GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General Car, Inferior or Superior Interior, & Eternal Mullet Barge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Disappointment from the enthusiast standpoint. It's not a failure by any stretch of the imagination. It's just going from the prior generation to the new one, there's little different or improved. I've driven both, and having previously grown accustomed to new models actually being new feeling, it let me down.

There's also high brand equity and loyalty at play to where many repeat sales will come without even trying. The Corolla and Toyota is the same.

Enthusiasts want "more better" all the time. They want 50hp increases with every model. Just not going to happen.

8th Gen Complaints:
1) No Torque
2) Buzzy
3) Late Power Band (Hard to Daily)
4) Updated Interior
5) Hatch
6) Bluetooth
7) More Gas Mileage.

What they Got:
1) 18% Increase in Torque at an earlier power Band
2) almost 50lbs lighter
3) More NVH
4) Features
5) a few gas mileage.
6) More reliable 6MT
7) Carryover LSD

It was definitely the "Not broken? Don't Fix it" mentality. Apparently it wasn't good enough. I'm sure the same will be said about every other car that is released.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What will happen, is that Honda will aim their sights on the enthusiasts, meet every expectation (And exceed) and it still won't be good enough.

I mean, damn, the next type R is rumored to have almost 360hp. Who gives a flying rats ass that its FWD? Read every review about the test mule, it has zero torque steer and a butter smooth powerband.

Bender1

Banned
Oh, absolutely. I just don't see why there can't be both? I think Ford has proven with the Focus that you can have your cake and eat it too.

Very good point. Even the mid-gen Civics did it well. Perhaps the global meltdown gave a business case for going softer this time around.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Enthusiasts want "more better" all the time. They want 50hp increases with every model. Just not going to happen.

8th Gen Complaints:
1) No Torque
2) Buzzy
3) Late Power Band (Hard to Daily)
4) Updated Interior
5) Hatch
6) Bluetooth
7) More Gas Mileage.

What they Got:
1) 18% Increase in Torque at an earlier power Band
2) almost 50lbs lighter
3) More NVH
4) Features
5) a few gas mileage.
6) More reliable 6MT
7) Carryover LSD

It was definitely the "Not broken? Don't Fix it" mentality. Apparently it wasn't good enough. I'm sure the same will be said about every other car that is released.

What will happen, is that Honda will aim their sights on the enthusiasts, meet every expectation (And exceed) and it still won't be good enough.

I mean, damn, the next type R is rumored to have almost 360hp. Who gives a flying rats ass that its FWD? Read every review about the test mule, it has zero torque steer and a butter smooth powerband.

In thinking about it, the problem seems to be more about the delta between the old and new models...and if the old model was pretty damned good (like the old Civic was), it's nearly impossible to crank up the new one to the point of being deemed "successful" from a media/enthusiast standpoint. Take the WRX. Despite what fanbois say, the old one was terrible. Terrible interior, wollowy handling, numb, vague steering, overall a pretty bad starting point. It was pretty easy for Subaru to vastly improve on that, making the new one such a "success" in the eyes of enthusiasts. To your point, where on earth could Honda go?

I don't care about any car's drivetrain layout if it's setup properly. While I tend to prefer RWD, it's only because they're naturally a bit easier to dial in to my driving preference. Still, a FoST does a great job at being a front driver. I think it's a marvel of engineering that the R could produce 360hp with zero tq steer FWD. That would be a riot to drive. You just have to admit that we've been conditioned to expect tq steer from high HP front drivers because nobody's really been able to do it right yet.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
my favorite Civic.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
And it's only $1!!!!

I bet this would be pretty awesome to play around with. Super rare too.

dood. i bet that fag wants $10,000 for it.. one of those delusional people. hell it might be worth $5000 in collector value alone. but for me.. maybe $3000 max.

it has a TWO speed auto... ROFL.

i would like to polish that car till its shinier than my ballsack.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
dood. i bet that fag wants $10,000 for it.. one of those delusional people. hell it might be worth $5000 in collector value alone. but for me.. maybe $3000 max.

it has a TWO speed auto... ROFL.

I'm sure he wants a fortune for it, but I have no idea what the collector value is. Two speed. Rofl. I like that Sport doe.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I mean what defines a classic? You have find yourself the right buyer to appreciate a "classic" car like that

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
In thinking about it, the problem seems to be more about the delta between the old and new models...and if the old model was pretty damned good (like the old Civic was), it's nearly impossible to crank up the new one to the point of being deemed "successful" from a media/enthusiast standpoint. Take the WRX. Despite what fanbois say, the old one was terrible. Terrible interior, wollowy handling, numb, vague steering, overall a pretty bad starting point. It was pretty easy for Subaru to vastly improve on that, making the new one such a "success" in the eyes of enthusiasts. To your point, where on earth could Honda go?

Same will be said about the next SI I bet, but there will be a ton of changes to satisfy most.

The next SI is more of a complete tear down and design from the ground up. Its not the same car in any sense of the imagination that the 8th or 9th is. There will be slight styling cues that pay homage, but its 100% different.

Think MK7. Completely different, but styling remains similar.

I don't care about any car's drivetrain layout if it's setup properly. While I tend to prefer RWD, it's only because they're naturally a bit easier to dial in to my driving preference. Still, a FoST does a great job at being a front driver. I think it's a marvel of engineering that the R could produce 360hp with zero tq steer FWD. That would be a riot to drive. You just have to admit that we've been conditioned to expect tq steer from high HP front drivers because nobody's really been able to do it right yet.

That is where "breaking the mold" comes into play. There are common "ideals" in the enthusiast realm. Like a formula that will produce the ultimate driving machine, when there are 1000000000s of combinations. However, most enthusiasts will choose an AWD or RWD, because they thing logically it is the better performing vehicle (Which a lot times, they are). Honda is out to take the FF Ring Record and provide the best possible experience.

They're trying to break the Affordable Hypercar Mold.
They're trying to break the SUT Mold.
They're trying to break the Small CUV Mold
etc. They always build niche vehicles that are aimed for specifics.

Forgot to add Acura is really ramping up too.

Merkle

Banned
In other car news:

I have the motivation to detail my car...
I have the time to detail my car...
I have the tools and chemicals to detail my car...

...rain tonight and all weekend :(

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Same will be said about the next SI I bet, but there will be a ton of changes to satisfy most.

The next SI is more of a complete tear down and design from the ground up. Its not the same car in any sense of the imagination that the 8th or 9th is. There will be slight styling cues that pay homage, but its 100% different.

Think MK7. Completely different, but styling remains similar.

That is where "breaking the mold" comes into play. There are common "ideals" in the enthusiast realm. Like a formula that will produce the ultimate driving machine, when there are 1000000000s of combinations. However, most enthusiasts will choose an AWD or RWD, because they thing logically it is the better performing vehicle (Which a lot times, they are). Honda is out to take the FF Ring Record and provide the best possible experience.

They're trying to break the Affordable Hypercar Mold.
They're trying to break the SUT Mold.
They're trying to break the Small CUV Mold
etc. They always build niche vehicles that are aimed for specifics.

Forgot to add Acura is really ramping up too.

I am looking forward to watching Honda develop the next few years.

In other car news:

I have the motivation to detail my car...
I have the time to detail my car...
I have the tools and chemicals to detail my car...

...rain tonight and all weekend :(

That's how it always works.

Status
Not open for further replies.