GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi TT control arm bushing review

Mantus

Passed Driver's Ed
So I recently had Audi TT front lower control arm bushings installed. For those who don't know, our OEM bushings have two large holes and two slices taken out of the rubber, to increase the ability of the control arm to move around in the bushing. While this may increase ride comfort, it hampers handling and contributes to the GTI's wheel hop problem. The Audi TT bushings are just solid rubber, with no holes.

I decided to go with rubber over poly bushings since I have been hearing bad reviews about needing to grease poly repeatedly, and I wanted a no-maintenance solution. After my installation, I noticed that the front end felt much more planted, and turn-in was extremely tight. Wheel hop was noticeably reduced. With both a transmission mount insert and this mod, my wheel hop is probably 25% of what it used to be. It's not completely gone, but it's good enough for me, and I don't want to do full engine mounts. Also, I'm currently breaking in a set of Michelin PSS tires, so once they get settled, it will probably be even better.

In comparison, I feel like the transmission mount insert did more for wheel hop (and solved the crazy engine lurch I was getting with my stage 2 tune), but also had more negative effects (vibration at ignition, idle, first gear, and reverse). The most interesting impact of this mod, though, has been steering feel. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. These new bushings take a lot of the softness and play out of the steering, leaving it with a muscular, sporty feel. Honestly, this is the way this car should have felt all along.

Finally, there appear to be no negatives to this mod. If there's more road vibration coming into the cabin, I can't tell. Maybe that's because I actually like to feel the road a bit. Either way, I highly recommend it. Be warned, finding the bushings is a bit of work - you can order the full TT housing for ~$120+shipping, but you have to press the bushing out of the TT housing and into yours. You can order the bushing itself for super cheap (~$15), but only from vendors in the eastern hemisphere. In the end, even if you have to pay ~$45 for shipping (like I did) it's still a good deal.

VWTiger

I am the Stig
good feedback. Do you have a link or name of vendor you ordered from? very interested in getting these when I do my suspension.

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
side note: a friend of mine did just the trans mount and had lots of vibration until he also did the engine mounts

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I like the red (75) HPA mount for the dogbone/lower mount. Slight vibration at low rpm, but not bad at all. The wife didn't notice!
I'm also in for the far east vendor link :thumbsup:

Mantus

Passed Driver's Ed
The part you're looking for is part number 33793, made by Febi Bilstein. It's discussed in these threads:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175746

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140113

Here's the place where I found mine, but keden had trouble with them - they may have run out of stock after my order:

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1451234&pk=BEB54

Hyde16 found them here, and everything seems to have gone smoothly for him:

http://www.sparepartstore24.co.uk/1889663-febi-bilstein

A1an

Hellafunctional
Great info. I was considering the S3 set already pressed into the brackets when I refresh my front end this summer but this seems to be the better route...just need to find a local shop to do the press work.

Seems I need to look into the TT strut mount thing as well.

Last edited:

Mantus

Passed Driver's Ed
I've heard that the S3 set doesn't do that much. Which makes sense, since the S3 set only removes the slits, but not the massive holes in the bushing. I definitely had to shop around for a mechanic that knew what the hell I wanted done - One guy said he didn't have the right press, and another place quoted me some ridiculous price, I think because he just didn't want to do it. That was when I noticed his computer screen was displaying a suspension diagram for the MKIV. *facepalm*

A1an

Hellafunctional
I can see having to hand hold a shop to avoid an issue since the bushing has to be positioned correctly. Don't suppose one could go the threaded rod w/washers and bolt for a DIY press job on this?

Mantus

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, you can. I've seen set ups involving a rod and blocks of wood, as well as one with a table vice. I'm glad I found a place that was cheap enough that I didn't have to go that route though, heh

A1an

Hellafunctional
I may give that a shot. I already have a homemade press for bicycle headsets that may work well for this. I assume you do not want to lube the outsides of the bushing to aid it being pressed into the housing, correct?

slomk512

Passed Driver's Ed
i have been running the whiteline polyurethane bushing kit for the last couple of years and have nothing but good things to say about it. i dont remember what i paid for it but i think the difference in price is marginal. dont forget youre going to need an alignment in wither case

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Subscribed to this. I'm assuming that the stock control arms are still being utilized? This only effects the front control arms, correct?

wow just found this thread, thanks for the shout out for finding the parts, I still have yet to install mine on my MK6 GTI, any tips or procedures for installing them? step by step guide?

1: Find machinist with hydraulic press

2: Hand him your control arms and your new bushings

3: Remind him to carefully align the bushings when he installs them