GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
You could also make an option 4 where you do all the soldering for the people who have no idea what they are doing :thumbsup:

I'm currently considering whether I should go with #1, but I already have a CANUSB....

My soldering is too crappy to sell to others :) else it would have been listed.

wireb

We now have a full order of 6 (Golf just to verify you want 2 sets of cards right?)

who option firmware zip
Me (wireb) 3 buttons got_zip
GTI Fahrenheit 3 buttons got_zip
nhbubba 3 n/a 3 dump got_zip
2x Golfdubcrazy 3 dump got_zip
darcness 3 (PMs in progress don't forget to send me your zip:0)

Paypal works for me there will be a small adder for the paypal fee. Payment will be due after I get the parts in before I ship. That way if there is any major fail in the raw card your not on the hook :).

Tonight when I get back to the hotel room I will get the order to digikey finalized and get the real price. Note I forgot to add a socket for the micro to the bom and I may need to swap out one resistor to a 1% unit. Should add a buck or two at most. Once I get that submitted I will post back on the final costs with shipping and fees (for those I have zips on :)

Once I get a responce back from everyone that they are ok on the price I will place the orders for the raw cards and all the parts.

wireb

had some down time and got the digikey quote done.
Total after shipping (UPS ground gets to my place the next day) and taxes (I live in MN so have to pay state taxes). was just under $25.

So the current total for option 3
$15 raw card
$25 parts
$3 programing and paypal fee
$? shipping (varies by zip and package weight. WORST case US will be 4.95 for a priority small flate rate box. UK will be 13.45 for the same flat rate box. Once the parts are here and I can weigh them I will find the cheapest method the post office offers unless someone tells me otherwise :)

So looks like $48 worst case for US residents and $57 wost case for the UK (each set or $100 even for the pair in the same shipping box to the UK).

If your ok with this price just quote this message back to the forum and I will place the orders as soon as I hear back from everyone.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
had some down time and got the digikey quote done.
Total after shipping (UPS ground gets to my place the next day) and taxes (I live in MN so have to pay state taxes). was just under $25.

So the current total for option 3
$15 raw card
$25 parts
$3 programing and paypal fee
$? shipping (varies by zip and package weight. WORST case US will be 4.95 for a priority small flate rate box. UK will be 13.45 for the same flat rate box. Once the parts are here and I can weigh them I will find the cheapest method the post office offers unless someone tells me otherwise :)

So looks like $48 worst case for US residents and $57 wost case for the UK (each set or $100 even for the pair in the same shipping box to the UK).

If your ok with this price just quote this message back to the forum and I will place the orders as soon as I hear back from everyone.

Sounds good to me, my zip is 48439. Also, I'll have to do some digging today and see if I can get this to control Centrafuse. Is there any way you can use this to emulate a keyboard? Or perhaps even a joypad? I know there are programs for Centrafuse that turn input into keyboard presses. How does this card input to the computer? Just serial messages right?

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI

i am quite content with the price. :)
thanks wireb!

wireb

Is there any way you can use this to emulate a keyboard? Or perhaps even a joypad? I know there are programs for Centrafuse that turn input into keyboard presses. How does this card input to the computer? Just serial messages right?

I recently did see an article about emulating a PS2 keyboard but would have to do some digging where it was at.

Joystick should be doable. I can modify the code to set pins on the micro high / low when a specific button is pressed. You would just have to rework the adapter to bring those pins over and interface to the joystick of your choice. (Could do the same thing with a keyboard)

Interface today to the PC is RS232 115.2kbps 8n1. By default the adapter starts scanning and forwarding messages from power on. (no setup needed from the PC)

Again most of this stuff can be changed if something works out better. The hard part of the button decode is done. Making the output format useful is easy :).

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Yeah, I'd imagine we could figure something out. Don't older joypads work on the serial bus anyway? I'm thinking that if we could find a way to have the computer see the serial messages from the board as joypad inputs, I could then use a program like joy2key which converts joypad signals into keyboard inputs. Then Centrafuse setup would be simple as there is already a plugin for such a thing.

wireb

The PCB company I order from has a special deal for 3 2.5" x 3.8" raw cards. I can fit 2 adapter on each one.

Right now as things stand we have a full order. If anyone does not respond you will be first on the list as a replacement.

I am willing to do another order if we can find enough people who want raw cards. (min order on raw cards will be 6 adapters.) Parts there is no real price break until you get over 12 or so adapters.

Also I want to hold off on a second batch of 6 until after I have a chance to check out the first batch. Rather not eat the cost on 12 adapter if I don't have to (6 would be bad enough)

wireb

Yeah, I'd imagine we could figure something out. Don't older joypads work on the serial bus anyway? I'm thinking that if we could find a way to have the computer see the serial messages from the board as joypad inputs, I could then use a program like joy2key which converts joypad signals into keyboard inputs. Then Centrafuse setup would be simple as there is already a plugin for such a thing.

No old joysticks were "game port" devices. There were no brains in them just switches wired to a 15 pin connector. So very easy to deal with.

Like I said would not take me long to put a image together just want to get the serial version and the dump code done and out the door first :)

wireb

Is there any way to attach files to the forum without uploading to a third party?
I almost have the new serial dump code done and was going to post the command documentation for those who care.

wireb

For those using the "button" firmware here are the strings I will send out for the different button. Note each string will be followed by a carriage return, line feed.

string = real data Byte button
BU0 = 0x00 No buttons pressed
BU1 = 0x06 Volume up
BU2 = 0x07 Volume down
BU3 = 0x2b mute
BU4 = 0x1a phone
BU5 = 0x0a menu
BU6 = 0x28 ok
BU7 = 0x22 up
BU8 = 0x23 down

I should have the firmware updates done in a few hours here. But will not get to test them until I get back.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi

$48 pp'ed to you, got it. Works for me.

Just tell me when you have the parts and are looking for payment. .. And get me your address somehow.

..Wait, I have your address from the source for your trailer adapter. PayPal to your hotmail address?

Any way to split the loader from the rest of the image, to reduce the chance of corruption? Looking forward to digging into this, maybe contributing something useful.

wireb

Yep will send out PM with my email once the parts are here. Hold off on any payments until I get the parts in.

The update code is separate but if you screw up the code that does the communications it there is no way to push a new image in. Like I said before only veged one of them. Long as you have a good image and don't unplug power the risks are low.