GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I read in the April edition on Automobile that the next Golf will be built in Mexico. If that is the case this will be my last GTI. What does everyone think?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I hope not :(

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I think it doesn't make a difference.

You honestly think that in an almost fully automated factory, the difference between skilled mexican laborers and skilled german laborers (if there even is any actual skill difference) is really going to be a big deal?

The German engineering is what makes the difference, not the manufacturing.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I think it doesn't make a difference.

You honestly think that in an almost fully automated factory, the difference between skilled mexican laborers and skilled german laborers (if there even is any actual skill difference) is really going to be a big deal?

The German engineering is what makes the difference, not the manufacturing.

Hopefully this is true. Alot has changed since the old VW factory in PA were the quality of the US Rabbits was terrible compared to their German manufactured counterpart.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Bender1

Banned
1) Rabbits were never made in PA - they were assembled in PA (poorly) but there is a big difference.

2) U.S. Golfs will NEVER be made anywhere but germany or (possibly) the U.S.. The GTI will never come from anywhere but Germany

PERIOD.

Walter2

Ready to race!
1) Rabbits were never made in PA - they were assembled in PA (poorly) but there is a big difference.

2) U.S. Golfs will NEVER be made anywhere but germany or (possibly) the U.S.. The GTI will never come from anywhere but Germany

PERIOD.

I am not doubting you, but care to share some insight as to why this is? There must be some VW history behind it and I am always down to learn about the GTI's heritage.

RickA1

Ready to race!
I owned a "Made in Mexico" Jetta for 27 K miles. Absolutely no complaints. Ride was as quiet as a car can be. Not a single issue to report.

I've owned a "Made in Germany" GTI for 3K miles. The B pillar squeak is driving me crazy. Not that it's constant, but just knowing it's there in a new car is what mostly bothers me. I also have a list of 4 or 5 "minor" things I need to ask the dealer to look at on my next visit.

Just my experience.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
My 07 jetta was Mexican... I really don't think it mattered. If it is cheaper to assemble them there then that is a win for the end consumer. Also its not like it would come without warranty