GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Install a trailer hitch that is Non OEM yet?

xylene

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I got a hidden hitch on there. Seems to fit pretty good. Took about 30 minutes.

No body modification required. It is a little strange looking, but hey I gotta tow stuff.

Having a hell of a time getting the electrical hookup going on though :(

Attachments

• 002 copy.jpg
    002 copy.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 7,128
  • 003 copy.jpg
    003 copy.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 9,675

xylene

Passed Driver's Ed
About to be pulling a SeaDoo.. Will let you guys know how hard it pulls.

Think that white sticker needs to come off right away.

Have not been able to find anyone to do the wiring in the US. Dealer doesn't have the part and any hitch places say that as soon as you unplug the wiring to the rear lights the computer knows.

Having a friend in Germany check with VW over there. They do have a part listed on the UK website.

Quigaboo

Ready to race!
Trailer Hitch & GTI are two things that I could not have pictured together... To each their own.... Good luck..... I kept my old Jeep for that!!

Quigaboo

Ready to race!
Read an article recently in a magazine on the effects that towing can have on a car like this (GTI/GOLF, Civic Si, WRX. Basically stated that the brakes in these cars which have factory built to a higher leverl of performance, have a tendancy to fail or become significantly less effective with the added momentum behind it.....

A little thought for consideration before towing!!!

xylene

Passed Driver's Ed
Just thought I would post a pic towing my load. In case anyone is interested.

But yeah it definitely doesn't slow down near as good. Not a big problem for me as its only 1 mile from storage to the lake :)

Attachments

• DSC03549.jpg
    DSC03549.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 11,760

xylene

Passed Driver's Ed
Had someone ask so thought I would post for the group.. Found the electrical trailer hookup for GTI Mkv.

Wasn't able to get anything for it in North America, but found got the info from a dealership in Germany. Had a friend pick it up and ship it. Part number is 1K0 055 203. Going to install this weekend.. should be lots of fun :biggrin:.

Attachments

• DSC03794-1.JPG
    DSC03794-1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,441

crogers6569

Ready to race!
thats with any trailer though... you are going to have increased stopping distances and more brake fade than you would under normal driving condition but the car is able to tow a jetski or small yard trailer with ease.