GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Springs on stock shocks

GTI_Hakeem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Tornado Red GTI
I just want to lower the GTI. Im not looking for a hardcore match at an AutoX event or not even a street race. Will I be okay on stock shocks? will they blow like some people have told me? I want to do the H&R race btw.

attheline

dubbin it
Car(s)
07 MKV GTI
lots of info on this. you should get new shocks if your gonna get H&R race springs. i got the same springs but havnt bothered to get new shocks, probably had them like this for about 10,000 miles and still okay.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I know its a much bigger investment, but it really is worth it to get new shocks too. Aftermarket shocks (I recommend Bilstein, I have them and love the ride) will pair much better with the H&R springs and give you a more comfortable and better performing ride. You know the phrase...gotta pay to play...

mattley crue

aka gwarballs
Car(s)
rabbit
this is something i posted the other day....

yeah suspension breaks in and in a sense the stock struts and shocks get used to having a 25% sag(i made that number up just for referance, and sag is the amount that the push rod will compress with just the weight of the car). so on older shocks and struts when you all of a sudden change the sag to 40% or the shock/struts total travel you run the risk of blowing out the seals because they have already broken in.

in my old mk3 i did neuspeed race springs (2" i think)on stocks that had 100k on them. they still lasted me about 40k after that... but ive seen people blow stock shocks and struts within 10k
my passat i did neuspeed with bilstiens and the ride quality was better, they also lasted 60k (sold the car so they are still going) ... but you get what you paid for..... and on my mkv i am doing just springs....but i also only have 200 miles on it.... so i'm not really worried

so moral of the story..... if you do just springs it could last a little while or a long while....

i hope that helps and/or makes sense

mattley crue

aka gwarballs
Car(s)
rabbit
yeah its a chance you take..... but if your not slamming it and you stocks are fairly new then you should be ok for a while....

RenegadeLatino

obsessed with black
Car(s)
BMP 2008 GTI
it'll last for a while, depending on how you drive. it just depends if you dont mind paying for another install later on to get new shocks (or coils or whatever you wanna put on in the future) then it's not a big deal.

personally, im pretty low on cash right now so i think im just going to do springs. then in the time it takes for my shocks to go, ill save up the money for coils and install #2

GTIzzle07

NY Dubz
Car(s)
2007 GTI
whats the lowest springs i should go with stock shocks? i like the eibach pro i think its called, but i want something like at least 1.5 inch drop probably more tho

gatorfast

man amongst boys
whats the lowest springs i should go with stock shocks? i like the eibach pro i think its called, but i want something like at least 1.5 inch drop probably more tho

The lower you go the more the need for aftermarket shocks. Lower than 1.5" on the stock shocks and they wont last too long and the ride prob wont be too good.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I have the Eibach Sportlines with stock shocks, which drop 1.8" Front, 1.6" Rear.

people have already stated that in the long run you will eventually need to replace your stock shocks with aftermarket shocks as the stock shocks have a tendency to blow paired with low drop springs.

the Sportlines made the ride on the car "stiffer" than stock. it's actually not that bad IMO. even with the Sportlines the ride is still a bit soft because of the shocks.

if you want to go low I would recommend getting Sportlines or the H&R Super Sports. just keep in mind for the near future that you will want to consider getting aftermarket shocks if you don't plan on getting them with the purchase of your Springs.

LBKEN41

Too close for missiles...
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Yeah I would say just be "prepared" to buy new shocks once you install the new springs. The stock shocks should last for a while, but like any modification, some people have experienced failure sooner than others. I'm currently running Eibach Pro-Kits on stock shocks (5,000 miles) and they still feel fine. I'm ready to buy new Koni's though if something were to happen.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Yeah I would say just be "prepared" to buy new shocks once you install the new springs. The stock shocks should last for a while, but like any modification, some people have experienced failure sooner than others.

:word:

12k miles here on Sportlines and the stock shocks are doing fine. I drive pretty aggressive at times too.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I put about 5k on my stock shocks w/ sportlines before upgrading to Koni Yellows. Ride was pretty good on the stockies but it's noticeably improved with the yellows. It feels like the Koni's just eat up the road imperfections whereas the stockies would bounce around a bit. So point is--you'll be fine on the stocks for a while, probably a lot longer than I had mine on, but it's not the ideal setup.