GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking noise at idle issue?

EDGEMKV

Legen-dary
Alright, I have what I think is a strange issue. From the passenger side, I hear a clicking noise (sounds like plastic not metal). It's constant (a little after start-up) and happens every time I'm at a complete stop or when the RPM's drop below 1,000 RPM's.

Now here's the kicker, if I'm at a stop and slightly press the accelorator just a tad to bump it closer to 1,000 RPM's the noise stops completely. Also, if I turn on my heat or A/C the noise stops completely. I've tried locating the noise while under the hood, and I can't really make out a location, I just hear it more so from inside the cabin.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My first solution was to maybe adjust the throttle a tad, but I don't have the necessary equipment to do that. (Assuming it can be done via VAG-COM or whatever.)

So yeah I'm stumped on what could be causing this.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Fuel rail or timing belt tensioner pully. both on pass side and both go away when hit the gas.

Arcturus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I've got this as well. I thought it was the fuel line rattle, until I realised it was coming from under the hood.

Pretty sure bhmkv is spot on with the timing belt tensioner.

This may be completely normal, but is there any way to fix it? To me, it sounds cheap.

EDGEMKV

Legen-dary
From what I read elsewhere, a lot of people were saying it's the fuel line. Would the Belt Tensioner stop clicking just from turning on the A/C or Heat?

Arcturus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
For my problem, at least...

Not the fuel line - I did the fix.

Open the hood while the engine idles. I think you'll find that it's coming from the timing belt area.

My guess about AC: turning on the air increases the load on the engine, which pulls it above idle revs. We already established that the sound goes away when the engine is above idle.

EDGEMKV

Legen-dary
For my problem, at least...

Not the fuel line - I did the fix.

Open the hood while the engine idles. I think you'll find that it's coming from the timing belt area.

My guess about AC: turning on the air increases the load on the engine, which pulls it above idle revs. We already established that the sound goes away when the engine is above idle.

What's the fix for the fuel line? The reason I ask, is because the sound from inside the car sounds like it's almost coming from the glove box, not from under the hood. When I open my hood I can't really hear anything, abnormal.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
What's the fix for the fuel line? The reason I ask, is because the sound from inside the car sounds like it's almost coming from the glove box, not from under the hood. When I open my hood I can't really hear anything, abnormal.

If it sounds like it is coming from the glove box its the fuel line. My car was under warranty when this happened for dealer fixed it for free. Not sure if open recall. If not you should check the DIY section here bc there is a thread with a how to fix it here.

EDGEMKV

Legen-dary
If it sounds like it is coming from the glove box its the fuel line. My car was under warranty when this happened for dealer fixed it for free. Not sure if open recall. If not you should check the DIY section here bc there is a thread with a how to fix it here.
Thanks for the info. I'm actually scheduled to swing by the dealer sometime soon, for two recalls that need to be done. So I can ask if this is covered, if not I'll go ahead and do it myself.

Arcturus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

Here's the fuel line fix: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18277

If anything, it seems to have reduced vibrations through the brake pedal at idle. Maybe just my imagination.

intercool

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Arcturus, did you ever find the solution to your ticking?