GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blacked out the HIDs

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
UPDATED DIY ON PAGE 3

Well got around to doing the headlights finally. I don't have any good lcose-ups yet as I was in a rush to get them done before a show here in AZ. But heres a couple of rolling shots that give you an idea of what they look like.

This is a MAJOR job to do. If you can't afford to buy replacements if you mess it up, I wouldn't suggest trying to do it. Unlike prior generations the "glue"/silicone sealant used to hold the lenses on the housing doesn't get soft with heating. And, no I am not gonna do a DIY for this. I can almost be certain someone would try it, screw up there assemblies and start pointing fingers. I did not cut the lenses off, but I did find a way to take them apart and get them sealed back together in OEM fashion.

I will try to take some close-ups tonight so you can see the details.

Last edited:

Ultimateone

Total VW Noob
Car looks great but really can not see the mod...

R

Ronnie@BSH

They look sick!!! I checked em at BOR. I want to do that to DABUNNY this weekend

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
looks real good on UG and prolly CW and BMP but dont think it would look as good on any other colors.

azmcs

Yeah. Sorry for the poor pictures. Here is a crappy mobile phone pic of the interior after painting and before assembly.

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
damn man i wish you would let us in on the removing the lens secret.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Such a tease! :laugh:
I like the red stripe touch. :thumbsup:

azmcs

damn man i wish you would let us in on the removing the lens secret.

Check the 'tex tonight. I will probably post up a bit of "guidance" over there....

If anyone is interested, I may have a spare set of halogens like this in the near future for sale. The lenses on my HIDs are a bit beat up from rocks and debris and with the interiors looking good, I want to replace them. I could then sell the halogens with balcked out interior bits and the old lenses. They look okay, but are not perfect (also known as up to my uber-anal attitude:wink: )

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
x2 that really made it all come together. nice touch.

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
could you post a possible link to the tex thread tonight whenever you get a chance. i hate surfing that damn site.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Check the 'tex tonight. I will probably post up a bit of "guidance" over there....
Fuck the 'tex. Build up your post count over here! :biggrin:

azmcs

I'm not a fan of bras, but that is one of the best looking 4 doors I've seen yet.

Yeah, neither am I. But with al the rocks out here in AZ I wanted someway, non-permenant to protect the hood. I just roll with the bra when I am on a long raod trip. On a daily basis it isn't on the car.

BTW, If some of you have seen the "Tex thread I started is already going south as it seems "I don't want to share nice". Figure I will stick with providing help here as there is less douche'-baggery than over there.