GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally; A functional intake

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
So I decided that i was tired of my BSH intake and decided to fabricate my own. I didnt like how it passes directly over the turbo and just didnt like it in general. I'm also in the process of shaving my bay, so the big plate that BSH uses under the filter had to go. I had to leave the tray where the battery was so i could mount their plate, which i didnt like. The tray and plate are finally gone and I should officially have my intake installed by the middle of next week. Today was the final fabrication and test-fitting day. I still have some final cleaning and adjusting to do but 99% done. Overall, I think it turned out well for my first time. I decided to tuck the maf housing under the intake to hide it better. I learned several tricks along the way that would make it alot easier if i ever decided to make another one ;). The filter and correct silicone coupler are in the mail and are the last pieces to the puzzle. Please excuse the dirty bay. Onto the pics:

and pics of where the battery tray and plate used to be:

Last edited:

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Fucking awesome. My nka! When you come for my subie install day, I want to see this beeeesh in action.

Nice title ;)

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
the hood support doesn't hit it at while closed/driving? also, what is that bracket connected to on that side? something that moves with the engine, or connected to the body of the car? careful with the MAF, some people have had issues with intake MAF setups. neuspeed was one causing issues i believe.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
the hood support doesn't hit it at while closed/driving? also, what is that bracket connected to on that side? something that moves with the engine, or connected to the body of the car? careful with the MAF, some people have had issues with intake MAF setups. neuspeed was one causing issues i believe.

the hood support collapses next to it, so its out of the way. the bracket from the intake bolts to the top of the motor mount. bsh had maf issues as well, which was another reason i decided to fab my own

lawn mower

Banned
the hood support doesn't hit it at while closed/driving? also, what is that bracket connected to on that side? something that moves with the engine, or connected to the body of the car?

looks like the motor mount

lawn mower

Banned
the hood support collapses next to it, so its out of the way. the bracket from the intake bolts to the top of the motor mount. bsh had maf issues as well, which was another reason i decided to fab my own

dammit you beat me to it.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Edit: Damnit, beat me to it too.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI

yeah, figured it would clear on closing, but i'm wondering how much clearance did you leave? motor movement/vibration might cause it to hit. do think the intake heats up enough to justify trying to route it over there? i think you might get more fresh air on the driver side of the engine bay (especially after removing the battery). the way you did it does eliminate that last 90* kink in the piping though, so that's definitely beneficial.

overall looks good.

edit:
my bad for mising the pic where it clearly shows what the intake bracket connects to lol. does that bolt move with the engine though? looks like it might actually be stationary with the car body part of the motor mount...

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Youd be getting the same amount of air in either location. Just in the one he put it in, doesnt wrap around and over a molten engine lol.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Youd be getting the same amount of air in either location. Just in the one he put it in, doesnt wrap around and over a molten engine lol.

i'ld think there would be more air movement in general on the open driver side. plus you can mount the intake filter slightly further from the engine on that side.

just throwing ideas out there, not bashing your work eric, looks great so far!

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Fa sho, good point. Either way, props to my favorite blonde dyke for making this.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
You really need a headset for ps3 so we can talk about this. Theyre sereiously 12 bucks from walmart...

Looks fucking killer man.

lawn mower

Banned
edit:
my bad for mising the pic where it clearly shows what the intake bracket connects to lol. does that bolt move with the engine though? looks like it might actually be stationary with the car body part of the motor mount...

lol i was wondering why you asked :lol: i was thinking was it not obvious enough? i thought you were better than that dybz :bellyroll: