Ready to race!
I'll say 300-700
Just everyday photos, birthdays,ray j videos etc

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion

Mogambo

Ready to race!
i started working on editing skills again and started shooting in raw

Overexpose in lieu of underexposing. Play around a lot to find the limits of your software. Its supposed to be fun, right?

To the guy asking about starter gear, dont count out Micro Four Thirds from Olympus. Jus' observin.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Overexpose in lieu of underexposing. Play around a lot to find the limits of your software. Its supposed to be fun, right?

To the guy asking about starter gear, dont count out Micro Four Thirds from Olympus. Jus' observin.

So overexpose then edit it out? would this also cause less grain?
i was never a fan of editing, mainly cause im impatient, and i feel it isn't 100% pure camera work.
that being said, 99.9999999999% of badass photography is all edited, so i might as well take advantage of it.

im working with photochop cs6

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

I was always told to underexpose instead of overexpose :iono:

Mogambo

Ready to race!
So overexpose then edit it out? would this also cause less grain?
i was never a fan of editing, mainly cause im impatient, and i feel it isn't 100% pure camera work.
that being said, 99.9999999999% of badass photography is all edited, so i might as well take advantage of it.

im working with photochop cs6

Well, don't overexpose on purpose, but if it happens, your salvage rate will increase. Ive tried to underexpose before (to try to get my shutter speed out of the 'camera shake' zone) and bring it back out, but it was horribly grainy.

Photoshop will be a good tool as you learn more about it, which I really don't, I use the Linux version of Lightroom, Darktable, and the Linux Photoshop, which is called gimp.

When I started out, I shot totally in JPEG, because I didn't have the software to edit. I think this made me a better photographer, because I knew I had to get it right the first time.

I find too much post processing to be off-putting and obvious, so as for the 99% comment, I think all good photographers would disagree. I do very little, raise the sharpness, bring out a little color, and maybe increase black point and for the most part I get good results. Portrait and wedding photographers are the ones that have to be able to doctor up things.

Too much post processing turns it into a job, and takes the fun out.

Not bashing the Photochop experts, its definetly a skill, but for my shit I don't need it.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Well, don't overexpose on purpose, but if it happens, your salvage rate will increase. Ive tried to underexpose before (to try to get my shutter speed out of the 'camera shake' zone) and bring it back out, but it was horribly grainy.

Photoshop will be a good tool as you learn more about it, which I really don't, I use the Linux version of Lightroom, Darktable, and the Linux Photoshop, which is called gimp.

When I started out, I shot totally in JPEG, because I didn't have the software to edit. I think this made me a better photographer, because I knew I had to get it right the first time.

I find too much post processing to be off-putting and obvious, so as for the 99% comment, I think all good photographers would disagree. I do very little, raise the sharpness, bring out a little color, and maybe increase black point and for the most part I get good results. Portrait and wedding photographers are the ones that have to be able to doctor up things.

Too much post processing turns it into a job, and takes the fun out.

Not bashing the Photochop experts, its definetly a skill, but for my shit I don't need it.

I consider changing the sharpness, saturation and playing with blacks and whites as editing. I consider everything as editing unless you block out/blur license plates for safety and personal reasons.
It's very hard to get good, true color out of a semi-basic body and lens, and that's fine. Editing brings that back.
The only thing I'm doing is playing with exposure, saturation, sharpness and once in a while, lens correction if I don't want the wide angle effect.

Your shots look great Btw. Loving that sunset shot.

Sent via my hairs.

Mogambo

Ready to race!
I thought you were leaning more towards HDR and color isolation and all the other "effects" that are so common on message boards and instagram.

I plan on getting the OMD-EM1 soon so i ca use my older 4/3 Olympus lenses with autofocus. Im pretty excited.

Its like modding, first you want a fast prime to replace the kit, then a long zoom, tripod, standard zoom, macro, wide angle, and before ya know it....youve got a few thousand in a 'hobby.' I dont give a fuck though because i can never have the excuse that i forgot my camera.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
I was always told to underexpose instead of overexpose :iono:

Theres no set rules to photography, but I would underexpose a shot instead of overexposing. Simply being that you will retain all the detail in an underexposed shot as per a overexposed shot. Also, its easier to fix in post process. To me at least.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
i started working on editing skills again and started shooting in raw. tips are appreciated

photoshoot1 045 edit by Baronian Photography, on Flickr

photoshoot1 037 edit by Baronian Photography, on Flickr

photoshoot1 033 edit by Baronian Photography, on Flickr

photoshoot1 029 edit by Baronian Photography, on Flickr

photoshoot1 048 edit by Baronian Photography, on Flickr

Composure works, subject is in focus, slight chrome aberration going on. Which is normal for car shots.

Only tips I'd probably say with the editing is to try and use the Curves feature. The shots are a bit flat, like it doesnt have much pop. Curves has the ability to make a picture into a photo. Also try using a gradient filter in the sky. Give it some nice color.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
I consider changing the sharpness, saturation and playing with blacks and whites as editing. I consider everything as editing unless you block out/blur license plates for safety and personal reasons.
It's very hard to get good, true color out of a semi-basic body and lens, and that's fine. Editing brings that back.
The only thing I'm doing is playing with exposure, saturation, sharpness and once in a while, lens correction if I don't want the wide angle effect.

Your shots look great Btw. Loving that sunset shot.

Sent via my hairs.

Dude, if you know lighting, you could do amazing shit with kit lens. Trust me. What separates a professional and a amateur is the knowledge/mastering with light. Anyone can take a picture, but not everyone can take a photo.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
I was thinking maybe we can set some sort of, challenge or contest, like maybe bi-weekly or monthly photo challenge.

So we'd set a topic, i.e 60's, and we would submit a photo with a 60's theme/style of photo. Then we'd submit one or two of our favorites, and we'll pick best of the bunch. The person who wins that challenge, now sets the topic for the next challenge. Thoughts?

I just want to get the thread more active, and I want to get more active with shooting, since I rarely do.

Mogambo

Ready to race!
Im down. After you show me curves and gradient.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I plan on getting the OMD-EM1 soon so i ca use my older 4/3 Olympus lenses with autofocus. Im pretty excited.
I have a E-M1, I love it. I came from the full-sized Four Thirds system and I find the small size of the Micro Four Thirds to be very liberating. Also, the E-M1 makes my E-5 look sooooo primitive...