GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Boat Salesman In Florida Colluding With Chicago, Sauce Level Rises In Deep Dish Pizzas

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
As long as the less qualified person can still do the job, I don't see an issue with that. In a team based environment, the ability to mesh with everyone else is a pretty crucial thing.
oh i know, and i agree 100%.

just blows more holes in the whole "why not hire based on blah blah blah"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
depending on employer size...small shop I have become key person because I can do everything (except play nice). I can get along with folks but don't have good social skills esp. if the other person is an idiot (see my post yesterday about arguing with owner/engineer)

also yesterday I was rude to sales person who lied when I asked "is this a cold call?" and I was snarky to the UPS AI.

I online track a package... " It'll be there tomorrow"
then a AI pop-up in a giant window

AI...."I see you tracked a package....is there anything else I can do for you?"
me...."I wish you wouldn't open a a large pop-up window"
AI......"I don't understand your question, could you re-phrase it for me?"
me....."It wasn't a question, it was an answer to your question"
AI....."call this number xxxx-xxxx"

I felt better after that

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
The question really isn't "do you need a degree?" but "do the clowns hiring you think that you need a degree?"
hit the nail on the head

and while we can argue theory all we want on what the right method SHOULD be, it doesn't change the reality of the job market.

Realistically then, you're looking for somebody born in the 70's
...buddy.......I have bad news about what year is 36 years ago..........

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
One of the kids on our team died on Monday. Cancer. Sad stuff, only 40. Wife, two kids, etc...

Work wise, absolutely sucks. Our team was already struggling because we lost a team member through layoffs a couple months ago. He was the counterpart to what I did, all the reports we produce I was the data guy, and he was the people person. At least for now, I gotta be the people person as well...

Were they a veteran?

cb1111

theres also the fun part of that where you can interview two people and one is better qualified for the job than the other but they're obnoxious and abrasive in the interview process and you take the less qualified person because you know they'll get along better with everyone in the team.
Certainly. That's what I did regularly - but many truly qualified candidates get weeded out by not having the "right" prerequisites"

I once hired a guy who was completely unqualified for the job, but I saw him install a room of server racks and saw the care he took in making sure that everything was neat and labeled.

He was from PR and couldn't write well in English, so I had somebody sit down with him and work on his resume. The hiring panel was so-so with him, but he impressed them with his desire for the job and the research he had done on our organization.

One of the best guys I've ever hired. He's gotten promoted several times now - still can't write - but gets others to turn his Spanglish into English.

cb1111

hit the nail on the head

and while we can argue theory all we want on what the right method SHOULD be, it doesn't change the reality of the job market.

...buddy.......I have bad news about what year is 36 years ago..........
I never said my degree was in math.......

I wrote the article about 10 years ago, so if it was right then, then it is right now!

cb1111

Is anybody watching the news - with those clowns at Portland rushing the cops holding cut apart plastic trashcans as shields?

Hilarious.

They need to be locked up until mommy and daddy comes to bail them out and pays their share of the police response - it cost $600,000 and we arrested 300 clowns - here's your bill for $2000. - I think I did the math right....

1714668761883.png

1714668849292.png

and then bounces off the cop as if he hit a brick wall

1714669043664.png

It is half of a fucking Rubbermaid trash can. Which was probably stolen from the school - so theft, destruction of property, littering (the trashcans probably weren't empty etc.

Last edited:

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
theres also the fun part of that where you can interview two people and one is better qualified for the job than the other but they're obnoxious and abrasive in the interview process and you take the less qualified person because you know they'll get along better with everyone in the team.
As far as I'm aware having a shit attitude counts toward being good for the job/company or not, so I would subtract points from their qualification rank.
Put you you just said into practical terms.

You're a hiring manager for "ForumDouche Inc, LLC". You post a job for a new mod online and in less than a week you've got over a 100 candidates for that role. Is the best method for finding a good fit to dig into each and every person's skills, have a one on one with them, and sit down to figure out if they're right for the job? Of course it is, but there is absolutely no way to do that with 100 candidates so you need to start limiting the field, ideally to 2-3 candidates. Then you can send those 2-3 along to one on one interviews.

