GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else find Mk7 Seats uncomfortable?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just adding that I did the mod to raise the front of the seat ~0.75" and it made a HUGE difference for me. I'm 6'1" and had comfort issues with too much pressure on my tailbone due to the lack of thigh support. The mod made a world of difference and was super easy and cheap. The rest of the seating configuration feels great to me -- the aggressive side bolsters feel nice, and the lumbar support is just right at the max setting.

If you make it out to an event, I'd like to see if it's more comfortable for me. I'm 5'11", so might be different for me.

karro

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
Resurrecting an old thread. Silver lining - I'm not alone in this, but the cloud is obvious: the seats are uncomfortable to the point I'm contemplating selling the car that I bought mere weeks ago. Any drive over 1h results in a lot of back/sciatic pain. 6'2'', 205. Granted, I had a herniated disc some years back, maybe it is acting up now, but my old Civic TypeR seats never gave me any trouble in that area. Somehow I just can't adjust the seat properly in my GTI, the lumbar support is way too low, I'm not sure on the base support - feels like it lacks "substance", if that's even a thing. The general feeling is that I'm sitting on the chair, all tensed up regardless of adjustments, I'm not sitting _in_ the chair. If anyone else had this and managed to solve it - how did you do it?
Is there a way to retrofit 4-way adjustable lumbar support from, say, an Audi? Maybe it's possible to move the existing lumbar support higher up?

MR_wagonR

Car(s)
7.5 WagonR
Pleased to have found this thread. Only had my 7.5R a week and generally happy with it - until I did a 2hr journey yesterday...

Exited the car with lower back pain (never have this) - which I was not expecting. I knew when I got the car the seats were not particularly supportive , more sit 'on' than 'in' (at least compared to the RSfocus I came from) but hadnt expected this. Slightly alarmed at this point as I couldnt see an obvious fix and I love the rest of the car. I think the suggestions around raising the front of rails could be a big part of it so once I have exhausted playing around with the few settings I have got I think I'll try that and report back.

Good to learn I am not alone in this. Its very very odd.

MR_wagonR

Car(s)
7.5 WagonR
Pleased to have found this thread. Only had my 7.5R a week and generally happy with it - until I did a 2hr journey yesterday...

Exited the car with lower back pain (never have this) - which I was not expecting. I knew when I got the car the seats were not particularly supportive , more sit 'on' than 'in' (at least compared to the RSfocus I came from) but hadnt expected this. Slightly alarmed at this point as I couldnt see an obvious fix and I love the rest of the car. I think the suggestions around raising the front of rails could be a big part of it so once I have exhausted playing around with the few settings I have got I think I'll try that and report back.

Good to learn I am not alone in this. Its very very odd.

Update - Right, made the mod. Will report back and see if its made a difference. I hope so.
I've also found a 'leg support extender' - I think the core problem is that they dont support the back of my legs, so the strain goes to my back. Again, if I go that route I will report back.

2 x M10 50mm 1.5 High tensile bolts.
2 x M10 20x20mm aluminium spacer

The bolts come out (gently!) with a T50 torx - you dont need the 12pt XZN.
Dont forget to loosen the rear 2 a little when you raise. The angle difference is actually so small that I didnt even need to shim the spacers.

IMG_6444.jpg
IMG_6447.jpg

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
what do I know, it's matching with the plaid seat lol
a bit expensive but works for me for now
IMG_20220514_144321[1].jpg

MR_wagonR

Car(s)
7.5 WagonR
Update - Right, made the mod. Will report back and see if its made a difference. I hope so.
I've also found a 'leg support extender' - I think the core problem is that they dont support the back of my legs, so the strain goes to my back. Again, if I go that route I will report back.

2 x M10 50mm 1.5 High tensile bolts.
2 x M10 20x20mm aluminium spacer

The bolts come out (gently!) with a T50 torx - you dont need the 12pt XZN.
Dont forget to loosen the rear 2 a little when you raise. The angle difference is actually so small that I didnt even need to shim the spacers.

View attachment 248564View attachment 248565
OK, finally did a long-ish run (2hrs) yesterday.
My conclusion is that it IS better - so for a sub£10 modification its worth doing. For me it gives more support at the back of my long legs (which in turn takes some of the backache away).

However - its not "Oh wow this seat is suddenly amazing". Its made an irritating problem tolerable. Its still a disappointing seat for the price/type of car IMO. But others seem happy - so maybe I just fall into the 1% the geometry of the thing doesnt work for...

Anyway - it is better with the added rake. Feedback complete !

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I found a set of rs3 seats for $1600. Very tempted to purchase them, seeing as they are a bolt in afair for mk7's.

From a crashed RS3? Make sure they haven't had the airbags deployed. Definitely would be a fun/frustrating/rewarding project lol.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Always hate to resurrect an old thread, but finally found the M10 50mm bolts that support the extra spacing. However the only bushings I've been able to find are 1 in. long which I think is going to be too much added lift. Does anyone think there's a safety concern with using a stack of 3/8" steel washers rather than a solid spacer? My potential hesitation is in the event of a very hard stop (or god forbid, collision) that there might be more opportunity for the seat to become unsecured somehow. Paranoia or legit concern?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Always hate to resurrect an old thread, but finally found the M10 50mm bolts that support the extra spacing. However the only bushings I've been able to find are 1 in. long which I think is going to be too much added lift. Does anyone think there's a safety concern with using a stack of 3/8" steel washers rather than a solid spacer? My potential hesitation is in the event of a very hard stop (or god forbid, collision) that there might be more opportunity for the seat to become unsecured somehow. Paranoia or legit concern?
FWIW, I use a 20mm bushing which is 0.8in, and it’s not too high. I can’t imagine an extra 0.2in making much of a difference.

I can’t think of a reason a stack of washers would be any more of a safety risk, but I am not an engineer.