GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

DaveOZ

Ready to race!
Ylian you are very kind to take the time to do this. I'm sure these photos will be very useful to someone. Thanks.

buckets

Ready to race!
Thanks for that Ylian, thought that was where the mic was, but couldn't make it out thoroughly. Pics have been a great help. Cheers!

Craig

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
WD6050 initial research

For very curious people only. Probably not of much use to anyone but I want looking my notes and performing research on this unit.

First, all of the video decode is handled by the Zoran Vaddis 966 processor. This is the big chip completely under the unit. It’s been certified to be Nero Digital compliant and used in many DVD players. Next to the Varris 996 is the “39VF1601 70-4C-EKE”, this is a 16Mbit (2 Megabyte) flash part. My US tuner is a XINFA XF-6A, the vendors no longer seems to list this one on the web site, they have newer models like XF-6D.

On the main board, there is an ST7F Audio processor (8-bit). This is made for automotive applications and does have CAN-BUS support. I am going to guess this processor is used to read the second CAN-BUS connection that normally comes from the CD changer, regardless, it's good. Next to it is the PT2258 audio controller and the TDA7418 audio processor. There is also Hynix 166mhz (16Mbit) RAM.

I could not read all the components... so, I am likely missing a bunch.

Ylian

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
Display speed on iGO8r3, more official fix

Sorry to post so much, but I just got a mail from LZF on the iGO8 forum, he just released a fix for the 480x234 iGO8r3 speed display problem. The new data.zip has been posted (v9d) with the fix.

Y

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
Ylian, thanks for taking the time to disect your brand new headunit. :yikes:

I know the feeling of putting it back together and then forgetting to push the power button!

I would be willing to bet that the Zoran IC is the brains of the operation. Unfortunately that means it'd be a bitch to "hack", as they are very cagey about giving away datasheets, command references, etc. I've PM'd you a PDF they gives some idea of what would be required to access the EEPROM of the Zoran chip. It shows a simple hardware interface & a link to the PC based flashing utility. What is that empty spot for a connector next to the hynix memory? Not a serial port is it? If it goes to pins 136 & 137 of the Zoran chip then it will be. I've programmed plenty of EEPROMs built into microcontrollers before using similar methods and programmed in assembly language, but without a command reference/memory map we're pretty much up the creek.

I also see they were kind enough to scratch the markings off the IC's on the CAN interface. :rolleyes: The CAN interface can also be very simple. Some of the PIC 18 series microcontrollers have CAN interfaces built in. It can be as simple as two chips and the supporting components (as in your photo). It still would be capable of doing fancy things on the CAN bus, it just depends what it's programmed for. (EDIT: Or are you saying there was no data interface between it & the main board - just contact closures?)

I doubt very much that either the functionality of the interface/main unit or the CAN interface can be updated in the field without pulling the unit apart & making a simple programming interface, and it appears the CAN interface & main unit would have to be programmed separately. I think a file being sent out that you can install from the flash card or DVD is very unlikely (especially for the CAN bus).

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
WD6050 hacking

MRX, thanks for the mail. You are right, there is a time where it's just too costly and complicated to hack for the benefits. I did want to scout into the unit and see if there where any simple thing. If a spare USB/Serial connector was inside or something. If everyone was driving around with this unit in their car, I would probably keep hacking for weeks. It's all about cost / benefits.

It's likely CON5 and CON8 are debug ports, they are placed perfectly for programming. Even if I had the interface, it would be difficult to decompile, etc.

For the CAN-BUS daughter board, yes, I think it's just contact closures. Of course, it's a guess from the pin markings with a pin for each usage. I have to note that there are two CAN-BUS input on this device. The main one and the one on the CD changer, they are likely handled differently.

I am now interesting how, with a 48$ adapter, CAN-BUS display can be added to this device. I suspect it's going to require a different unit. This said, many DVD players can be updated using a DISC, I presume this one can also (of course, good luck getting the signature key).

y

Last edited:

Jayro

Old Newbie
Mic Mod

1st thanks to Ylian for your work, this has opened the door for a lot of mods ect.
As lots of people want the mic improved, and dont want to dabble with the soldering iron would improving the sound path to the mic be a solution ?
It looks easy to remove the black trim face and by drilling a patteren of holes,(and not spoiling the appearance) the mic should have a better pick up.
The mic in Ylians photos cetainly looks to have a much bigger pic up area.
Perhaps you could comment Ylian as you have had a peep at it.

snguyen

Passed Driver's Ed
mrx, taking a look a the photos Ylian posted (thanks by the way) and the mic that you said worked best for you.

I assume you just soldered the mic's red lead to the existing mic location, where did you solder the black (ground i presume) lead onto the board?

Melvin

Dutchman
Car(s)
Golf V
Did someone received this tracking number already from Oskar?? Yesterday i sent him a pm but didnt respond yet, maybe he's busy packing the units:wink:

buckets

Ready to race!
Am also waiting for my tracking number...can hardly wait to get this and get it in! (with the mic mod of course):mad0259:

dr_ehabatif

Passed Driver's Ed
i talked to audiosources to day after they shipped my as7301 .
and bad news -for me- the new version with the improved canbus is available on stock now
2 days after i bought mine . thats a huge disapointment.

any how i wanna really know the condition of the steering wheel buttons during music , radio, and mp3 and phone play back guys ? i really dont know that and i asked many times and i didnt get a response. just to see if it worth it seeling this one as new and ordering a new one .

please please somone answer me. thanks