GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brighter high-beam/ftp solution - Osram rally 65w h7 install

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Anyone who is interested in this will need to do the flash to pass with highbeam vag-com coding. I highly recommended it as it makes the high-beams seriously good.

After having the flash to pass enabled for a few months I wanted a solution for even brighter highbeams :drool: living out in the country the more light on the road the better.

I went on www.rallylights.com and ordered the Osram Hyper 65w H7 bulbs as seen here; http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1197 . This site is fairly well respected in the lighting business and states the stock bulbs as 1400 lumens and the Osram at 2100 lumen, a sizable increase in brightness.

Taking them out of the package and compairing them with OEM the difference in filament design and thickness was clear.

Install took 2 mins, the difference in lighting is literary night and day. Not only is the center of the beam dramatically brighter but the area they illuminate is much larger. The side of the beam pattern is much wider and the top and bottom extend further lighting up country roads like its daytime. They are also slightly whiter, although the bulb is not coated, making the transition from the xenons to halogen highs seamless.

Have used these for a while with no issues with melting or burning, only 10w more should not cause any issues.

Osram on the Left vs. OEM right; you can see how much larger and brighter the beam box is on the Osrams vs. stock.

Great upgrade in lighting for anyone who likes bright lights :thumbsup:

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Pretty cool. I was wondering about melting, etc., although they obviously won't be used for really long periods of time. It will interesting to hear a long term review.

DUB2OT

Banned
^^ yea they will melt the connection harnes wires and also will fog up and damage you're headlight lenses if used on a regular basis coz they run a lot hotter then the stock ones.

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Have used these for about 2 weeks with no issues running the high-beams for 15-20min constantly at times.

The OEM system can handle a small 10watt increase in power with no adverse effects.

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
Dude have you thought about going with a 55watt hid kit? I have done some research and it looks like its a no brainer! All you have to do is replace your 35w stock bulbs and the stock ballasts.

^^this.

the ballasts are there to convert current to voltage as HID bulbs run on incredibly high voltage. increase in voltage does not = brighter. (edit:) they are not brighter because the spark that ignites the bulb is already there. you cant get a bigger spark really.

tl;dr. 55w vs 35w are the same. theyre different to mate up with the stock system

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
I'm an electrician! Your are 100 percent wrong! The ballast uses the same 12v from the cars electrical system as did the stock 35w hid bulb! With the correct bulb and ballast you have a 55w bulb putting out more lumens! DO SOME RESEARCH !!