GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To All Bike Enthusiasts: Thoughts on Ducati Monster?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm thinking of picking up a new ducati monster 696 for my first bike. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that bike?

I really don't want a crotch rocket or a harley and it seems like a good mix between the two with decent reviews and ok for a noob.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking of picking up a new ducati monster 696 for my first bike. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that bike?

I really don't want a crotch rocket or a harley and it seems like a good mix between the two with decent reviews and ok for a noob.

Get ready to be blasted with "You are going to crash, get yourself a cheap (insert something below 500cc, secondhand, and ridiculously cheap) then move up to whatever you want."

AdvanSuper

Banned
Seems like you beat everyone to it.

GTIMKVFAST08

schmoser boser....
Car(s)
08 BMP GTI

ducati's are great bikes but i would be alittle hesitant on getting one for your first....

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I've got a buddy who's been bike shopping for a while now. I've been trying to convince him to pick up an EFI SV650 and be done with it. Instead he keeps sending me CL listings of Ducs.

I know nothing about Ducs at the end of the day, except that the look incredible, sound pretty good, and are almost unilaterally out of my price range.

Personally I'd rather have two cheap, beater bike than 1 expensive one.

Make love not babies

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI/ZX6RR
Yes its not the best starter bike but if your mature and don't act like an ass on it you'll be fine just take it slow at first and even if your state doesn't require it take the msf coarse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chris@RT

Banned
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as your first other then a naked bike that gets dropped you end up damaging really expensive stuff not easily replaced plastics.. although plastics on a duc are not cheap.

You can pick up a used monster for 3-4 grand every day of the week. Not saying this because you will drop it or you need something less powerful to start, some 600s today make more power then a 1000 5 years ago so this argument is kind of pointless, but the older ones are still fantastic bikes so you can get a lot more for your money picking up a slightly older one.

ducati maintaince is expensive and frequent though so make sure you are aware of that, valve adjustments timing belt replacements etc. Parts are NOT cheap either Friend with a 996 and another with an R1 had a little miscommunication at about 5mph bumped and ended up both dropping their bikes. R1 was a month or two old replaced the fairing shifter and fit peg, maybe mirror and a few other parts total was about 800 bucks. Friend with the 996 which was 3 years old paid over a grand for a foot peg, touch up paint and the sticker kit, fixed the fairing himself. They also didn't talk for about 2 years.

I go through monster fazes they haven't been on my mind in a long time and all of a sudden this weekend I wanted one again.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It's an awful lot of bike for a first timer. Are you at all concerned about living in the future?

Not sure about what you mean by living in the future? Is is a monetary question or a death question?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes its not the best starter bike but if your mature and don't act like an ass on it you'll be fine just take it slow at first and even if your state doesn't require it take the msf coarse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yes, I'll definitely be taking a course prior to purchasing the bike. I'm in my early thirties so I don't think I'll be too much of an ass (got most of that out of my system with the GTI)

I was sold on going to the path that most people do, get a starter bike for 2-3K, and then move on to something that I want later. But after some thought, I decided that it was a waste of time, effort, and money to do that instead of putting that money down on a bike I wanted and do payments (~150 a month).

Good comments on maintenance costs and dropping it costs. I was more curious on the thoughts of the bike itself, rather than thoughts that my mother might have. Regardless, thanks for the insight.