GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I figured I'd introduce myself after 2 years...

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Gradual Progression.

I will basically be transplanting my info back and forth from the tex. I've been doing this for a while so I may be new here, but not to cars, and their forums. I like it here, and have found myself here more lately than the tex so without further adieu...

I love reading good through build threads and learning how people go about doing their own modifications, and usually like the ones that are in the driveway or their own garage and consist of more than just a set of wheels.

Anyways I'd like to just share what I've done with my car since I got it in July of 2010. It's constantly changing and I am trying to keep it clean OEM+ and practical to drive everyday yet still be fun. So far it has been my favorite all-round VW. I still haven't had an aircooled, or a mk1 or mk3 (not that I care), but the mk1 and aircooled will happen one day.
Anyways...

I keep a pretty thorough list of everything I do to my car saved in my Gmail documents and update it every time I do something new. This is for my own reference as well as if I ever go to sell it to give to the new owner.

I'd like this thread to be informative to others and a record of my tasks. I have done all of the work to my car myself in my garage with my own tools... except warranty work, and tires and stuff that requires a shop with big tools and equipment. I can answer any questions for people on here on how to do it all, and hopefully help some people out with my experiences. I obviously don't know everything, but have quite a bit of knowledge about these cars.

Feel free to criticize and give advise, and I will keep updating here as time goes on. I'm not going to attach a ton of pics right now, but will add them at other peoples requests, and as I do new things. Enjoy!

Ive been on here since 2010, and the tex since 2004 when I bought my then new 04.5 GLI, but I forgot my screen name when I got out of the scene for a few years, then rejoined in 07' when I bought my MK2, and then had my little project with that.

If you look closely in the pic, where the hood latch is on the rad support, there is a round thing that looks like the top of on intake valve on the right side of the hole where the hood pin would go... That is in fact a VR6 exhaust valve that I bent when I snapped... yes SNAPPED my chain. Not sure why I had it sitting in there. but I still have it as a memento. You can actually see a crescent where the valve slapped the top of the piston.

I've since had another 04.5 GLI, and B6 passat 3.6, and now my current MK5 GTI, and my wife's 2012 CC. I am on my 6th Volkswagen so i guess you could say I've been around the block a few times.

Oh... As an added note, I have a decent Nikon D60, and a new GoPro HD2 camera I can use to take any pics/videos if anyone wants. It would give me an excuse to use the GoPro more often, and do sound clips or whatever. I am under the car a lot too so if anyone needs photos of parts or areas for reference I can do that relatively quickly. Feel free to PM me as needed.

-Purchased car July 11th 2010 with 50,000 miles

-Front badge painted flat black July 12th 2010
-Rear badge painted color matched BMP July 12th 2010
-Rear wiper delete July 12th 2010
-Noise pipe delete July 15th 2010
-PaintedColor matched side markers July 25th 2010
-Installed Smoked mirror blinkers July 25th
-New windshield installed July 29th 2010
-VMAXX coilovers August 15th 2010

-Installed ZIZA Yellow fog lights August 25th 2010
-New passenger side outer CV boot August 20th 2010
-New front hub axle bolts installed (both) August 20th 2010
-Installed BBS RX wheels 18x8 et 32 August 26th 2010

