GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... May 2024 Colder Than May 1987 - Climate Change Is A Hoax

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Damn, they hold 6 quarts?!
After today’s oil change, it took 6.2 quarts. Mind you I don’t use an extractor

I got nothing against that method. But I prefer to just pay 2 bucks for the plastic drain plug and drain it the way car Jesus intended.

on my last oil change, also drained using good ol gravity. I fit about 6 and a third quarts

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Jim’s another mother fucker

I have a 2020 gti. Had my oil changed today. I fucking hate that god damn 0w20 vw508 oil. Cant I just use the vw502 5w40?
I have a 2019 and use 5w-40, but I'm tuned and I track.

For street driving, I would stick with 0w-20.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
You guys need to learn how to read. It says:

Suitable for VW/Audi 500.00/501.01/ 502.00/505.00/505.01, BMW LL-01, water-cooled Porsche A40 and Mercedes-Benz 229.1/229.3/229.5 applications

I have some lovely Kung PAO base maple syrup that I say is suitable for 502 engines - that doesn't make it certified, nor does it make it a good idea to use.

Here is the list of approved oils. There is one Redline 5w40 oil on there, but it isn't the one you linked to. They also have a 0w20.

Boutique oil manufacturers love to play word games to imply that their crap is certified by using words like "suitable for" and "recommended for"

My kung PAO based maple syrup blend is suitable AND recommended for BMW when mixed with Paulaner, for Mercedes when Stuttgarter Hofbräu is added and for VW when Fallersleben is substituted for the Paulaner or Stuttgarter Hofbräu.

If you feel brave, and your VW was built in Mexico, then add a splash of Corona.

It costs money to get oils certified and as long as these boutique oil clowns have their fanbois, they don't need to do that.

OTOH - think about this for a few minutes before you answer.

If an oil meets a certain specification, then it doesn't really matter which of those oils you buy - as, by definition, they all meet the same specs. And nobody can say "I can tell the difference" in a way that gives them more credibility than zricky.

There is an added benefit - anything you have left over can be used for a great steak marinade - but is not suitable or recommended as a grilling agent for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Yes I was incorrect it is not certified. I had forgotten but I do remember when I researched it that is was not certified and I did see that PDF and decided to go with it anyway. Either way I will continue to use it like I have been for 2 years.

So @Keehs360 my bad it is not certified.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes I was incorrect it is not certified. I had forgotten but I do remember when I researched it that is was not certified and I did see that PDF and decided to go with it anyway. Either way I will continue to use it like I have been for 2 years.

So @Keehs360 my bad it is not certified.
👍🏽