GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 Air/Fuel Ratios

S

squirrel master

I've been looking for the AFR's for the major ECU flashes out there, and haven't been able to find excactly what I was looking for.

Longevity is my #1 concern not peak HP numbers, and was wondering if anyone knew, or could direct me to the AFR's for the major companies like Revo, APR, GIAC, Unitronics, Eurodyne etc.

Thank you for any help, sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
i can say that GIAC and APR are very safe in their latest files. Revo is kind of hard to come to a conclusion on since their stage 2 lets you determine how aggressive the tune is... perhaps that interests you?

Unitronic in my opinion is on par with the safest tunes out there.

I know nothing of Eurodyne, however, i've seen AF ratios for all the tunes your mentioned other than that one and I feel confident your stock turbo will burn out before your motor.

Keith@APR

Banned

Found this graph for APR stage 1, so their claimed AFR seems dead on.

I also read tha REVO runs at 12-12.5 at redline, but haven't found any charts. I imagine EGT's would be significantly higher which I'm not interested in, but I haven't found an actual graph yet and don't know if EGT's would actually exceed Borg Warners specifications.

Anyone out there have graphs? AFR and EGT logging with their setup? Thanks.

From this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2860775

Keith@APR

Banned

Found this graph for APR stage 1, so their claimed AFR seems dead on.

I also read tha REVO runs at 12-12.5 at redline, but haven't found any charts. I imagine EGT's would be significantly higher which I'm not interested in, but I haven't found an actual graph yet and don't know if EGT's would actually exceed Borg Warners specifications.

Anyone out there have graphs? AFR and EGT logging with their setup? Thanks.

When you add a full exhaust you can lean out the afr slightly as the freeier exhaust helps reduce egt's, hence why we got to 11.2 on Stage 2 and Stage 3.

Keith@APR

Banned
Thanks again Keith you've been a big help. I've been digging through so many threads here without luck I was about to give up. I think I'll try the vortex more now. I just don't like their search function very much.

I'm still interested in learning more about the others though so I'll look over there...

np!

Vortex used to be the happening spot but now it seems golfmk5 has taken over.

The info you are looking for was discussed about 1.5 years ago so search the archived threads for the best results. I haven't seen many logs over there as of late.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I was in the same boat as you when I first got my car. It was a very expensive purchase and not something I was looking to destroy. Chipping was a bit scary at first, so I did my homework. I followed threads for almost a year before I bought the car and finally pulled the trigger on Stage 1 APR. I was then bitten by the modding bug and went much much further with my modding, but I will say, stage 1 APR alone is a very worth while upgrade. If you are looking for a decent bump in power, not looking to tinker with hardware, and looking to preserve the life of your engine, an APR stage 1 flash is your best bet. :thumbsup:

liquidonline

my 2.0 was never 2.sl0w
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI 2dr
regarding A/F and EGT, I've read SO much about it, and I feel like I'm more uncertain and confused now than before. Does REVO still have a tendancy to produce high EGT's, and has a final agreement been reached on how broad/severe their impact is, given that when I pound my GTI it'll be on a track, and that it'll be revving high regularly?

If someone can link me to a post with a definitive answer, or something resembling one, regarding the effects of EGT, and not simply a pissing match about who logged what how and what's wrong with this scenario or that, and "prove this" or "no broken turbos yet" as justification, please enlighten me

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
Good luck finding a definitive answer!

Last edited:

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
It seems like GIAC makes a great stage 1 too, and I've heard a lot of good things about Unitronics, but still waiting to see some good logs etc. Eurodyne I haven't been able to find anything on.

Just so you know, GIAC doesn't do stages, but say the software will adapt if you add mods such as an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust. Same deal with the Neuspeed. The only drawback is that some aftermarket downpipes will throw a CEL (inefficient catalytic converter) without adding an o2 sensor mod. (cheap fix, but still something to consider) Good luck on your findings.

KaJ

Ready to race!
I'll get you my Unitronic Stage 2 AFR and EGT values early next week when I get home, I am a bit curious as well.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
IMO, it's more important to find a reliable and knowledgeable chip vendor who uses one of the major chips that's within acceptable driving distance from your house. There are lots of discussions about X is better than Y, but overall, from what i've read, it seems that they all seem relatively reliable. With regards to Revo's AFR's, don't forget that you can adjust boost, timing, and fueling with the SPS unit. GIAC and APR's AFR's mentioned above seem to be about right, but remember that tuners can change this from time to time.

You can also look at my chip faq in my sig for other info.

initialGTI

Ready to race!
Well based on the logs shown on various users I think the safe ones are ( in no particular order ) : APR, GIAC, O.CT, MTM, ABT.

Unsafe ones : REVO, Unitronic ( well it was that one log where they didnt comment anything about the lean when asked )