diff!!!!!!

This should work and comes in handy with this stripped bolts.

Just put allot of squeeze on the Vice Grips and turn till u break the tension on the bolt. Clamp down hard and turn till it losens.

I hope this helps

Wehrmacht

German-o-phile
Car(s)
R32
Yup I ended up getting it.. I think when I took a closer look it appears that they are hex/allen bolts and not torx.

Either way, that filler bolt was just stuck on mine.. when I used the allen key, although it was pretty well stripped out - it came out.

My socket and wrench are cheapo - and not compact enough to reach the 24mm Haldex filter... so that will have to wait.

Thanks guys.

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
I need to do this when I change my Haldex fluid next weekend. Anyone know the viscosity of the oil that should go in the diff? I'm asking because I don't want to pay top dollar for OEM fluid and would rather go with something like Redline or such. Used Redline in my old A4 quattro and it seemed to work well.

EDIT: Nevermind! With a bit of digging I found out Gear oil G 052 145 S2 is 75W-90, which is the same as in the A4s, so Redline Synthetic Gear Oil will work fine.

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Yup I ended up getting it.. I think when I took a closer look it appears that they are hex/allen bolts and not torx.

Either way, that filler bolt was just stuck on mine.. when I used the allen key, although it was pretty well stripped out - it came out.

My socket and wrench are cheapo - and not compact enough to reach the 24mm Haldex filter... so that will have to wait.

Thanks guys.

awesome i glad u fix that rear diff bolt!!!!!:happyanim:

On the Haldex filter bolt i used a 24 mm with a breaker bar but u can use a ratchet if u can find one small enough.

Good luck bro

lilboy

Been around the block

Thanks guys.

HAHAHAHAHA,,, I DID THE SAMEEEEEEE THING!!!! i thought for sure that i stripped it and was never ever going to be able to get it out ever again! ... than i tried a 5mm and was like ooooooo... fits with no wiggle! :D

all of these DIY need to be revised, i think its a 5mm allen... not a torx. :/

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
U got it!!!!!!!!!

It crazy that u guys are stripping these bolts with the torx bits.

I used a Allen key the first time and stripped the bolts to shits and thought this bolt was gone for sure. So then i thought of using a Torx bit cuz it would grip allot better and in my case IT DID.

So if u want to use a Allen Key or a Torx, it up to u.............

Wehrmacht

German-o-phile
Car(s)
R32
Yea it is weird that the torx 30 did work for my drain bolt but only because it was slightly looser- I think they are in fact 5-Hex or allen.

If you take a look at the CV boots while you're down there, the large bolts that hold those into the rear diff: THOSE are torx for sure, I didn't see the same star pattern on our filler/drain bolts when I had my flash light on them.

Still thanks to everyone and especially Stylist for the DIY.

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Just did this today and fill plugs are definitely 5mm allen. You don't need to replace the plugs either, you can just replaced the copper washer. I bought a whole box of different sized washers at the auto parts store for a few Euros.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
That is correct the Filler/Drain plugs are 5mm but i used 30trox bit in my case. worked for me but u can use Allen Key if u please.......

I like to replace the Filler/Drain Plugs cuz Im very Picky when it comes to service work on my Car.....

Do what works for u people.........