GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS3 Price Cut

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103600050010&id=1156203388765

I would buy those, because if you're going to spend more than that you might as well get an HDMI cable for $20 from a local store or Ebay one for even less, unless you're out of HDMI inputs in the TV or something

well i'm not out of any inputs. i'm only using 2 AVI inputs now. 1 for the DVD player, and 1 for the PS3. can i use HDMI or component for the regular DVD player to get a better picture quality?

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
well i'm not out of any inputs. i'm only using 2 AVI inputs now. 1 for the DVD player, and 1 for the PS3. can i use HDMI or component for the regular DVD player to get a better picture quality?

Most likely, the DVD player has component outputs. If it's newer, it may even have HDMI. HDMI would be the prefered output, as its the purest. I've never had complants with component though. I do have one question, mainly for Rabid. You mentioned that Plasma is the way to go with gaming. Well, I've always heard image quality and black levels are better than LCD, but isn't there a good chance of image burn-in with plasmas? Which would make it a bad choice for gaming? Just curious, because thats the only reason I went with LCD.

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
Also, about cheap cables, try RITEAV.com or monoprice.com. I've ordered from there and they are great cables. If you want top of the line cables, try bluejean cables. Still cheaper than Monster, and much better.

Justin W

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Jetta
december 07.

Where did you see that?

Early on in the PS3 existence - when there was going to be a retail release of Gran Turismo: HD - GT5 was once slated for a 2009 delivery. Since the full retail release of GT:HD was cancelled, all I have seen is "TBA" for a release date for GT5... including the GT: Prologue downloadable content... now the cancellation of GT:HD retail has to have pushed the GT5 release date forward.

Now, as many developers are guilty of -- Polyphony has a sketchy track record on release dates.

Just don't hold your breath on December 07.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Most likely, the DVD player has component outputs. If it's newer, it may even have HDMI. HDMI would be the prefered output, as its the purest. I've never had complants with component though. I do have one question, mainly for Rabid. You mentioned that Plasma is the way to go with gaming. Well, I've always heard image quality and black levels are better than LCD, but isn't there a good chance of image burn-in with plasmas? Which would make it a bad choice for gaming? Just curious, because thats the only reason I went with LCD.

i guess i can try an HDMI for the DVD player which i bought sometime last year, and i'll use the component for the PS3.

Where did you see that?

Early on in the PS3 existence - when there was going to be a retail release of Gran Turismo: HD - GT5 was once slated for a 2009 delivery. Since the full retail release of GT:HD was cancelled, all I have seen is "TBA" for a release date for GT5... including the GT: Prologue downloadable content... now the cancellation of GT:HD retail has to have pushed the GT5 release date forward.

Now, as many developers are guilty of -- Polyphony has a sketchy track record on release dates.

Just don't hold your breath on December 07.

i saw it on best buy's website

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!

I had heard the same thing but I don't really worry too much about heresay... I bought my plasma and 360 on the same day (wasn't planned I just happened to get my tv on that day I ordered it a month before) and have been playing on it since hour one. There's a lot of technology to prevent it, for examply my tv has a pixel shift feature which switches the picture over one set of pixels (varies direction) every minute. It's so fast and such a minute change, you can't see it. CRT's (tube tv's) had a chance of burn in and they lost brightness over time too, but you don't hear much about that anymore. Many people still consider them to be the king of picture quality. I watch my tv with black bars (I don't stretch anything), video games.. you name it and I have never had a problem.

I guess it's the same with LCD, you can say the black levels suck and they have pixel lag during gaming, and off axis viewing sucks... But they've improved a lot also.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Use coaxial or optical if you want DD5.1, otherwise you can run stereo RCA's for two channel audio, but you'd only do that if your receiver is ancient.

my receiver is ancient. i'm gonna have to upgrade so i can run 5.1 DD with PS3. i went today and bought the component cables for HD so just need to up the audio portion.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
my receiver is ancient. i'm gonna have to upgrade so i can run 5.1 DD with PS3. i went today and bought the component cables for HD so just need to up the audio portion.

Depending on what you want you can get an ok receiver for like $200 or so, something like an entry level Pioneer (VSX-516 was last years model, not sure if it's still out there) or Onkyo or something and it'll be a nice upgrade.