GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Headlight switch removal - alternative method

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, the easy way to remove the headlight switch is well known - With the headlight switch in the "OFF" position, push in on the switch until you feel some resistance, and then, with the switch still pushed in, turn it clockwise, and pull it out. That is the easiest way to do it.

The reason why i decided to put this together was in case you either broke your headlight switch, as seen below, or you wanted to do it an alternative method, which is a little longer, and more involved.

Tools:
-Torx driver with T-20 bit
-A flathead screwdriver
-Pliers (optional)

Alternative Headlight Switch Removal Instructions:

1. Pull the tab shown below outward.

2. Once the tab has been pulled forward, unscrew the screw below. It is a T-20.

3. Remove the two screws in the pics shown below, also T-20

4. Using a screwdriver, pry the fuse box door outwards, and remove it.

5. Pull the panel outwards at the two tab locations shown below. The two metal clips do not have to be removed. Once the metal clips are free, pull the panel towards the driver's seat. Don't pull too hard, because the connectors are still connected, and will be removed in the next step. Note: If you are having a hard time with the metal clips, then they can be removed with pliers.

6. Disconnect the headlight switch and dimmer switch connectors.

7. Using two screw drivers, push in both black tabs in the pictures shown below at the same time(the tabs should move inward when pushed), meanwhile, pushing the switch ourward. This will free the headlight switch from the panel. I was able to do it myself, but an extra hand would help here.

Note: Do not push on the green thing shown in the picture, as that is the pcb.

Attachments

• hl_switch_removal_alt_1.JPG
    hl_switch_removal_alt_1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 21,901
  • hl_switch_removal_alt_2.JPG
    hl_switch_removal_alt_2.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 21,544
  • hl_switch_removal_alt_3.JPG
    hl_switch_removal_alt_3.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 21,613
  • hl_switch_removal_alt_4.JPG
    hl_switch_removal_alt_4.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 22,392

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
**I would use this method as a last resort, as it will most likely damage the headlight switch**

Another way to remove the switch, depending on where you are at, would be to remove the two springs shown here(ignore the red arrows). if you can't access them now, then you will have to break off the faceplate to get to them. Then, push the black tab that the spring pushed on(right side up, left side down), and the thing should come out.

you can look here for more pics of a disassembled headlight switch.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31272&highlight=headlight

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Hopefully none of us will ever need this, but if we do, it will be a lifesaver.

Kjyuan

blinded conserving racer
man now im all scared switching the headlight switch

Kjyuan

blinded conserving racer
man this is way harder than the typical headlight switch replacement.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Wait a minute...if your headlight switch is broken like the first picture at the top of this thread, you sure don't need an alternative method and you sure don't need to take apart the dash. You can still take it out the normal way, by pushing and turning -- you just don't have the nice handle. In that case, do it just like you'd remove a broken light bulb from a socket -- use needlenose pliers open as wide as the opening where the handle was, push them in, and turn. Alternatively, you can stuff something into it that is soft enough to get a grip but strong enough not to break -- a potato is often suggested for light bulbs, but crumpled newspaper or a rag might work better.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
Hi,
Is it possible to change the US switch to turn on the lights to the EURO one with the AUTO feature?!?!
Thanks.

i believe there is, although i think it involves more then just replacing the switch, you may need to install a light sensor and possibly vag-com.

having said this, i am not sure and i have not attempted this one yet, if someone has the information requested here, i will definitely consider making this upgrade.