GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks

Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
plac
GTI Master

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
HOW TO: Perform your airbag TSB

Disclaimer: Do this work at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your car.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volkswage...5/6906051.html

Volkswagen TSB
Posted: Thu, Jul 20, 2006
Issued: Fri, May 26, 2006
TSB Number: 6906-05
Title: Air Bag System - Warning Lamp ON and or DTC's 01217 & 01218

Approximate time: 1 hour
Tools needed: (Socket is called M10?, electrical tape is YELLOW)

Start by removing your battery cover. Press in on the top of the latch as seen:

Lift your cover up and back, unhooking it from its two slots. Put it aside:

Disconnect your negative battery terminal using a 10mm wrench:

You will now remove your seat. It is held by 4 M50 bolts as shown here:

You will need to disconnect the 3 harnesses which go into the floor before you take the seat out. They can be tricky, just take your time and press on the right release points:

Carefully lift seat out without scratching your car. Place in a comfortable location where you can work:

This is the plug from the TSB which you are replacing:

Get confirmation by looking at this VW pic from the TSB. Look at the tiny arrow pointing to that plug:

You will unplug this connector. Write down the wire colors. VERY IMPORTANT!!

brown ----> brown
blue ----> green
black ----> white

As scary as it sounds, you will then snip those 6 wires off the harness. You are left with this:

You will strip your desired amount of exposed wire on all 6 wires. Put your heat shrink tubing on BEFORE you twist your wires together! You will then twist them together as shown:

Solder the proper colors together from the notes you made earlier. (Your colors might be different than mine!!!)

Once soldered, carefully pull your heat shrink tubing over your connection points. Use a heat source to snug up that tubing:

Wrap the finished product in YELLOW electrical tape. VW specifies this in their TSB which alerts VW techinicans that this work has been completed. Secure your work as shown:

Lift seat back in, and reconnect your 3 harnesses to the floor:

Bolt your seat back in. NOTE this metal piece. It can slide out of your rail sometimes. It cannot go in after the bolt is in place. It slides under that channel, and can't get started with the bolt there. You might not even see this part come out of your rail. But if yuo do, you know where it goes.

Work is complete.

IMPORTANT STEPS!

Turn your ignition to the ON position BEFORE you hook your battery back up. This is specificed in the TSB itself. Upon hooking up your negative terminal, you will hear your throttle body alignment start. DO NOT touch your pedal or turn your ignition off until this noise stops. THIS IS IMPERATIVE. My car barely ran when I missed this step last time. Once the throttle noise has stopped (about 60 seconds), you can turn your ignition off.

Clear any airbag lights you might have left over.

Drive your car and make sure it drives ok.

*My light is gone, and hopefully it doesnt ever come back*
GTI Drivers Edition - Unitronic Stage 2 91 Octane - Unitronic Customized Downpipe - Unitronic DSG Stage 1 - Golf R Intercooler - Focal Integration Speakers - OEM LED Tails - Unibrace UB - R8 Coilpacks - Soundaktor Switch - Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear
LastHumansGarage / Facebook / GTI Master / Plac / The ModFather / 100+ Video GTI Reference Library

Last edited by plac; 05-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.
plac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
GolfMKV

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
loccusst
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 06.5 UG MKV GTI
Don't know why you would do this on your own when it is under warranty?
Oh, wait......I know. Because I had to tell the VW dealership about the TSB when my air bag fault light came on. I too am a certified electronics tech and I had to explain how it was to be done. "Take seat out, bypass un-necessary plug, put seat back in...". Nice wright up by the way.

loccusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
plac
GTI Master

why? cuz i hate to go to the dealer unless absolutely neccessary.
GTI Drivers Edition - Unitronic Stage 2 91 Octane - Unitronic Customized Downpipe - Unitronic DSG Stage 1 - Golf R Intercooler - Focal Integration Speakers - OEM LED Tails - Unibrace UB - R8 Coilpacks - Soundaktor Switch - Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear
LastHumansGarage / Facebook / GTI Master / Plac / The ModFather / 100+ Video GTI Reference Library
Old 09-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
trick000
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 07 STI,08 335i
Sweet maybe I can print this DIY out and give it to the VW tech. Wouldnt that be awkward.

