GOLFMKV

ACC to CCS.... Is it possible

MopedMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Estate 1.6 TD
Hi all!

**BACKSTORY**
I bought my 2016 MK7 Variant over 2 years ago, knowing that it had previously been in a crash and repaired (it was cheap as chips). I set about getting all the important stuff addressed (the back axle was bent, needed wheel bearings and injectors etc.), and now I'm at a stage where the small issues are annoying me. For as long as I've had this car, the Adaptive Cruise Control has not worked, and I've always had an error on my clocks saying "Front Assist Not Available". When I try to activate ACC, I get another error "ACC: Error". Lots of research has linked these two together.

Using my clone VCDS, I've determined I haven't a clue what's going on! I cannot calibrate the sensor, and I believe my version needs ODIS to calibrate. Reading lots and lots of forums shows that the ACC can be quite problematic, and I don't want to spend a lot of money for something to potentially fail again. (The last quote I got from VW was €3,000 to diagnose, replace the sensor and recalibrate the system!)

Is it possible to code out ACC, and revert back to stock CCS? I believe this can be done, but no matter what guide I follow, I cannot get it to work. (I've found lots of info on this in Audi forums, so maybe they're is a VW specific procedure). The closest I've gotten to success was using this guide: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/34359/. I got my instrument cluster to say "Cruise Control System", but it would not activate, and it introduced a Stop/Start error. I've since reverted back to the stock coding.

My car is a 2016 Match Edition Golf Mk7, 1.6 TDi, with the 7 speed DSG gearbox.

Just a few things to point out here:
I cannot ask on Ross-Tech as my VCDS is non-genuine.
No, I do not want to buy a genuine one, as I do not use it often enough to justify it's price.
I appreciate you might love ACC, but it's not cost efficient for me to replace with new, when I could potentially revert to standard CCS for a fraction of the price.
ACC does not affect my insurance, so again, no benefit in having it for that reason.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@MopedMan: Hi.

I've not personally done this project - but I understand ALL the matters listed in your "few things to point out here" (these are your decisions - I don't judge others on forums ;))

The first comment to make is that the video in your link relates to a 8RO chassis car- whereas your vehicle has a MQB platform build -which means that it has a 5Q0 (3Q0 maybe?) chassis, very different! This said, ACC is deeply integrated into the CAN network on both chassis cars!

As a broad response to your question, to "downgrade" the Cruise Control facility on a MQB platform car - the following general changes. must happen:
  1. Unplug Radar module, remove the ACC module (@ address hex13) from the Gateway Installation list (GIL)
  2. Change buttons on steering wheel - ACC and normal CC use different communication signals albeit both use LIN protocols.
  3. Remove ACC software switches from lots of modules:
    1. Long-code on engine, abs, gateway and Instrument modules
    2. MIB Adaptations
    3. Maybe other changes I haven't considered!
The specifics of the changes in my list above depend entirely on the way that this car was factory built - meaning the module Part/Software numbers that were actually installed into this car.

Alas, not a trivial exercise!

Last edited:

MopedMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Estate 1.6 TD
@MopedMan: Hi.

I've not personally done this project - but I understand ALL the matters listed in your "few things to point out here" (these are your decisions - I don't judge others on forums ;))

The first comment to make is that the video in your link relates to a 8RO chassis car- whereas your vehicle has a MQB platform build -which means that it has a 5Q0 (3Q0 maybe?) chassis, very different! This said, ACC is deeply integrated into the CAN network on both chassis cars!

As a broad response to your question, to "downgrade" the Cruise Control facility on a MQB platform car - the following general changes. must happen:
  1. Unplug Radar module, remove the ACC module (@ address hex13) from the Gateway Installation list (GIL)
  2. Change buttons on steering wheel - ACC and normal CC use different communication signals albeit both use LIN protocols.
  3. Remove ACC software switches from lots of modules:
    1. Long-code on engine, abs, gateway and Instrument modules
    2. MIB Adaptations
    3. Maybe other changes I haven't considered!
The specifics of the changes in my list above depend entirely on the way that this car was factory built - meaning the module Part/Software numbers that were actually installed into this car.