-Rolled fenders August 27th 2010
-Tires balanced and alignment done August 28th 2010
-Stripped chrome and re-powder coated BBS RX wheels September 15th 2010
-Installed new blue aspherical mirrors September 17th 2010
-Installed yellow lamin-x on fog lights September 17th 2010
-Oil Change September 11th at 53,557 miles.
-APR Stage 1 fully loaded ECU- stock, 91, 93, 100+ octanes October 29th 2010
-B and B 3 inch Downpipe with hi-flow cat installed December 3rd 2010
-APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade December 6th 2010
-AEM cold air intake installed December 6th 2010
-Shortened oil filler neck December 6th 2010
-Painted coolant ball cap and washer fluid cap December 23rd 2010
-Tires rotated December 23rd 2010
-Oil Change January 4th 2011 at 57,907 miles
-Washer fluid flushed and refilled on January 4th 2011 at 57,907
-Warranty work on 04 Jan 2011:
Revised Diverter valve
Timing belt
Timing belt-tensioner
Timing belt pulley
Water pump
Flushed Coolant
Fuel pressure regulator
Low pressure fuel sensor
Passenger side outer CV boot
Passenger side seat belt buckle
25 point inspection
-Installed Eurojet throttle body pipe February 5th 2011
-Installed Forge front, back, side to side short shifter May 8th 2011
-Installed 42 Draft Designs shifter bushings May 8th 2011
-Installed AWE electrical boost gauge with side vent pod May 8th 2011
-Installed Autotech high pressure fuel pump internal rebuild kit May 9th 2011
-ECU re-flashed to APR stage 2+ at goodspeed performance May 9th 2011
-Installed Burns muffler and custom cat-back exhaust with oval tip May 9th 2011
-Installed BSH PCV re-route fix May 9th 2011
-Installed 034 motorsports solid dogbone mount (60A durometer)May 10th 2011
-Installed Snow Performance water methanol injection. Stage 2 MAFU May 10th 2011
-Installed Euro Headlight switch (chrome trim) June 1st 2011
-Installed Falken-452, 215/40/18 tires. @ 60, 700 miles June 1st 2011
-Oil Change on June 17th 2011 at 61,621 miles
-VAGCOM’d car with windows (remote) feature and lighting features June 18th 2011
-Installed ziza projector fog lights with yellow ziza bulbs, and yellow lamin-x June 22nd 2011
-Installed yellow inner flash to pass bulbs June 22nd 2011
-Installed amber city light bulbs June 22nd 2011
-Installed GTI badges with red inner logo on seat handles June 22nd 2011
-Installed OEM trigger wire and did VAGCOM to acquire rear fog light July 18th 2011
-Installed red 19-LED left hand rear fog light bulb July 18th 2011
-Recall-work done for Airbag sensor under seats July 20th 2011
-Installed Valeo OEM smoked rear tail lights July 27th 2011
-Rotated tires July 27th 2011 @ 63, 300 miles
-Installed new NGK BKR7E spark plugs gapped at .028 July 27th 2011 @63,300
-Cleaned under carriage and suspension July 27th 2011
-Removed Euro Jet TB pipe/ installed BSH TB pipe (much better) September 3rd 2011
-Replaced broken MAP sensor on Throttle body September 3rd 2011
-Oil change on 09 Sep 2011 at 64,594 miles
-Passenger-side rear door re-sprayed/large scratch from shopping cart September 17th 2011
-Snow performance Water Methanol solenoid upgrade installed September 28th 2011
-Installed Front and Rear Powerslot (slotted) rotors October 14th 2011
-Installed Front and Rear Hawk HPS brake pads October 14th 2011
-Installed Goodridge stainless/braided brake lines October 14th 2011
-Installed Tyrolsport caliper bushings October 14th 2011
-Flushed and refilled brake fluid with AP551 DOT 3 fluid October 14th 2011
-Installed new OEM Driver’s side outer CV boot October 14th 2011
-Cleaned all calipers/suspension/inspected brake and suspension systems October 14th 2011
-Installed new OEM in-line fuel filter October 16th 2011
-Flushed and re-filled transmission fluid with Redline MT90 October 16th 2011
-Installed ECS magnetic oil drain plug with new crush washer. October 16th 2011
- Warranty work completed for new MAP sensor, and related wiring harness October 2011
-Adjusted shift linkage per vw specs at shifter, and on transmission December 4th 2011
-Changed spark plugs back to factory spark plugs gapped at .028 December 7th 2011
-Installed 4 Red Audi S4 coil packs December 7th 2011
-Warranty work completed December 21st 2011:
New revised camshafts, revised cam follower, high pressure fuel fump, oil change (67xxx miles), coolant flushed and changed, new valve cover gasket, and all other associated work with TSB repair
-Autotech internal fuel pump rebuild kit installed (replaced under warranty) January 3rd 2012
-Removed intake manifold and hand-scrubbed all intake valves to new shine with B12 cleaner
-Installed Moroso slash-cut PCV system to route to exhaust instead of intake system (prevents dirty valves and carbon build-up
- Installed new BFG G-Sport T/A KDW 215/40/18 tires. 72,300 miles February 11th 2012 mmmm hmmmmm.
- 4 Wheel alignment completed 73,200 milesFebruary 11th 2012
- Removed all wheels, cleaned under-carriage and suspension componants, raised suspension in front about ½ inch, Detailed car inside and out very thoroughly February 12th 2012,
- Added note. The car gets detailed weekly but I never document it, Only when it involves labor intensive cleaning.

Last edited:

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Continued...

Continued...

- Changed spark plugs from stock to NGK BKR7E pre-gapped to .028 February 22nd 2012
- Changed oil Mobil full synthetic 0w40 and Mobil oil filter cartridge February 23rd 2012 72,864 miles
- New windshield installed March 1st 2012
- Hood, and both front fenders PDR’d and repainted BMP (Dents and rock chips) (LC9Z) March 12th 2012
- Re-aligned by a better shop on March 16th 2012. Toe all around 0º, Camber all around -1.4º
- Touched-up rear quarter panels with BMP (LC9Z) from tires rubbing

Went to Bugorama in Phoenix last weekend and took 2nd place in my class. Not a huge deal but still pretty cool considering I've never been into the whole show scene too much and am not building a show car, but it was still fun. Here are a few pics. Did a few more things to the car this week and finally got a hold of a wolfsburg grill set up. I kept saying I was going to get one, but every time I went to buy it they were out of stock. It almost happened to me again when ECS got them back in stock a few weeks ago. by the time I ordered them they only had the center sections so I had to order the sides from BFI.
I don't have any update pics of the grill yet... but you all know what they look like.

It's not the lowest, hellaflush, dope, baller, stanced whip out there. but I can take corners like a dream and my tires don't burn off any more!

