GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM LED Ring Mod

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I just installed my OEM LEDs and was playing around with the VAG-COM coding and seeing what the different values did. I've put together a couple photos which describes each code and what it looks like, so you can pick what you want for your own coding.

NOTE: This assumes you've already wired both lights to the BCM and re-pinned the connector to have all 4 wires. DIY info for this can be found here

When I talk about coding, I'm specifically talking about the Central Electronics Module long coding, bits 9 through 13. This tells the computer the values to give each wire in different situations. There are other coding changes you're supposed to make, which IIRC all deal with diagnostics on the lights and taking care of bulb out errors. I don't refer to these changes at all. The photos are a little hard to see, so I'll also explain what you're looking at in each one. Each picture is of the parking lights on, without anything else - no brakes, no turn signals, only parking lights.

First up is the stock US coding. This is for anyone who has asked "if I install the OEM LEDs and don't change the coding, what will happen?"

14 00 00 00 14

The center (brake) center is dimly lit, as is the outer ring. The outer ring is lit up amber, not red. The turn signals light up the outer ring in a brighter amber and the center area lights up a brighter red when the brakes are on.

0A 00 00 0F 00

Next is the coding from the Euro Jetta, which has the LEDs as stock. This is how VW runs these LEDs, and is the most OEM option possible. The outer ring and center section are both dimly lit in red. This is much less bright than the US coding. Even though it doesn't look like it in the pic, the entire circle (ring and center) is evenly lit. The turn signals brightly light up the amber ring, and the brakes brightly light up the center section. When the turn signal is on, the outer ring flashes amber and the center section stays dimly lit in red.

00 00 00 0F 00

This is what I was looking for when I started messing around with it. Reading the VAG-COM settings descriptions, I was hoping I could achieve this effect. This is essentially the same as the Euro coding, but without the center section lit at all. This creates a red ring for the parking lights. The outer ring still flashes bright amber when the turn signals are on, and the center section still lights up bright red with the brakes. With the turn signal on, the outer ring changes from dim red to bright amber with nothing in the center, only the ring which changes color. It's quite a cool effect.

Anyway, if anyone wants the ring look instead of the solid-circle look, just use the coding I put above instead of the OEM Euro coding and you're set. Nothing else you need to do! :thumbup:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Nice write up man..........

I have been looking for this cause i have no Vagcom but wanted to know the differences between the coding.

On the 2nd pic can u make the red Bright instead of dim for the parking light?????

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
Wow nice write up dude. Im gonna do the ring mod for sure

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
The ring or the center section?

both.......In the second pic it says the parking lights, center and outer ring, are dimly lit. I want them as bright as possible??????

Maybe this wont work though cause of the brake light too:mad0259:

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
both.......In the second pic it says the parking lights, center and outer ring, are dimly lit. I want them as bright as possible??????

Maybe this wont work though cause of the brake light too:mad0259:

You can adjust the brightness of either section using the hex values. Try something like the US value 14, or even as high as 19. I don't think I'd go too high, you want there to be a pretty large difference in brightness between the parking light or the brake light, or it won't be as effective at catching people's attention. But you'd want to try it out and see how bright it really is.

Euro default (0A) is 4% brightness, US default (14) is 8% brightness, 19 is 10% brightness, etc. I'm thinking 25% is the highest you'd want, which is 40.

Is any of that helpful?

Steve516

Ready to race!
This is great info for me since I have been debating what to do about my tails. I saw one member who only had the center's active for the running lights and brake lights, and used the rings purely for amber turn signals.

I think I would want to have the red centers and rings for running lights and brake lights, with the amber rings flashing for signals - is that possible?

Also - has anyone lit up the inner two units on the hatch? I realize they would be running lights only, with the centers for reverse and or rear fog - but the rings could be running lights no? It would be great if they could be running lights and stop lights... not sure what is available....

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
This is great info for me since I have been debating what to do about my tails. I saw one member who only had the center's active for the running lights and brake lights, and used the rings purely for amber turn signals.

I think I would want to have the red centers and rings for running lights and brake lights, with the amber rings flashing for signals - is that possible?

Also - has anyone lit up the inner two units on the hatch? I realize they would be running lights only, with the centers for reverse and or rear fog - but the rings could be running lights no? It would be great if they could be running lights and stop lights... not sure what is available....

Yes, the rings and centers light up red and the rings flash amber. This is the normal Euro coding without any modifications.

A few people have mounted LEDs in the hatch housings as well to get 4 rings which looks pretty cool. A lot of work, you have to mount each LED then solder them all together and then wire it up to the other lights.

buckets

Ready to race!

Yes it's possible! I have done it for a few of the guys here in Australia after they saw it on my Jetta. Some wiring additions/adjustments need to be made, but if you're handy with a soldering iron, should be no problems.

There's a few pics here

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Yes it's possible! I have done it for a few of the guys here in Australia after they saw it on my Jetta. Some wiring additions/adjustments need to be made, but if you're handy with a soldering iron, should be no problems.

There's a few pics here

You should definitely put together a detailed DIY. I would love to do it one day.

buckets

Ready to race!