Alas, not a trivial exercise!
Thanks for your reply!

I feel I had to include my little list, as any forums I have read about this matter tends to go off topic and down certain rabbit holes.

I'll give it another go with your advice in mind, however, do you you think it's absolutely necessary to change the steering wheel buttons? Reason I'm asking, is CCS is a "set and forget" kind of system, which would require the "Set", "Res" and "I/O" buttons, all of which I have. I would just have the distance button as an extra, which would now be redundant?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It is absolutely necessary to change the buttons. The engine ECU is going to throw errors if the buttons are wrong. In fact if you were going the other way, retrofit of ACC in place of CCS, you would have the ECU fault, and ACC fault and a glow plug light illuminated so long as the wrong buttons are installed... ask me how I know, if you dare, haha.

The bigger problem you have is that your gateway is unlikely to have the SWAP for for CCS active. You could reach out to a retro-fitter to see if they can activate that swap for you. I personally use VAG Retrofit & Coding. I don't have experience with anybody else so I can't give you a comparison, but I've been more than happy with their service. Google them and reach out on their telegram.

VW does sell a CCS retrofit kit for the MK7. It includes the activation code for the SWAP. It has to be done by a dealer, or service center with ODIS online access. The kit would include the steering wheel buttons but probably costs more than you will have to spend for used buttons from a wrecker/eBay. There's also no guarantee that retrofitting with the kit won't cause any additional issues since it's not meant for a car equipped like yours.

That was a lot of text to say your best bet is to reach out to one of the retrofit companies. And you need to change your buttons.

MopedMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Estate 1.6 TD
It is absolutely necessary to change the buttons. The engine ECU is going to throw errors if the buttons are wrong. In fact if you were going the other way, retrofit of ACC in place of CCS, you would have the ECU fault, and ACC fault and a glow plug light illuminated so long as the wrong buttons are installed... ask me how I know, if you dare, haha.

The bigger problem you have is that your gateway is unlikely to have the SWAP for for CCS active. You could reach out to a retro-fitter to see if they can activate that swap for you. I personally use VAG Retrofit & Coding. I don't have experience with anybody else so I can't give you a comparison, but I've been more than happy with their service. Google them and reach out on their telegram.

VW does sell a CCS retrofit kit for the MK7. It includes the activation code for the SWAP. It has to be done by a dealer, or service center with ODIS online access. The kit would include the steering wheel buttons but probably costs more than you will have to spend for used buttons from a wrecker/eBay. There's also no guarantee that retrofitting with the kit won't cause any additional issues since it's not meant for a car equipped like yours.

That was a lot of text to say your best bet is to reach out to one of the retrofit companies. And you need to change your buttons.
Interesting that you mentioned the glow plug light, as this was on along with the Stop/Start error! Maybe I was close after all, but the buttons were stopping me?

As for SWAP codes, I'd have assumed the fact I had ACC from factory, CCS would be a subsystem requirement (like needing a base game before you can play DLC, very bad metaphor I know).

I'm relatively new to the VAG coding side of things, more of a "hands on" mechanic, so I'm completely out of my depth with activations etc, but I will reach out to them for some advice! Thanks!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Interesting that you mentioned the glow plug light, as this was on along with the Stop/Start error! Maybe I was close after all, but the buttons were stopping me?

As for SWAP codes, I'd have assumed the fact I had ACC from factory, CCS would be a subsystem requirement (like needing a base game before you can play DLC, very bad metaphor I know).

I'm relatively new to the VAG coding side of things, more of a "hands on" mechanic, so I'm completely out of my depth with activations etc, but I will reach out to them for some advice! Thanks!

The assumption about needing CCS as a "subsystem" is not correct. They are independent swap codes. I cannot guarantee your car doesn't have both codes, but there's also no reason for your car to have the CCS swap.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion