GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. Turbo

Tailgate latch intermittently not working

So, to open the tailgate, there is not a direct mechanical link. When you flip the VW badge, you're triggering a switch that then causes the latch to be released. The tailgate latch on my GTI is intermittently not working. I sometimes have to flip the lever several times before the latch...
  2. Turbo

Stock woofer replacement

The stock woofer on the front driver's side door is blown. I am just going to order a replacement woofer from the dealer for $18. A couple of questions: 1) Any reason to order a second one and replace the passenger side woofer too? Will there be a matching problem with the sound? 2) I've...
  3. Turbo

Squeak when I turn

Every morning, or after the car has been sitting for a while, when I drive off and turn to the left I hear a squeak from the front right. It sounds like a like a brake squeal, but I'm not braking and my brakes don't make noise when I do hit them. After a few tight left turns, the sound goes...
  4. Turbo

Normal HID self-leveling behavior?

In April I had a little fender bender that required the replacement of the driver's side HID assembly. After the repair I went for a night drive and noticed that my headlights weren't aligned very high so I didn't have very good forward visibility. When I got home I turned my headlights on and...
  5. Turbo

Nicked A-pillar liner

I was replacing a registration sticker on my windshield using a flat-blade windshield scraper. There was some glue residue left that I was trying to remove from the glass. I'd scrape some off, wipe the razor clean then scrape the next bit off. After repeating this sequence several times I...
  6. Turbo

4x4 Rolls Royce

A friend at work came running asking if I had my camera. He said “you’re gonna want to shoot this. There’s a 4x4 Rolls Royce with flowers all over it coming down the road.” My first reaction was “huh?” Anyway, sure enough, this sight came down the road. These were shot about 100 yards away...
  7. Turbo

Official Hufeisen/Denver wheel thread

Didn't see a Hufeisen/Denver photo thread so I thought I'd start one. OK everyone, post 'em if you've got 'em. Let's see them all. Let's see them in stock condition, painted, powdercoated, muddy, clean, dusty, wet, curbed, whatever. Post your pics. Note: I know many on this forum don't care...
  8. Turbo

You need this...

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/03/worlds_most_exp_1.php
  9. Turbo

Fahrenheit GTI in the news...sort of

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/us/politics/28license.html Is this guy a member on this forum?
  10. Turbo

VW Logo Reflection

I pulled into the parking garage at my dentist’s office today and the sun hit my car just right so that this was projected on the wall in front of me.
  11. Turbo

Aperture 2 or Lightroom?

Aperture 2 came out a week or two ago (there's a 30 day free trial at http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/ if you want to try it out). Anyway, in terms of Aperture 1.x vs. Lightroom--Lightroom wins. Now Aperture 2.0 is a new beast. Anyone here spent much time using Aperture 2? I'm 5 days...
  12. Turbo

My first day at the track!

I did an autocross novice school at the track (Driveway Austin) today to prepare me for my first autocross event tomorrow. Holy crap that was fun!!! I got 16 runs on the track today. 10 of them with me driving with an instructor riding shotgun, 3 with the instructors driving me around, and 3...
  13. Turbo

Texans: If you don't vote, you can't complain...

This election has longer lasting ramifications than the Presidential election this Fall. I voted, twice: http://apps.dot.state.tx.us/services/vehicle_titles_and_registration/vote_plate.htm
  14. Turbo

WTF is this rubber cap?

So I was doing a little DIY work on my GTI. I removed the front driver's side wheel and then removed the wheel well liner. As soon as I got the liner out I saw on the floor a little rubber cap (see attached pics). I'm 99% certain that was not there before I started. At first I thought it was...
  15. Turbo

Buckled fender! How to remove bumper?

The short version: How hard is it to remove the front air dam/bumper so I can bend back a buckle in the driver's side fender? The long version: On December 2, I was shooting pictures of SAbroSO's and my GTIs when SAbroSO noticed that I had a cracked sidemarker. I examined the paint in the...
  16. Turbo

Nikon D300 or Canon 40D?

I'm about to consign a bunch of OLD gear and will be buying a new DSLR body and some lenses. I will not be tied to one platform, so I am free to switch. If you were starting FROM SCRATCH, no investment in platform-specific gear right now, what would you get, a Nikon D300 or Canon 40D? (No...
  17. Turbo

Are they just covering their legal arses?

I checked Continental's web site because I have "Performance Summer tires" on my GTI. According to their knowledge base: I know not to drive on ice/snow with these tires and to expect that they will have less grip as the temperature drops, but do I really need to change out these tires below...
  18. Turbo

Austin, Texas GTG 8:30 Sunday morning

You are invited to a get together this Sunday morning (Dec. 2) at 8:30. Come enjoy good food and good company at Cisco's Restaurant followed by photo shoots of people's rides at area sites. Bring your camera, if you have one. Join us! Cisco's Restaurant 1511 E Sixth St Austin, TX...
  19. Turbo

HD Radio w/ stock HU?

So, right now I'm still enjoying my 90 days of free Sirius service. Not sure I would pay almost $150/year to have the service though. I might consider half that, but it seems only XM has a deal like that ($77). Anyway, if I were to give up Satellite radio, I thought, maybe HD radio would be...
  20. Turbo

Now this is football

Craziest soccer game I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AwKFs6Zygg