GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel emblem replacement

Roadster44

Ready to race!
I did some research on here and Vortex and it appears that just like on MKIV, it's impossible to replace steering wheel emblem on MKV also? Mine is scratched from the previous owner and I'd like to do something about it; ideally replace it.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
you cant replace it unless you buy the whole airbag. there is a place on ebay that sells one that goes over top of the old one. On mine, i pried out the old emblem, shaved the steering wheel center down and mounted the replacement cover to sit flush. they have adhesive to go ontop of the factory one if you're not as anal as me

Roadster44

Ready to race!
Thanks man. I'll try it. Also, yes I'm just as anal as you are, buuuuut I tend to break things rather than mend them...sooo

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
@Roadster44,

Why replace it?? you'll need an entire airbag to replace that stuff. What I did with that emblem was I sanded it using 1000 grit sandpaper, and this is what it looks like now:

I didn't want that bling to begin with, I wanted it to match the aluminum trims in the car...so it turned out ok. Not the best pic, but you get the idea. I resanded the emblem again and the lines look more uniform than on the pic.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Polish it with toothpaste to remove small scratches after removing the lacquer or whatever is on the emblem. You can use the buffing wheel on a Dremel if you are careful.

A1an

Hellafunctional
Good stuff here. Mine is scratched up from a service writer who liked to put his clipboard up against the wheel when writing down the mileage.

Roadster44

Ready to race!
Well the sticky came in and while it looks good, it does stick out a bit too much from the steering wheel. I don't have it in me to turn this into a project and so I'll see how I like it.

Mlochab

Ready to race!
At least its just scratched and not dented like mine... I honked my horn way too hard... :/

same. When the guy infront of me on the highway decided to slam on his brakes from 120 km/h because he missed his turnoff. Somewhere in the Panic I managed to punch my steering and dent the emblem with my ring.