trick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
DBCPerformance
OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS

Drives: GTI MK6 & MK2
Send a message via ICQ to DBCPerformance Send a message via AIM to DBCPerformance Send a message via Yahoo to DBCPerformance
great write up Plac, I am not tech, but i was thinking a similar way to clear the light. Great job.
DBCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
plac
GTI Master

Change I made later. I removed my yellow tape. I then wrapped each wire individually first. this is in case any solder points poke thru eventually. just extra insurance. Then I rewrapped it in tape. Now I see how the butt connectors are easier, and the way VW recommends. A few crimps is easier than all this solder and tape work.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
kirk180
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '08 GTI & '08 3.2 A3 Sline
Very nice write up Plac. +1 on the butt connectors being used instead and then wrapping them in heat shrink. Still good though and thanks for taking the time.
kirk180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
loccusst
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 06.5 UG MKV GTI
I would still use solder though. The techs did that on mine. I prefer solder over but connects when working on my car anyway. This is still a very good write up dude.

loccusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
trick000
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 07 STI,08 335i
Hey plac where did you get that M50 tool?

trick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
plac
GTI Master

You get that at your local auto shop. Its called "Kragens" here in Cali. Prob autozone or Pep boys too.

it comes in a 4 pack of sizes. I bought 2 packs a while ago to do my axle bolts during my suspension work on my MKIV.

Last edited by plac; 05-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
plac
GTI Master

hmmm no idea why i called this tool an M50??? i swear i read it somewhere... it must be an M10..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Dan GSR
Autocross Champion

Drives: 06 GTI
Send a message via AIM to Dan GSR
just finished up doing this
thx for the how to
made it very easy

now i just gotta borrow my friend's vag com
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #13
plac
GTI Master

wow, someone actually used it? cool.

most would leave it to teh dealer.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
AxMan
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Spaceball 1
Send a message via AIM to AxMan
nice DIY. wish i had seen this before i took to the dealer. i have all those parts and tools here. im also an aircraft electrician. so it looks easy. i also had to explain the tsb to the dealer. i love how they treat you like you have no idea whats going on...

Still up in the air on selling it. runs perfect but needs some minor body work.
AxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
Dan GSR
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
wow, someone actually used it? cool.

most would leave it to teh dealer.

and be without my baby for a day ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxMan View Post
I also had to explain the tsb to the dealer. i love how they treat you like you have no idea whats going on...
another reason i'd rather do it myself
Old 09-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #16
plac
GTI Master

The only problem with this.. is the car wont have a record of having this TSB done. but who really cares. All you really want is your car fixed anyway.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
Dan GSR
Autocross Champion

well its not a recall, so not every car has to get it
only on cars that have a problem , they would bother doing it
Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #18
kirk180
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '08 GTI & '08 3.2 A3 Sline
I wouldn't mind doing it myself. And I wouldn't mind having the dealer do it for me. However, what I do mind is the using the solder instead of some butt (female/male connectors). I'm just anal like that. I like to do my electrical work nice and clean with connectors and heat shrink. The yellow tape part is a good to know tid bit. Oh well, I have an appt with the dealer on Wednesday and I want connectors to be used. So if they say they are going to solder it I will either see if I can talk them into connectors, or if not I will do it myself. It's a simple job, I'd just like to have it documented. Guess that's another part of being anal. Again, great write up plac. So simple yet so important. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of the Airbag Fault Light threads.
kirk180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #19
plac
GTI Master

cool cool.. ya my fault hasnt come back yet, and ive had a passenger a few times now. could be luck... but maybe this fix actually worked.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #20
SSS_Hoon
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 93 Nissan Pulsar SSS, MKV GTI
Send a message via MSN to SSS_Hoon
so even after you do this still need a vag-com to clear the light yeah?

if so then i will leave it for the dealer as i dont have vag-com and not paying the high price they are asking for it either.

SSS_Hoon

SSS Pulsar DE+T more respectable 133.3fwkw (untuned)
SSS_Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #21
doctorgonzo
Anti-spin doctor

Drives: 07 CW GTI MT6 Pkg 1
I just did the necessary electrical work. If I'm patient, will the light go out on its own?
doctorgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
Dan GSR
Autocross Champion

gotta reset it with vag com