GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobalt SS: Project EFR

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Sup guys, some of you guys may remember I was going to do a gt35 kit on my GTI until it got totaled :/.

I just got all my stuff in for my big turbo upgrade on my 2010 Cobalt SS.

I currently have K&N Short Ram Intake, Badmab 3" catless downpipe, no muffler straight pipe. CX racing 600hp Intercooler kit. Canuck motorsport springs. Trifecta tune 23 PSI.

In this build I will be adding:
Ky stage 3 clutch kit
ZZP front and rear transmission mounts
245/40/18 Nt05's for traction (Any other recommendations?)
Last but not least, the ZFR 6758 turbo kit.

It will be tuned on 91 octane by James Rakes with HP Tuners. I'm aiming for 420-450 whp on pump gas stock motor. Don't know if I will be building motor yet. I know I will be looking for a transmission with LSD in the near future.

I have already gotten the KY stage 3 clutch.

Tomorrow I will be installing clutch and transmission mounts. I'm gonna give it maybe 2-3 weeks for me to break the clutch in thoroughly. Then install the turbo kit, sensors, spark plugs after I come back from vacation. I believe I will be installing the rest on either August 17/18. I will post updates when they come along. Here are some pics for now.

Looks like one bad sensor was shipped:

Good sensor:

Boxes of multiple shipments lol:

Shipments received today:

Whole kit that's going in:

I will update this thread when I can, hope you guys enjoy!

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Clutch and transmission mounts are in. Will have pictures up later tonight.
Here is a little 20 mile drive review of the new stuff in the car (breaking the clutch in right now, very easy throttle). So the stick is smoother than ever. Pedal feel is lighter than stock! This clutch grabs hard, you can tell there is some chatter though in the beggining. I'm guessin I just need to break it in more cause on other launches it's smooth. The clutch feels like stock from where it sits, nobody would know I have a kevlar/ceramic 6 puck disc. I love it. The transmission mounts really made a nice difference in the steering. It's much more sharp and feel it glued to the floor. I don't know how the wheel hop is for now as I haven't even gone past 1/4 throttle lol. I will keep updating more on this in between the time till the turbo is installed. So far so good! Maybe time to mess around with some tuning next week!

Engine being held up:

Subframe about to be pulled:

OEM transmission mount:

New clutch installed:

Old Clutch:

Turbo (K04):

Subframe out:

Clutch pipe and throw out bearing being changed:

Axle:

Old parts that were changed:

Car being put back together:

New transmission mounts:

fastgti69

M3 Eater
I see third gear flying out of that bitch soon. Not trying to jinx...Do you have anything done to the trans?

LOL, I know. This car has a bad reputation of doing so. No stock trans besides the clutch. If it blows... which it eventually might happen. I will be looking for an upgrade obviously of internals, LSD and 4.45 gear ratio. Until then I will have a boost ramp for the tune so it will be easy on the torque. I don't want spikes with this fast spooling turbo haha

MORSALTUM

CSKM'S LOVER
Car(s)
IS300 SX
LOL, I know. This car has a bad reputation of doing so. No stock trans besides the clutch. If it blows... which it eventually might happen. I will be looking for an upgrade obviously of internals, LSD and 4.45 gear ratio. Until then I will have a boost ramp for the tune so it will be easy on the torque. I don't want spikes with this fast spooling turbo haha

I just ripped a trans out of a CSST last week that spiked 3rd out. My bud was looking into the quaif 6gear set. There are only a few left, and from what I gather, it is stronger than the stock stuff. Build looks good man, keep us posted. On a related note, I think my bud still has a brand new GM trans sitting, because the dealer said they would cover it.---Lucky him.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
I just ripped a trans out of a CSST last week that spiked 3rd out. My bud was looking into the quaif 6gear set. There are only a few left, and from what I gather, it is stronger than the stock stuff. Build looks good man, keep us posted. On a related note, I think my bud still has a brand new GM trans sitting, because the dealer said they would cover it.---Lucky him.

Wow, definitely lucky with warranty. Quaife 6 gear http://www.dezod.com/pd_quaife_6_speed_conversion_kit-f35_5_speed_manual_tranny.cfm Very very expensive and not too much of a gain. For half the price I can have this

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/666-F35-Transmission.aspx

The stage 2 option with LSD.

MORSALTUM

CSKM'S LOVER
Car(s)
IS300 SX
Wow, definitely lucky with warranty. Quaife 6 gear http://www.dezod.com/pd_quaife_6_speed_conversion_kit-f35_5_speed_manual_tranny.cfm Very very expensive and not too much of a gain. For half the price I can have this

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/666-F35-Transmission.aspx

The stage 2 option with LSD.

Oh that looks good. Seems like it will be the best bet. Got lucky? or tooknonoemclutchofffirst...who knows?!?!? lol. Post vids when that thing is done man.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Oh that looks good. Seems like it will be the best bet. Got lucky? or tooknonoemclutchofffirst...who knows?!?!? lol. Post vids when that thing is done man.

LOL who knows. Yes of course. I'll be posting vids and logs of 60-130 track times dyno numbers everything. This is a documentary haha

BTW for ppl who don't know. I'm currently at 300whp and 350wtq on dynojet with my current mods. Not big turbo!

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Looks good man. Your shop, or just lucky enough to know someone with a lift?

chonface

does not have pink eye
You can do it!!!

technically yes i can.... but pratically ....no as i share with the woman and she can barely keep her foot off the floor ...im stock now...and am scared to see how she'lll drive with just the GMTU or similar(prob hptuners) upgrade

also there is that whole needing money thing:wink:

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Looks good man. Your shop, or just lucky enough to know someone with a lift?

No I wish! It's a close mechanic I trust. Charged me 300$ for the install which is pretty decent cause it was a straight 6 hour job. I was there and they were both working on it the whole time lol.

technically yes i can.... but pratically ....no as i share with the woman and she can barely keep her foot off the floor ...im stock now...and am scared to see how she'lll drive with just the GMTU or similar(prob hptuners) upgrade

also there is that whole needing money thing:wink:

If you're still under warranty you can go for the GMS1 upgrade. If not Trifecta budget tune is not bad at all! I'm currently running that right now.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
300$ that's a fantastic deal.