GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone around here race?

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I mean serious racing, not weekend warrior style. I'd love to get into something like the Rolex Cup, haha yeah right I know. I want to know what a good way to get started is? SCCA? or something else. I'm 20 so I definetely have some time to work with. I know this is a really general question but any info would help.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
im guessing u were watching the race at VIR with the DP's and GT's...it was a good ass race at the end there

as for getting into racing...SCCA is a great way to start...other than that i would have no idea...i have a friend that used to race in the GT class for about 5 years....ill ask him what the best way to get into real racing is

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Haha your absolutely right. I was watching the race, and thinking damn that would be the coolest job.

That would be great if you got a chance to talk to your friend. Any info/advice would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks in advance.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I used to race datsun 510's back in Cali where I grew up, it was real grassroots stuff, but pretty organized. I held an SCCA membership for about 3 years but kinda fell off in the past couple. Just find out what's available in your area and go from there...

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Thanks for the advice. We have an indoor karting place here called pro-kart, with the 50mph karts. I think I may try and get into a summer league there. I'm transfering schools and moving to LA this fall so I'll probably wait and check stuff out there. I bet they would have more there than they would here in Minnesota.

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Are you ready for a serious investment? You're going to need to get into it the same way figure skaters practice all the time, and tennis players practice all the time. The fact that you're already 20 without any real experience will probably count against you somewhat. You can probably make up for it, though.

Start by doing SCCA autocross events and work your way up to SCCA races. The indoor kart track will also be a plus. In the meantime, go to an established racing school (i.e., Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc.) and start taking classes. Start looking for a car to buy that you can race-prep (I've heard the spec-Miata series is relatively cheap and very competitive).

Then, very simply, win. The more you win (or at least get a podium finish), the more you'll get noticed. Then, start polishing your public speaking and presentation skills, as you're going to need them to woo sponsors for dollars. You might want to re-consider any other college, grad school or career plans, since racing is basically a full-time job these days.

Also, look at the webpages of your favorite drivers (*cough* Danica Patrick *cough*) and see all the different series they've had to drive in and succeed at to move on to the next level.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. :wink:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Ok I got it...

1. Drop out of college.
2. Win the lottery
3. Buy and mod a Miata
4. Win
5. Marry Danica Patrick
6. Win some more
7. Race F1.

Haha easy. Thanks AJ I understand what you mean, it just seems like I might as well take up football 'cause I think I would have a better chance making it to the NFL. I guess it's more of a dream than reality but I always can dream. I think I will start with the autocross and then make it a goal to be doing some kind of Road racing perhaps the spec Miata by the time I'm 25, then go from there. Thanks for the info, it helps.

Rabbitpilot

Go Kart Champion
The LT is pretty much on the money. It's much easier if you have a rich family member keel over too.:laugh: Quite a few pro's come from Spec Miata and superkart. It will take a TON of dedication, skill, and some good looks too, they don't seem to hire ugly drivers much.:laugh: I can get you hooked up with the best Kart instructors out here (one is a friend of mine that also races Rolex) as well as great road course instruction at grassroots prices. It will at least get you started (one of our instructors is also on a Rolex team). It's a lot about who you know as well and age. I'm 34 and waaaayyyy too old to get hired.:cry:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
That is very generous of you Rabbitpilot. I'll be moving out to LA this summer. I don't know where the schooling you speak of is relative to LA, but I want it bad enough to travel. I will definetly take you up on that in a couple months. Just being able to get in contact with drivers and teachers of that caliber has to be a great start. I was a pretty elite athlete in high school. I know this doesn't really translate, but I do have the dedication to do something as well as hand eye co-ordination. I'm lucky too cus I think I'm too pretty to race NASCAR. haha Thanks so much!!

Rabbitpilot

Go Kart Champion
Well, by buddy Memo hit the wall at Long Beach full force during practice and he walked away with two compressed vertebrae. He's a fitness nut, and if he was in lesser shape, the outcome would not have been as good. Staying fit is key to endurance (as you know), which is as important on the track as anywhere else. Look at what it did to Paul Tracy a few years ago. :thumbsup: