GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3" Straight pipe (or almost) vs 3" Downpipe w/stock cat-back for F23T

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I have recently moved to a spanking brand new Frankenturbo F23T, so, my friends are giving me a hard time about my almost stock exhaust, they say the turbo now "requires" that kind of exhaust diameter to work properly, i have been running it for a couple of days with a catless 3" downpipe mated to "stock" cat-back (resonator delete), the same setup i had with the K03, so....is really that necessary? there is any decent power to be made from that? I would be mating the 3" downpipe to a basically 3" straight pipe, with a straight flow resonator in the middle, im reluctant to go full straight pipe because of the noise/drone levels it might have, thoughts?

If you have a K04/F23T what kind of exhaust is in your car?

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I'm back to stock catback on mine.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177204

When I did have the 3" catback on, I didn't feel any significant power increase. A dyno may have shown a few hp, but it wasn't worth the payoff in sound to me. Although I never had the res delete either, so you may be used to it already.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I see, im not sure if it is even recommended to upgrade to a complete 3" exhaust on a K04/F23T, is not even that big of a turbo, im kind of used to the sound it makes now, since it is only "loud" at WOT, will see, i friend of mine just removed a borla resonator recently, if i got it for cheap i might go to a 3" exhaust with said resonator in the middle, he loves LOUD cars, he has a straight piped SRT4 (freaking loud), and removed the resonator off a Focus RS because it was not "loud enough" for him with a 3" full exhaust xD

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
That setup will be very loud with minimal gains.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Have you been around / driven a car with no muffler? It's too much for any car that sees the street even remotely often and that's coming from me with my deleted interior.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
When i upgraded to a full 3"turbo back it was definitely noticeable. I'd say if you want to squeeze every pony possible i highly recommend going full 3".

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Catless 3", with 2 resonators. It's quieter than my 2.75" baffled-cat DP with a baffled muffler. Arj116 is a member on here who is local to me and has a 3" catless with 2 resonators. His exhaust is extremely quiet under normal driving, and when you open the taps it sounds really smooth and decently loud. It also shoots flames because DSG

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Catless 3", with 2 resonators. It's quieter than my 2.75" baffled-cat DP with a baffled muffler. Arj116 is a member on here who is local to me and has a 3" catless with 2 resonators. His exhaust is extremely quiet under normal driving, and when you open the taps it sounds really smooth and decently loud. It also shoots flames because DSG

Flames!! i might have to give this a chance just to see if that happens with mine xD