GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BSH Pendulum Mount Install (elaborated) w/ Pics

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
First, Thank you to BSH for this kit, the instructions you provided, and for the great customer service. Thought i would elaborate on your install instructions though, in case anyone became confused.

okay so the purpose of this install is to reduce engine movement, facilitate smoother shifts, and reduce wheel hop.

This install is to be done at your own risk, i, as well as BSH, are not responsible for installer neglect/mistakes, injury, etc.

do not perform this install unless you have all of the proper tools and are sure of your own ability. if you've never changed your own oil, you probably don't want to be messing around with something like this.

STEP 1 - Make sure your Pendulum Mount Kit includes all of these parts. if it does not, you must contact BSH.

(thank you to BSH for the picture!)

Step 2 - Make sure you have the proper tools. Here is a checklist.

- Ramps, Lift, Jackstands (always make sure you car is secure! it is your life!)
- Floor Jack (to support the engine)
- 5/16 Allen key socket (buy domestic!)
- 16 mm 6 Point Socket (buy domestic!)
- 21 mm 6 Point Socket (buy domestic!)
- Torque Wrench good to >74 ft/lbs
- Socket Wrench

Not Required, but recommended
- Plyers (if you have to remove a previously installed lower engine mount)
- Silicone lube spray (to assist with the removal of previous mount)
- Silicone based lubricant (i chose Wet Platinum sex lube, 8$ at wal mart) to make the installation of the polyeurothane mount easier.
- Swiss army knife & leatherman, just in case.
- Pall Malls because Camels are too expensive.

here, for the visually inclined

Step 3 - Make sure you're familiar with the assembled mount. this is what it will look like when all is said and done and it's on the car.

thanks to BSH for the picture

Step 4 - Support the engine with a floor jack. place it anywhere convenient on the oil pan. i chose to cover the jack w/ a microfiber to prevent scratching. DO NOT LIFT THE ENGINE OR THE CAR! just support it.

Step 5 - Remove the 21 MM bolt on the transmission mount. this may take a lot of leverage, i had to use the torque wrench to remove it.

Step 6 - Lubricate and insert polyeurothane mount. goes in easy at first, but to get it to sit in snug takes a little work. i used the sex lube to get it in at first, and then the silicone spray to work it in. when i couldn't hit it in with my hand anymore, i used the torque wrench to bang it in, and it went in easilly.

Step 7 - Remove the two 16 mm 6 point bolts holding the rest of the Pendulum mount in place. Remove the mount from the car.

here is a picture from BSH, if it helps

Step 8 - have a cigarette and look at the mounts.

Step 9 - Begin installing the mount kit from the transmission to the engine.

Step 10 - you're almost there. now take your torque wrench and torque the 21 mm bolt to 74 ft/lbs with a 1/4 turn. Torque the 5/16 allen bolts to 30 ft/lbs.

should look like this but less blurry

Step 11 - Drive your car. Check your bolts after 300 miles to make sure they are still torqued in the same spot.

Last edited:

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
let me know if i included everything necessary. i think it's comprehensive enough.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
nice write up. looks easy enough for even me to do!

buying the lube could be half the fun

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
you can have my old autotech lower engine mount for free. as long as you pay shipping.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
do you have a lower engine mount? only if you don't have anything and need something. i scratched the shit out of it when i had to remove it today, it looks like crap, but it still performs its function 100%.

pm me your address, i'll pm you my paypal. should be 5$ for shipping.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
"Ooo, baby, that's a little tight. Maybe use some lube?"

"Sorry honey, I used the last of it on the car today..."

"WTF??"

Great write-up, man! I'll appreciate it all the more when I install one in a few months! :thumbsup:

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
no prob.

less vibes than when i had my autotech lower engine mount. shifting is improved, esp. in the low gears. very happy with the kit. install was a pleasure.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Should make a point that braking bolts loose/and or striking anything with a torque wrench is bad news. Especially when it comes to loosening bolts with a torque wrench, thats a damn good way to break them. Always use a breaker bar to loosen stubborn bolts, hence the name breaker bar. Otherwise great DIY.