GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$5 device opening locked cars

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
There's no way. Our keys are so specific for programming it's ridiculous. Even if they can get in, they can't start the car.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Induction is a real thing, so this isn't bullshit. A large enough electrical discharge near a circuit would induce a charge into it. If there's a relay on that circuit, I guess enough voltage will see it fire.

So, this would be like sidestepping the ECU completely, if my guess is correct. Where the computer normally interprets the wireless exchange of data, verifies its source and then actuates the relay, this could be actuating the relay directly... like a doctor sidestepping your conscious brain and hitting your knee with a mallet.

All of that is theory on my part, of course. Anyone with more experience on the matter?

Duster117

Ready to race!
More on the story today:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2415460131/

The better I understand this attack, the more unlikely it seems that disabling this functionality in the ECU would be effective. I'm thinking the only protection might be physically disconnecting the door lock relays. Your lock button on the door wouldn't even work.

if we did that our passenger side door would be permanently locked or unlocked