GOLFMKV

decrease in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darweezie21

blah!
Car(s)
2008 DSG GTI
i noticed that there seems to be a dramatic change in the amount of oil after 2k miles? The dip stick shows it at minimum already! is this normal? if not then what is the solution?

arsenal55

DSGTI MK5
Normal with engine break ins, especially turbocharged motors. I put in a whole quart of oil in between oil changes, because the turbo burns some oil. Consumption should be no more than 1 bottle/quart in between changes though

07Noside

Banned
burning oil is absolutely normal for forced induction applications. You only have a problem if you are noticeably puffing out black clouds of smoke which is overburning oil.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Seriously, another "oh noes! my car is burning oil" thread?

A quick search will reveal many threads on this subject. Its normal. VW considers consumption of up to 1qt per 1,000 miles normal. Check your oil, keep a quart of VW 502 approved in the car, pour in as needed. Be happy.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Seriously, another "oh noes! my car is burning oil" thread?

A quick search will reveal many threads on this subject. Its normal. VW considers consumption of up to 1qt per 1,000 miles normal. Check your oil, keep a quart of VW 502 approved in the car, pour in as needed. Be happy.

:lol:

EcoRI

Bueller? Bueller?
Not to add to an already redundant thread, but I just don't get this. I have an 08 with 5k miles and two oil changes already, and my car burns zero oil. Well, maybe not zero, but not a visibly noticeable amount (and I check the level often). Did I just "luck out" and get a car that doesn't burn oil? :iono:

Crossing my fingers...

07Noside

Banned
two oil changes in 5k isn't needed at the most once every 5k is sufficient. You can even push it to 8-9k safely if you don't drive hard. The oiil its self will never break down being fully synthetic the only problem is that it gets dirty.

EcoRI

Bueller? Bueller?
two oil changes in 5k isn't needed at the most once every 5k is sufficient. You can even push it to 8-9k safely if you don't drive hard. The oiil its self will never break down being fully synthetic the only problem is that it gets dirty.

Thanks for your comment. I know what the manual says, but when I changed the oil at 1k it was pretty dirty. Then when I changed again at 5k it was just as dirty. I guess I'm rather paranoid during the break-in period and would rather get the dirty oil out sooner.

Anyway, my question is, why does my car *NOT* burn oil? It seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, at least based on my observations in this forum.

Thanks!

a4cefed

Go Kart Champion
06 and you know damn well i eat oil. I just learn to live with it. i will say it is annoying

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Anyway, my question is, why does my car *NOT* burn oil? It seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, at least based on my observations in this forum.

Thanks!

could be lots of reasons/factors...including driving habits, the tolerances of the parts and how they fit together when it was build, the level of wear, the seals, etc.

Personnally my '07 hasn't burned any yet, but I'm only at about 2300 kms.

I also had a much older turbo car, '88 XR4Ti, and it never burned any oil either, it had about 160,000 kms when I sold it. :w00t:

EcoRI

Bueller? Bueller?
I agree- all the factors you listed would likely contribute to whether or not you get an oil-burner. Plus, there probably a few we don't even realize.

It would be really cool if we could somehow correlate people's driving habits to whether or not their car burns oil. This might make a nice survey post, but you would have to think pretty carefully about how to organize it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.