GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR intercooler = INSTALLED!

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
your surging was because you started your car too soon after reconnecting the battery. the surging is the throttle plate going thru its adjustments.

ah thank you

awesome man, any noticeable gains. car runs smoother in the heat?

about multi quoting. next to the quote icon theres another one on the right of it. its a little square with small diamond looking shapes in it that make up a big diamond. click that on all the posts you want to quote except the last one and on the last post you want to quote, click the regular quote icon. thats how you multi quote. hope it makes sense.

also, if you wouldnt mind, post a mod list please :biggrin:

thanks for the tip on the multi quoting!

as for running smoother in the heat, yes absolutely. today it was a lot hotter than it has been, it hit about 85 and it was humid. I was in stop and go traffic and some wide open road and in all situations, I had my stage 1 power on demand at all times. I did lose noise though...my intake/dv/turbo woosh was no longer as audible in the heat/humidity, but I was boosting fine, and the noises came back tonight when driving around in the cooler air...low 70's, less humidity.

my mod list is on the first page, but here's a repost for you :thumbsup:

APR Stage 1 fully loaded ECU
APR Carbonio Intake
APR Intercooler
APR HPFP

I realize I have everything except my RSC exhaust haha, but thats because DBC hasn't sent it yet! I've sent them numerous emails/private messages to no avail...they've even already charged my credit card! Oh well, I'll be stage 2 plus soon enough

based on your labor effort, would you try a eurojet or vf eng kit if they were priced the same?

I honestly haven't read up on them very much, but from what I understand there's some trimming correct? I'm not sure how much and I don't own a dremmel. Also, with the APR intercooler, there was almost no plumbing so I couldn't give you any guidance on those pipes or what kind of procedure installation of them would entail. But I can promise you that you'd probably not have to rip off as much with those intercoolers as I did with the APR.

MJ Century

Don't Read This!
Car(s)
Tornado Red MkV GTI
did you have to disconnect/drain radiator or anything? or did you just slide the intercoolers in/out between radiator and ac condensor?

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
did you have to disconnect/drain radiator or anything? or did you just slide the intercoolers in/out between radiator and ac condensor?

no, radiator stayed connected, no draining needed. the only thing that needs to be drained or clamped, your choice, is the hose which connects to the headlight washers. I don't have those, so I didn't have to.

the intercooler is bolted in between them with 5 torx screws (1 in each corner, and one on the passenger side). just unscrew and slide it out. that's what she said.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Good write up...been thinking about doing this as well. Since this mod costs over a grand...would you say it's worth it? Please be honest. Can you really feel the extra gains? Or is it more modest?

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
Good write up...been thinking about doing this as well. Since this mod costs over a grand...would you say it's worth it? Please be honest. Can you really feel the extra gains? Or is it more modest?

this isn't a mod that actually makes you feel gains. instead it's more of a consistancy thing...My engine will perform at its best longer than a car that doesn't have this intercooler. I bought this when it was on sale back in the fall when APR had some sale pricing. If it was at regular pricing, I'd be more hesitant to purchase. Just make sure you jump on the sales and it makes things more worth your while :thumbsup:

Interesting. Larger intercooler and you're boosting higher?

again, this is just as indicated by my boost gauge; not the most accurate tool in the shed :rolleyes:

MasterGunnZ

The sex
Car(s)
GTI
Looks like a pain in the *** install. I'm happy with my EJ FMIC. It took about half hour to get installed. Nothing difficult.

SDM

Ready to race!
I think both companies make really nice intercoolers, still trying to decide. Would be great if the AC condensor could be located elsewhere, then take that APR intercooler and move it forwards a few inches away from the hot radiator with spacers :) Problem is where does the condensor go :)

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
update is on page one in the first post.
and to the above post, just delete the condensor, and all the AC. I drive around with the windows open most of the time anyway :p

the 17 turbo cars dude

Ready to race!

alexmkv

Ready to race!
... it's perfectly normal to have a small amount of oil in the intercooler piping, just a small FYI.
i'd be more worried if there was no oil in there. The SRT4's have a lot more, they actually had a TSB posted telling dealers to leave them as is because they were trying to fix "this issue" when there's really nothing wrong.