Updated list
- Washed/Clay-barred/Waxed/fully detailed entire car March 24th 2012
- Painted cat-back section of exhaust gloss black (still growing on me)
- Installed new K&N Cone air filter March 27th 2012
- Installed 2010 Wolfsburg jetta upper and lower grille-set, and Euro golf GT outer grilles with fogs March 28th 2012. Painted VW logo flat black

Ohhhhhhh Instagram:

- Returned faulty Snow Performance water-meth controller April 3rd 2012 for warranty.
- Installed JCaps washer fluid cap April 20th 2012,
- Installed GTI embroidered floor mats April 20th 2012
- Installed JCaps dipstick
- Painted intake piping flat black
- Painted custom ACES 2 heat shield flat black
- Cut out back side of LH lower grille for flow to intake filter
- Re-installed replacement Snow Performance MAFU controller (inside center console armrest)
- Changed oil Mobil full synthetic 0W40 and Fram filter cartridge May 23rd 76,127 miles
- Inspected cam follower with 0 defects and wear May 23rd 2012
- Fully polished entire car with Adams clay bar, and 3 stage pads, waxed with Meguires yellow 26 carnuba, detailed undercarriage, rotated tires on wheels, re-lubed undercarriage, detailed interior June 3rd 2012
- Plasti-dipped coolant ball, oil cap, washer fluid cap and passenger side motor mount June 4th 2012
- Adjusted rear camber to -2º on both sides to prevent sidewall wear June 6th 2012

I am in Pensacola, Florida for Air Force cross-training until early October. I will drive back to Phoenix, put all my crap in a Penske truck, throw the car on a trailer (not a dolly) and drive from Phoenix to Hampton VA. Lots of stuff planned in the near future. I've been going back and forth on what I want to do as far as turbo upgrades... I know I know go big or go home. I would agree if this were a track only car. I dd it so I want to do as much as possible without sacrificing drivability and having to rebuild the motor...yet. Maybe one day that will happen, but for now I will just be going with an APR based K04. I still will be upgrading to a their stage 2 endurance clutch and single mass flywheel, a wavetrac LSD, and an upgraded intercooler (most-likely Forge). I have a bunch of other nickle and dime crap that adds up to almost 3k that I want to get done in the mean time. Stay tuned for updates here in the coming months. Again, if anyone has any questions or recommendations let me know. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Welcome, mr danza!

MkvMatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Gti
I parked next to you at bug-o-rama :thumbsup: I had the bmp gti on miro 111's. From what I saw the car was super clean!

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I want some BBS. But, I'm way to poor for those "high class" wheels. haha jk.

MkvMatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Gti
Your in AZ and ive never seen you around Wtf! Nice build!

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

We need to get more az guys together and go to the first Thursday Audi/vw meets. Its usually all Audi and a couple of mkv's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Because college classes are boring

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
I parked next to you at bug-o-rama :thumbsup: I had the bmp gti on miro 111's. From what I saw the car was super clean!

Thanks man.

I want some BBS. But, I'm way to poor for those "high class" wheels. haha jk.

You'd be surprised what I paid for them. Used stuff, and making deals goes a long way. I sold my huffs for $400 without tires. I bought these for $500, and threw my tires on (225/40/18). They were a little big so I just rode a little higher until they wore out and I had to get new ones. I bought hubcentric rings from BBS for like $75, and had the wheels de-chromed and powder coated for about $450 total. So about $625 bucks to have a refreshed basically brand-new set of BBS wheels is a steal. I'm getting them re-powder coated here in a few months though. I have a few rashes that I want to get fixed. Instead of buying a whole new set I will spend 3-400 bucks and have these freshened up. It changes the look of the car without breaking the bank. I love these wheels and am not tired of them yet, so why change?

Your in AZ and ive never seen you around Wtf! Nice build!

Yep! I was in AZ. In Florida now for more training, then coming back in October to grab my shit out of storage and head to VA.

We need to get more az guys together and go to the first Thursday Audi/vw meets. Its usually all Audi and a couple of mkv's

Every Wednesday night I would go to the Westside GTG, and sometimes the Tempe meet on Sunday, and sometimes the Friday night at extreme bean. I think there's already enough meets.

ArmoGTI

Ready to race!
There are a lot of meets but it's mostly because the valley is so spread out that everyone wants one on their side of town. Is anyone doing the cottonwood cruise this weekend?

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
There are a lot of meets but it's mostly because the valley is so spread out that everyone wants one on their side of town. Is anyone doing the cottonwood cruise this weekend?

I wouldn't complain about the meets man... I've lived in places where the meets were it was me and 3 or 4 of my buddies hanging out in my driveway. We were the only vw enthusiasts for like 75 miles. I would have loved to had access to all the people and wealth of knowledge in the PHX area. Just find one and go.

As far as the Cottonwood run, I did it like 4 years ago. It was a really good time. I am in Florida now and won't be going this year. It's worth it though. Get on the regional forum over on the tex for more info on who is going.