GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garage Decor

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Sheds are stupid expensive for what they are. I'll make sure in the garage for a while. This just came though 😃
20220428_133605.jpg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I'm looking into a shed as well to clear out the garage. For you shed guys, did you build from scratch, or go pre-fab?

Bought used from Craigslist. Saved over 50%. A guy picked it up and dropped it off for $100.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Bought used from Craigslist. Saved over 50%. A guy picked it up and dropped it off for $100.
I sold mine for $100 (a very old Rubbermaid) and the guy helped me disassemble it to pieces and then hauled it off in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
It was old (here before we bought the house) and the plastic was all warped. There was NO WAY that thing was going back together again either

So, just be careful what you buy (used)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
well y'all inspired me to do some spring cleaning.

My garage came with these pretty shitty wooden shelves nailed into the walls. Never liked them, mostly because they simply lend way to just piling shit onto all of them, which is unsightly.

Tore down half of them yesterday (imagine the shelves you see on the right side, but also on the left! ;) )

The aim is to get rid of those shelves, and get everything on the right wall (fridge, file cabinet which handily stores most of my detailing products, my 'workbench', tool boxes, etc up against that wall so that there is very little against the wall along the cars. I will replace the shelves with one (or two) big-ass plastic cabinets that will handily store all of the loose items, keeping the whole situation looking much tidier indeed.

And probably soon enough, i will have to break down and paint the wall and cieling, then i want to add a window and wall a/c unit, and hose bib.
1651245816554.png

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

My garage came with these pretty shitty wooden shelves nailed into the walls. Never liked them, mostly because they simply lend way to just piling shit onto all of them, which is unsightly.

Tore down half of them yesterday (imagine the shelves you see on the right side, but also on the left! ;) )

The aim is to get rid of those shelves, and get everything on the right wall (fridge, file cabinet which handily stores most of my detailing products, my 'workbench', tool boxes, etc up against that wall so that there is very little against the wall along the cars. I will replace the shelves with one (or two) big-ass plastic cabinets that will handily store all of the loose items, keeping the whole situation looking much tidier indeed.

And probably soon enough, i will have to break down and paint the wall and cieling, then i want to add a window and wall a/c unit, and hose bib.
View attachment 247598
Why not paint now?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

View attachment 247598

I added a heater in mine before winter 2020. Was a great move. Window and A/C would be great, but will probably not happen.

Water... I would love to add hose bibs in the garage, both hot and cold. I have a line I can easily tap in to right on the other side of the garage wall, but don't have any drain or any way to really add a drain.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I put some insulation on my garage door but prob won't add a real heater. My fiance bought me one of those propane tank heaters that just attaches to the tank and can be easily stored when not being used. It works great. Need a big fan though for the summer, the garage gets hot

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I just have a single car garage. I tried a smaller wall mounted heater, that shit couldn't warm a cardboard refrigerator box. I caved in and ordered a Dr Heater that I mounted to the ceiling and wired up. Does a much better job.

And yeah, you're right. Garage gets hot in the summer.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
yeah i can usually suck it up in the winter time, might one day get a heater. but window mount a/c unit is where my moneys going first, since i'm more of a 'work on the car and hang out in the garage during the summer' kind of guy.

of course my midwesterner pride makes we try to embrace the cold with a friendly grimace.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
yeah i can usually suck it up in the winter time, might one day get a heater. but window mount a/c unit is where my moneys going first, since i'm more of a 'work on the car and hang out in the garage during the summer' kind of guy.

of course my midwesterner pride makes we try to embrace the cold with a friendly grimace.
What about getting a ductless mini split instead?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

View attachment 247598
another idea, depending on how handy you are, you can use the shelf boards from the one you took down to cap off the end of the shelves that are still standing. Then you can create a door setup (multiple ways to go about that) so that you've got essentially a closed off shelf and everything on those shelves right now will be hidden away. Use the space that you've just opened up to create a work bench for yourself and if you need more storage you could put cabinets up above the bench.