GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any downpipe install DIYs?

jshwon

Ready to race!
Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to hijack someone else's thread. With all of the members with DP installed I was wondering if anyone has created an DIY. I want to get an idea of how difficult it is to do myself. I am mechanically inclined but don't want it to take all day. Also for ease of swapping back for dealer visits.

I found one on vortex but they were typed instructions with no pictures. Guess I'm a visual person. Couldn't find any on youtube either. So if anyone knows of one feel free to post or use this thread if you plan on doing a DP DIY.

nis240sxt

Ready to race!
Have you seen the CTS instructions? Also, if you're doing this with jackstands/ramp instead of lift, it will be much harder since angling the downpipe out of the way is the hardest part. RjRacing posted this tip:

USP SS Downpipe w/ cat: 1.2hrs install, at least 20 min was spent on just trying to figure out how to get the OEM unit out once it was undone completely (TIP: face the back of the pipe towards the RR tire and rotate cat/dp 90* clockwise to remove). The VAQ diff makes this job even more of a PITA too, it right where the cat needed to come out.

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/CTS MK7 GTI Downpipe Install Instructions.pdf

jshwon

Ready to race!
Nope I didn't see this document. Good info. I may ask Deutsche if they plan on doing a video.

Btw, any concerns from DeMontrond about a downpipe?

witsbusa

Ready to race!
I am going to give it a go on my back under jack / jack stands if the temperature gets above freaking 30 at some point here.. ha. For some strange reason, I am not feeling the normal uncontrollable urge to dive into the project on freezing concrete garage floor with a 20-something degree garage! ha.

MK7Joe

Ready to race!
it looks simple to considering on the mk6 it was a pain in the ass to get a few downpipe nuts off, this vband idea was awesome

Rexican

Passed Driver's Ed
Any other updates/tips on this install? I will be doing a downpipe install next weekend and want to know some tips. I've done this before on my old WRX so I'm hoping it will be a little easier with the vband clamps.

scorptrigger

Passed Driver's Ed
I just tried to do an install of the cts downpipe on my 2016 gti PP. I could not get the old one out so I will need to try again. The 2016 seems to be slightly different, the axle heat shield attaches with two 8mm hex heads in a different location and does not look the same at all. In hind sight I had some of the weight of the engine on my floor jack and some of the cars weight one the jack stands, so pushing the engine up slightly might have reduced the space in the tunnel for removal? Has anyone done this on the 2016? I noticed in the video above they had "sound difficulties" when removing the old downpipe, I have a feeling they were swearing a lot and decided to remove the audio, I found another video on youtube where they skip the removal part entirely, it makes the process look much more romantic.

scorptrigger

Passed Driver's Ed
well, it looks like it would be premature to do the downpipe anyway, I tried to do the ED 1.5 flash last night and found out that the 2016 ECUs are not yet supported.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
I installed my down pipe this past sunday. Removing the stock down pipe was a pain in the ***!

Removing the stocker took about 2 hours, installing the APR took about 15min (no joke). I had a friend helping me and I needed it because I had a badly sprained left hand. I couldn't remove the lower bracket bolt which is blind at an awkward angle, and obstructed by the O2 sensor.

The comment by RJRacing is spot on. The VAQ does increase the difficultly not only removing the stock downpipe but also removing the lower bracket bolts down by the half shaft and differential. Roting the downpipe counter-clockwise and pushing the cat end toward the right rear wheel was the only way it would come out and it took a lot of wrestling to overcome the drag on the heat shielding. The VAQ cover must be removed.

I watched the video BxGTI part way through the downpipe removal just to prove to myself that it could be done!

Jshown, look at the JB1 until the new ECU encryption is cracked.

Djdirect21

Passed Driver's Ed

scorptrigger

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, I think I will be able to get it on my next shot, I appreciate this video! I will probably still wait until they get the tune ready for my 2016 ECU though because I do not want to buy a cell eliminator.

TyTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed the original downpipe comes out fairly easy when twisting counter clockwise as you pull down throught the canal. Counter clockwise assuming you're facing the turbo.