How are you going to do that?

....let me know how many steps you get to before "college degrees/certifications" comes up as your next candidate elimination point. If you're one of those 100 applicants and you don't have a degree or a personal reference from a current forumdouche, I've got some bad news for you.
For sure. I agree with you here.
If the HM recognizes any of the candidates, they get priority, and so long as they don't show any red flags in the skills/people dept, it's likely they'll be hired. Applying through websites does work, but your chances pale in comparison to applying through your network.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
A couple years we got a Goodman system installed. But then I finished 3rd in our class to my wife who finished 2nd (both of us behind an STS NA Miata), so you might live to regret the Goodman ;)

So you're gonna live in a round house? :poop:

Really though, me and Mrs. Nine have separate bank accounts, but use a spreadsheet (because I'm a nerd) to balance out our costs so that everything gets split 50/50. I wind up transferring money to her biweekly since more of the bills are in her name, but we're still paying equal shares, and the spreadsheets have record of me paying her to make everything square. You can do one bank account or two, but honestly I find two makes it easier because we communicate, which is gonna be the key to any good relationship. We talk about bigger purchases, I usually ask her before I buy something big for the car, and we talk before committing to bigger house projects. BUT, there's no 'oh well I put x into the joint account and you need to put y in to match', my money is still mine BUT we're pretty transparent.

Oh, and it's not romantic, but get a prenup, while things are good. It's easy insurance that you both hope will never be used, but it makes it easy in the event someone wants to split up.

Money is the #1 thing that couples fight about. If you remember that, it makes it easy to recognize when you and Mrs. Aspro are about to get into it about something dumb. Your partner is supposed to be a teammate, and the hope is that you both support each other's weaknesses with your own strengths.

also RE: education, I dropped out of college roughly three weeks in. I thought I wanted to teach Highschool English. Got my foot in the door by a stroke of luck doing laptop/tablet repairs, and then from there IT jobs. Networking helped, but also being able to grow within my hobbies and build skills to make a career viable. Current job as a glorified printer mechanic (computers too) interview was a lot of me talking about my homelab and automotive hobbies, where I built and improved my skills fixing things AND troubleshooting/understanding processes.
Saul Goodman
Makes sense on the bank acct stuff.

Also most of my interviews have been personality heavy as opposed to technical heavy ("sell me this pen" type of crap lol)
Yes, I am 20 and don't have much experience to my name... but most companies will still train employees for whatever job they're going into.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Saul Goodman
Makes sense on the bank acct stuff.

Also most of my interviews have been personality heavy as opposed to technical heavy ("sell me this pen" type of crap lol)
Yes, I am 20 and don't have much experience to my name... but most companies will still train employees for whatever job they're going into.
Sell me this pen is such an annoying thing, thankfully I haven't encountered it in a long time. And I think when you're younger, it's less about showing experience and more about showing drive/desire to improve your skillset. At least, that seems to be what's worked for me, because on paper I shouldn't be allowed within 20ft of a computer and somehow I'm trusted with fixing them

also v unrelated but Regular Show is a top tier show, the ending is quite the emotional rollercoaster but so well done

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
Sell me this pen is such an annoying thing, thankfully I haven't encountered it in a long time. And I think when you're younger, it's less about showing experience and more about showing drive/desire to improve your skillset. At least, that seems to be what's worked for me, because on paper I shouldn't be allowed within 20ft of a computer and somehow I'm trusted with fixing them

also v unrelated but Regular Show is a top tier show, the ending is quite the emotional rollercoaster but so well done
Regular show was the best.
"5...6...7...8... *music jingle*... Give us a raise loser!"

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't know a single person who has a "career level" job making decent money who wasn't some sort of referral or had an "in" at the company.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FL sounds on the higher side.

10k for a metal roof but it was done by a roofer that is just him and his family.

I thought 10k was a great price for how much roof I have.

View attachment 304128
Mine is b2500 Sq ft single story with 3 car garage. It's a massive roof.