GOLFMKV

Motorcycle Riders?

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
How many of you drive sport bikes?

Is it hard?

Tips?

Did you change from stock tires?

Tell me anything else you might want to say about them.

I was over a friends house yesterday and he got a bike for his 18th bday. So he let me get on it and go about like 200ft. Well, he couldnt get me off. I was sooooooooo hooked. I was like one more time like that. I didnt really get the concept, but it felt sooo good. Now i want one, 2 bad i have to wait 2 more years//

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
After spending a weekend with a family friend who lost both legs riding his motorcycle, I'm cured of that bike bug. That being said... ALWAYS wear a helmet and stock tires are typically fine. You have to remember that unlike a car where you can mind your own business, on a bike you have to be 110% aware of what's around you and try to anticipate other drivers not seeing you.

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
Thats the only thing im worried about but i think it will go away as i start driving every day. I know about the helmet and stuff for it. i want to start out with a cbr600f3,cbr600f2 or a ninja 500r. Any thoughts on those?

DT EXP

Chewing Gum & Kicking Azz
Car(s)
2009 TiG
My first bike was CBR 600 F3, nice bike... But I had the bike long enough to find out riding a sports bike was not for me. Its fun and all, but so hard to control what all is going on around you. I now have a Piaggio VB250. But I have only put like 39 miles in a year a half..

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Thats the only thing im worried about but i think it will go away as i start driving every day. I know about the helmet and stuff for it. i want to start out with a cbr600f3,cbr600f2 or a ninja 500r. Any thoughts on those?

I used to ride an F2 and now my buddy has one. Super reliable and a nice starter sport bike.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I had a Hyosung 250R. Only rode it once since I dumped it. I rode my dad's old ass enduro for a little while. My husband has had 3 bikes, loves to ride, but he had a gut feeling that something bad was gonna happen to him after a few close encounters with possible death, so he sold his bikes and decided to take a break.

utekineir

Banned
After spending a weekend with a family friend who lost both legs riding his motorcycle, I'm cured of that bike bug. That being said... ALWAYS wear a helmet and stock tires are typically fine. You have to remember that unlike a car where you can mind your own business, on a bike you have to be 110% aware of what's around you and try to anticipate other drivers not seeing you.

x2

Most of my family always rode, mother, father, uncles, cousins, etc. Grew up riding dirt bikes and the like, had my mc license at 16. Rode 5 or 6 years. 1 Dead uncle, cousin in a wheel chair on the other side of the family, and seeing a couple mc accidents happen infront of me has really killed most motivation I had to ride.

It can't be stressed enough that you have no control of what people around you do. Saw a car stop short infront of a guy on a touring bike one day. Guy slid sideways into the rear of the car, back end of his bike clipped the car. Rider and bike got flung about 30 feet tumbling end over end. Shit can happen so quick.

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
ahh, when i think of all that can happen it makes my heart stop. But then again i think of how awesome it would be to ride one. Damn, this totally blows. Ill just buy myself a nice gti. Save my money and my life.

utekineir

Banned
Bikes are great, the feeling a bike gives you just can't get in a car, and you can go years and years without an incident. But sometimes no matter how good a rider you are shit happens.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Bikes are great, the feeling a bike gives you just can't get in a car, and you can go years and years without an incident. But sometimes no matter how good a rider you are shit happens.

Bingo. I loved it too but is it worth my life to feel that rush? No. It's just not worth it.

OP, you're a young kid with a long life to lead. Think long and hard before hopping on a bike. I'll also add that the guy who lost both of his legs was going around a corner and his bike slipped on a doormat that was lying in the road. A fucking doormat changed his life forever. That just doesn't happen in a car.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
I rode dirt bikes as a kid, had a couple of gsxr's over the years and then took a breather from it for about 5 years. Now I ride a small displacement super motard, and it's by far the most fun I've had on the street. Combines the best of both worlds for me, 250 lb bike that turns instantly and grippy tires that let you really lean it over. And it gets like 90 mpg :) I don't have to ride it when I don't feel like it or the weather is crap and I try to pick the most bike friendly route possible when I do.

Cars can be scary. I've kicked a door or two while riding to tell them not to run me over. Had to ditch a 96 gsxr when some old lady pulled in front of me. Washed out the front on another when I had to take to the sand to avoid another car.... always be on your guard! With that said, these bikes sit you up straight giving you better visibility and give you far better control of the bike than a true sport bike with an aggressive riding position would. And they're more comfortable and easier to insure :)

babyseatGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
How many of you drive sport bikes?

Is it hard?

Tips?

Did you change from stock tires?

Tell me anything else you might want to say about them.

I was over a friends house yesterday and he got a bike for his 18th bday. So he let me get on it and go about like 200ft. Well, he couldnt get me off. I was sooooooooo hooked. I was like one more time like that. I didnt really get the concept, but it felt sooo good. Now i want one, 2 bad i have to wait 2 more years//

Take a motorcycle safety course if you want to ride. If you have never had a motorcycle, and from your questions I think you have not, then pick something small to learn on and get good riding gear.

Why on earth would you change the stock tires if they are not worn out?

medic001918

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Having grown up racing and riding motorcycles, don't start with a 600 cc sportbike. Start with a 250 for a year or so and really learn to ride. From there, get any bike you want. You'll be a far better rider for doing so. Learning to ride on a sportbike is like learning to drive in a Ferrari. It's just not the best way to go.

A great resource is the new riders section at www.sportbikes.net.

Shane

siKdub

OG Laker on golfmk6.com
Just had an accident with mine. Be careful is danger out there, people don't care to look.

Brand new bike with 500 miles was totaled.

miss my kawi